Large Scale Central

Tiny Articulated

It looks like an articulated to me and very specifically a Mallet design (ish). The rear set of cylinders are smaller than the front set (compound) which is a characteristic of a Mallet due to the increased volume of the cooler steam. It also looks to me that there is no fixed boiler support on that front “truck” which would mean that the front truck could pivot.

Not sure what you mean by a compound cylinder arrangement and not being an articulated. Because a Mallet is by definition a compound arrangement. The boiler would not have to supply a full head to four cylinders. It supplies a full head to the two small-ones and then recycles it to the big ones. That is one of the key features that makes a Mallet a Mallet.

What I don’t see is the plumbing from the rear cylindrical to the front cylinders that I would expect to see.

Devon, read again, you both agree.

A Mallet is a compound loco, articulated was coined to mean equal cylinders.

Mr. Mallets invention was using the steam twice, possible because of steams constant desire to expand.

Personally I’d rather see variations of ‘real’ US designs! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)The Koppel isn’t as much of a stretch, I rode behind one in Colorado in the last century. Yep by cracky, a way back in '96!

John

John Caughey said:

Have fun!

John

thats on my TO DO list :slight_smile:

Well thank you for that clarification John. I thought Dave was saying it wasn’t a Mallet and also did not articulate. I realize that not all articulated locomotives are Mallets but I didn’t realize that “articulated” was coined to mean equal cylinders. so that certainly explains Dave’s comment

Sorry Dave, my misunderstanding. I thought articulated meant any locomotive that bent. I should have been more clear and said tiny Mallet since that is what I was referring to.

John Caughey said:

Personally I’d rather see variations of ‘real’ US designs! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)The Koppel isn’t as much of a stretch, I rode behind one in Colorado in the last century. Yep by cracky, a way back in '96!

John

John,

Typically I would agree with the American designs. I never once even considered a non-American design until Todd H built his Garratt. When I first started daydreaming about some sort of bendy locomotive I just assumed it would be a tiny Mallet. And originally I was thinking a 1:20.3 version of one that would be on par with my current 2-6-0. Now I think the fun challenge will be to put a bendy locomotive on the micro. Kinda like the constraint of keeping one under 12" was fun I think making a fairly large 1:24 locomotive that can do tight curves will also be fun. Enter the Garrat design. I think they are just weird/obscure/cool and the Americans should have adopted it so I will correct their error and make a truly American Garrat.

each to our own. That loco you have in the picture would be very fun as well. If only I could build them all. I need a bigger bucket.

Devon Sinsley said:

Pete Thornton said:

That Beyer-Garrett is/was available for g-1 track. Live steam only, I think.

Pete,

I didn’t mean that exact one I meant I would scratch build my own that is roughly the same size.

There, you said it, you said it! I saw you say it! You cant deny that you said it, its right there! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Now, you really need to get back to work on your other projects. You have a railroad open house coming up, and a prototype show where you want to display your rod-less locomotive, and…

Devon Sinsley said:

Well thank you for that clarification John. I thought Dave was saying it wasn’t a Mallet and also did not articulate. I realize that not all articulated locomotives are Mallets but I didn’t realize that “articulated” was coined to mean equal cylinders. so that certainly explains Dave’s comment

Sorry Dave, my misunderstanding. I thought articulated meant any locomotive that bent. I should have been more clear and said tiny Mallet since that is what I was referring to.

Devon, you are kinda right articulated does refer to all locos with a power truck that pivots. Only compounds are Mallets, the rest merely articulated. There was one railroad that did try flexible boilers, but gave up because the steam could only be generated in the half with the fire box.

The mighty Santa Fe ended up making 2 from one…

John

Devon Sinsley said:

Pete Thornton said:

That Beyer-Garrett is/was available for g-1 track. Live steam only, I think.

Ha John,

I thought about an accordion loco also. But I think at least for now it will be an American Garratt. . . I know lets make a 2-4-0 0-4-2 2-4-0 0-4-2 we will put two 2-4-0 0-4-2 Mallatt style drives with the boiler and cab strung between them like a Garratt. Then everyone will be happy.

Except for the maintenance crew.

How about this little jem? A 7/8th scale model of a Java sugar Plantation engine… German engineering!

Now that is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrgOWr4UWjY

Here is a photo and video of the real thing in germany

Man the guy did a great job of modeling it.

Fun thread

Reading a issue of NGSLG March/April 1986 I came across a photo of a Swedish 0-4-4-0 T on a 600 mm gage line (Ostra Sodermanlands Jarnvagar museum). Now in 2016 a search found it still working there.

600mm 0-4-4-0T Swedish Loco from WikiPedia Search

Jerry

That is a neat one too… I think it is bigger though! I’ll bet that java engine is about the smallest Mallett ever!

I think this is nearly the same engine you found… On the cripple Creek railway

These are just begging to be modeled. I never thought there would be such small Mallets. I mean these this must run on some very bendy track. Wonder what kind of curves they operate on. Is there any others reason why you would build an articulated locomotive? Those are small locos anyways and then to bend in the middle. Just too cool.

Devon Sinsley said:
These are just begging to be modeled. I never thought there would be such small Mallets. I mean these this must run on some very bendy track. Wonder what kind of curves they operate on. Is there any others reason why you would build an articulated locomotive? Those are small locos anyways and then to bend in the middle. Just too cool.

Devon. Don’t you already have enough projects in process? I know I do, I just mined my workroom, and I can walk in there again. In the process I found a few things I had forgotten about.

Yes David I do have too many projects. And I am trying very hard to resist starting a new one but it beckons to me. . . No seriously I am only dreaming. Other than being on the lookout for an addition Bachmann Porter on the cheap to match the one I have I won’t be starting on this for a long while. It is in the bucket where it will stay until I get some others done.

I dunno Devon. You are a lot like me. I can only talk about future projects for so long, before I start one of them.