Large Scale Central

Todd H. Mik2024

Silly me. I had the filament just like I had the wood, nails, glue etc… so why would it add a cost to the budget?
I know that there has been a debate about using the 3D technology and it does feel a bit like cheating because these windows and a couple of doors that are currently being printed are going to add so much realism to my build that I could not have done otherwise. “Cheating” because not everyone has access to a 3D printer but then again some do not have a table saw to rip lumber or a pin nailer to put it all together.

Today I hope to get to cladding the exterior but I first need to rip some plastic strips for the foundation on the “garage”. I also have to make some decisions on the silos.

Speaking of a pin nailer, I have to hijack the thread for a moment to whine cry complain. About 5 years ago I purchased a Kobalt air compressor from Lowe’s, a small 20 gallon tank , well air developed an air leak , and when I took it apart to fix the leak the cheap metal manifold the holds the gauges and the regulator fell apart, so I have no way to do nailing and other air tool work. First time I have been disappointed by a Kobalt /Lowe’s tool. Rant over back to regularly scheduled work.

If you have a truck tire (Like a Spare Tire), get a hose adaptor to fit onto the tire nipple to your gun, and fill it at a filling station. Pin Nailers use very little volume, would drive a lot of pins on one 90lb fill.

That is a good idea in a pinch.

Update: Work has been moving right along and the framing is just about done. I took the building outside for a couple of glamor shots. :grin:
I have already started cladding the exterior with 1/8x 3/4 planks placed vertically. I am going to need to rip more of it and luckily today I have a clear weather window. I take my table saw outdoors to cut down on the dust.
I think the silos will work at the height I cut them. I’m thinking about putting a flat top on them, a safety railing and a dormer with a doorway for access. A few towns over there is a cement plant that painted one of their silos like a famous lighthouse, the one that adorns the Cape Cod Potato chip bag. I might try that on one silo.
I usually use hardibacker board for my roofs but I’m considering cutting up some of our old metal real estate signs.
I also 3D printed some doors, thanks again Dan for the files, and I need to figure out where they will go. I’m going to plank the whole building and then cut in for the windows and doors.

This isn’t the location for the building but just a flat spot to set it up.

1 Like

That is coming out very cool. Looks to be very much prototypical as near as I can tell. Should be a right nice building.

Nauset Light in Eastham is the logo on the Cape Cod Potato Chip bag.

Thanks Devon. I’m borrowing elements from the old and the new styles.

Yes that is the one David. I can’t find a photo online of the silo in Dennis so I will have to get over there soon to get a better idea of how they did it.

The build is coming along.
I built the silos so they could be removable. I cut and glued discs to the bottom and screwed each into the base. The top will be a a deck with railings.

The planking is about done and the holes for the windows and doors are being cut out. I have been adding reinforcement to the planks from behind where needed. I added a little shed on the side because it looked like the building needed a bit of balance. I used a chunk of 4x4, added the plastic foundation and planked it.

I just realized that I forgot to close in the back of the garage. I don’t want critters nesting in there so I will close it off with a chunk of plywood or something.

No work tomorrow, I’ll be at the train show but work will resume Sunday.

5 Likes

Great looking elevator, Todd. That’s a big structure which adds to the authenticity, well done.

Getting better each time I see it. And your making quick work of it. This is definitely at the top of my list of favorites early on.

Thanks guys.

I was at the train show in Springfield yesterday so nothing was done on the build but today I managed to close off the open section in the “garage” to keep critters from nesting in there. I also cut out 2 holes for small windows and 3D printed them.
Most of my buildings use hardibacker board for the roofs but with this one I was thinking about either using plastic sign material or metal. I have a bunch of old real estate signs from our business that are scratched up that will be perfect for this build. In this photo the bosses are checking out how the metal will look and I think it will work.

What would be the best way to attach the metal. I’m thinking E6000 after scuffing and painting it. Speaking of painting I am getting close to decision time on that. My wife is thinking a dark green? In my research I have seen these grain silos in red, white and grey but I have too much red on the RR already. Thoughts?

1 Like

Todd,
Clearly cement roofing has worked for you and James Hardie products are something I actually can get here! What sort of climate do you have? We get 0-45 degrees centigrade here. I probably need to ask @Rooster what happened on his railway and he would highly not recommend it.

Hardibacker is water “resistant” not water “proof”

Bill,
Allow the Challenge to happen as Todd’s Mik 2024 thread is not the place to discuss my experience with Hardibacker outside

Yes, Apologies Todd.
I went off piste again, too excited.

Yep - That would be my choice. Used it to attach the Taylor Tin on several of my builds.

Happy wife, Happy Life :innocent: :sunglasses:

Unless it is a Harvestore metal gain bin/ silo, ( Dark blue) almost all I have seen have been white / gray or tan, so green would be eye catching. There was a Facebook page of murals on silos in Canada and northern Midwest ststes

And here is a Harvestore silo

Paint away , if they can be blue they can sure can be green

Looking great. This will be a nice piece