Large Scale Central

Todd H. Mik2024

Todd
Not Aluminium cans, but sheet metal?

It’s 36 gauge aluminum. I couldn’t bear the tedious chore of cutting out all those cans so I found this roll on Amazon. Doing it like this means fewer seams. I did cut my thumb on the metal so I guess the Mik got his sacrifice of blood. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sweet,

I am not the only lamb at the slaughter.

I’m curious Todd, are you having to anneal the aluminum first before crimping? I have always been told this is something I should do to make life easier but I don’t find it difficult to crimp the cans, at least, without doing it so never have. Is it soft enough as is off the roll?

I never understood the need to anneal. The average can is 37 gauge and this is a whisker thicker at 36 gauge and it is no trouble to crimp it.

1 Like

Todd,

Shouldn’t you be allowed hold on to your sacrifice for a time of need?

It sounds like the gods were quite happy with Devon’s sacrifice this year and rewarded him well. This year, the gods gave Devon the Power of Finishing, and the rest of us a MasterClass in hemoglobin physiology. I mean what more could we ask for?

2 Likes

@Devon_Sinsley There is no need to anneal the common cans of today but it could allow deeper crimping with less effort. Years ago when those articles were written the Aluminum used was a bit thicker and different alloy.

1 Like

Makes sense Dan. I run can aluminum through once then back it through again and that seems great. I am happy with it. Glad people are having the same results.

It’s coming down to the wire! The decal arrived today so that is awesome but I’m still trying to figure out how to work the vinyl cutter so I can make 4 silhouette windows for the lighthouse silos.
I misplaced a door but luckily I had 3d printed another for a future project so today I primed, painted and cut a piece of plexi for it. It will go on tomorrow.
I am so pleased with how this cranberrry tower came out.

We use E6000 to attach anything to anything with the obvious exception of foam!

Eric

1 Like

Todd,
For your metal sheeting…
Do you do a single pass through the crimper, or multiple passes?

A single pass is usually good.

The build is DONE! My wife helped me with the vinyl cutter and the silos look awesome!
I wanted to replicate these ones at a cement plant a few towns over.

They painted them to resemble Nauset Lighthouse that stands on the National Seashore in Eastham MA. It is the one that is on the Cape Cod Potato chip bag.

Here are mine that we will store cranberries in.

I think the building looks great and it will be a terrific addition to the RR.

4 Likes

That’s cool. Never seen a faux window on an elevator. That’s a cool detail. You done good.

Funny you mention cranberries. I need to get a boat or fix my pontoon boat. I discovered last year the remnants of a cranberry operation that someone attempted at some point in the past. While fishing I found this odd flooded foliage with big red berries. After doing my research they are cranberries. Now wild and mostly forgotten. I want to harvest some.

Great looking silos, Todd. You replicated the originals very well. The fake windows are a nice touch on both accounts.

2 Likes

Eric I used E6000?on the detail pieces on this years MIK

They are holding and not so much melting that they are solidly on there!

Huh…well, we will have to try it again. I swore it ate away our foam!

Eric

There are different ways to harvest cranberries. You can do it dry by hand or with a scoop or the modern way is to flood the bog and use machinery to shake the vines and the berries float to be collected. This all happens in the Fall. We used to have loads of bogs in my area but they are slowly being converted back into the wild due to the taxes on the land being more than the crop from that acreage is worth. Finding help that wants to work a tough dirty job is also a problem.

The country has become soft and lazy, farming and trade work has become hard to hire people for it, the trades can really pay well but kids now don’t want to work , they want video game jobs