Large Scale Central

Track puller thingamajig?

Am I dreaming or was someone selling a clamp type thing that you could pull two sections of track together
to close up gaps?
I’ve got to lift most of my track and put it back together after 6 years since it’s last re-alignment.
I’m beginning to think that floating track isn’t the answer.

John,
You’re not dreaming, someone was advertising a tool like that. It was just a little leverage arm, probably was reviewed in GR.

Hey John just build a building over your layout and that way the weather won’t effect the movement of the track and we can run all year long.

After doing an assessment yesterday, I may level the layout and take up knitting for a hobby. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
To keep it all snug, I need about 240 rail clamps. At what? $2.00 a piece? I haven’t checked prices.
I tried a few Accucraft clamps and they don’t fit my LGB track that well. And pull apart, or fall off.

Hillman John, only Hillman. Remember I’m still a dealer.

I have to join in John’s lament about the price of connectors. It seems… wrong. Two bucks for that lil’ thing? But, until somebody offers or identifies a more cost-effective alternative, that is the best way to go.

The free market is practically rolling over on its back and BEGGING someone to figure out how to connect two bits of metal for a buck or less. Not criticizing the current offerings or their prices, just saying that there seems to be an opportunity here.

Rail clamps are not a guarantee of keeping the track sections together. In the fall, after the heat of the summer, the rails contract, and, with the ties held snug by the ballast, the rail clamps fail.

It all depends on how you lay your track, the temperature you set the clamps, whether you free float your track, etc.

If you free float your track in ballast, you will find that generally rail clamps hold.

If you try to secure your track so it won’t move, the gods of physics will rear their heads and teach you a lesson, and there’s not a clamp in the world that will stop it.

Greg

You must be using rail joiners.
I have both rail joiners and clamps. I had some sections on my RR that I wanted to change around this summer after being down and free floating for the lst 2 years and I found gaps that didn’t want to close. Apon closer inspection I couldn’t push the 2 pieces of track together due to the conductive grease I had used which had now hardened up with a bit of dirt thrown in and it was impossible to squeeze them together. I took a very small screwdriver and cleaned out the gunk until I could press the track together.
Maybe you are having a similar problem of gunk built up in your joiners?
Rail clamps are expensive. I have tried cheaper ones like AML I think they are and they simply didn’t hold. I like Hillman, Split jaw.
I suggest looking for and waiting to pounce on used ones when they come along at a decent price.

Yeah, except for turnouts, I use the factory LGB rail joiners.
The track floats. Some is still perfect without any gaps, other sections have pulled apart significantly.
I don’t use track power, so conductress is not an issue.
I live with gaps of, say, up to 3/16": but now they are getting wider and wider and some even coming apart.

Exactly the reason I like the Aristo joiners with screws. I hate the tiny hex drive screws they use and replace them with the Phillips head that I remove from under the ties on bent track. A lot of my track has been outside almost 10 years now, some of it floating, and I’m not having any separation issues. I use Split-Jaw clamps at all my switches and about every 15-20 feet to allow for maintenance dis-assembly.

I do have a few spots where the Splt-Jaws will open large gaps in the winter, but it’s usually an easy fix and only happens in a few spots.

My railroad is quite a bit smaller than yours John.

Chuck Inlow said:
Hillman John, only Hillman. Remember I'm still a dealer.
Grey area, Chuck. Hillman isn't Hillman any more. Their website has shown none in stock for months now. You get me 240 clamps and I'll pick them up next week. :) :) :)

I heard, like Bob Hartford, Hillman took his business back. Is this accurate? I’m a Split-Jaw guy (because of SS track) but there are some products like Bridge Clamps (for lift-outs) that only Hillman makes.

It just points out, if you see some item made by an individual you should get it now. Many are retired folks and after a few years they have problems and quit doing it. These items just won’t be around for years and years, they come and go, some never come back. So, if you think you can use it now, or down the line, now is the time to order it.

Does BBT ring a bell? For several years I always told myself that I’ll get me one of those superdrives someday… I’m lucky, one of his last drives got here Thur.

I tracked down the the track puller six months or so ago. They wanted $175 bucks for it!

I just talked to Richard Hillman this week. He didn’t say anything about still being in business.

Jon, split Jaw does indeed make lift out bridge clamps, I have both hillman and sj ones, prefer the hillman ones.

Greg

Richard said:
I just talked to Richard Hillman this week. He didn't say anything about still being in business.
Thanks Dick. Maybe it was just a rumor, or maybe it got confused with someone else. I think I heard this at teh East Coast show last spring.

@Greg. Thanks, I didn’t know that. I’ll take a look.

The Hillmans sold the business to Alan Stewart a few years ago. He is located in Florence, SC.

Here is a link to Hillman Railclamps home page:

http://www.hillmanrailclamps.com/

The phone number:
843-407-6659

Alan’s email address:
[email protected]

Last time I ordered was about 4 months ago. Product and service were both good. Shipping was slightly slower than when the Hillmans owned it, but the distance is greater. I haven’t seen anything that would indicate he is no longer doing it.

Like Greg, I prefer the Hillman bridge clamps. They are really easy to adjust and work great!

Happy RRing,

Jerry