Large Scale Central

Trackwork at Williamsport

The eastbound entry switch to Williamsport had a couple of issues. It was about a #4, AND it was curved, AND on the top of a grade, AND it was inaccessible without stepping on plants. So, I moved it about 15", and adjusted the main and passing siding. Here’s the new switch in place.

A bit further back, showing the switch that will lead to the car float.

And the view the other way

Bob your layout is really looking nice with all the plants growing around. Big difference from last year

Thanks Shawn. The spring crew saw the layout before all the plants started sprouting. Those two big hostas need to be trimmed/moved/etc.

Looking good Bob. Is the alignment on the carfloat switch a little whacky or is it just the pic?

Looking good Bob. BTW whats that interesting looking pipe coming out of the ground in your last picture?

Chuck Inlow said:
Looking good Bob. BTW whats that interesting looking pipe coming out of the ground in your last picture?
Probably an undeveloped industry. Sludge works?

Dave: Must be camera angle or something, I just double checked it and its straight.

Chuck: That’s the fresh air vent for the septic system. Gonna cover it with a grain elevator or something…

Nice.
Looks better than mine…
David

Quote:
That's the fresh air vent for the septic system.
Hey Bob, remind me not to visit your back yard after you've served a good mexican dinner! Hehehe I'm on septic also, but I don't have one of those interesting looking fresh air vents coming out of mine.

Chuck

So Bob are the cars going to be floating on air?
Sean

Rules concerning septic systems vary from locality to locality, where I live new systems are required to have an aeration pump which is a motor that runs continuously and keeps the gunk stirred up in the tank so it deteriorates quicker and the tank is vented to the atmosphere. These are major maintenance headache as the motors tend to fail on a regular basis. Mine was installed years before the new regs so I’m grandfathered as long as I don’t make any changes to the system. The health department checks these periodically so if yours is not working you’ll get a notice !

the aeration pump in my system runs on a timer… 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off… it’s wired back to a timer close to the electrical panel… It will also emit an alarm, if the pump doesn’t work…

Gary Buchanan said:
Rules concerning septic systems vary from locality to locality, where I live new systems are required to have an aeration pump which is a motor that runs continuously and keeps the gunk stirred up in the tank so it deteriorates quicker and the tank is vented to the atmosphere. These are major maintenance headache as the motors tend to fail on a regular basis. Mine was installed years before the new regs so I'm grandfathered as long as I don't make any changes to the system. The health department checks these periodically so if yours is not working you'll get a notice !
And? ;)

Nice solution to that switch issue, Bob…:wink:

David Russell said:
Gary Buchanan said:
Rules concerning septic systems vary from locality to locality, where I live new systems are required to have an aeration pump which is a motor that runs continuously and keeps the gunk stirred up in the tank so it deteriorates quicker and the tank is vented to the atmosphere. These are major maintenance headache as the motors tend to fail on a regular basis. Mine was installed years before the new regs so I'm grandfathered as long as I don't make any changes to the system. The health department checks these periodically so if yours is not working you'll get a notice !
And? ;)
That would be a sand mound. The grandfather thing aint worth crap, if they say you have to change it that's what U you do. Grand father don't mean anything any more.

Between vacation, and the 100+ degree temps, its taken me a while to get the rest of the benchwork done at Williamsport, but I finished it this morning while it was still 90! Here’s the new benchwork looking toward where the float bridge and car ferry will be.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bob_mccown/_forumfiles/2011-07-22_11-11-30_938.jpg)

There’ll be another RH switch splitting the spur into two. The passing siding here will get moved over a bit since we have the benchwork for it. Those of you that were here last year know there was a clearance issue on this runaround.

Beautiful landscaping and trackwork Bob even with the vent pipe! No vent pipes out here though. We just keep filling until it blows up. :slight_smile:

Interesting, I’m a certified septic system installer. Which does not mean I’m an expert. I did it so I could install my own, but I had to get the training. Out here we dont use aerators, and I would be strongly opposed to them. In order for a septic system to function properly and have a good bacteria base, you need a scum layer. This layer is on top of the liquid. Also if your breaking up the solids to send them out to your drainfield, your going to wear out your drainfield quicker, only liquid should be going to your drainfield.

Anyways, hyjack over. The layout is great. Do you put ballast down around the track or leave it with the wood exposed?

This bit will have ballast, etc on it. Anything higher (i.e. not directly on the ground) is left to its own devices.

Finished up the trackwork at Williamsport, less the float bridge and ferry. The curve of the siding has been eased, and the track at the freight shed moved around a bit.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bob_mccown/Trackwork/wp/2011-07-25_12-11-50_685.jpg)