Large Scale Central

Tim's Mik Challenge - Orthodox Shrine

This year, the intent is to (roughly) model Kenai’s most famous structure - a small Russian Orthodox Church in what is commonly called ‘Old Town.’

The Church (mine will be a fusion of the new and the old)

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x56c67c85289b3b03:0xad08146c88e752c7!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipMi_1Rt9pR0raBTIq4jnO7fiTplkVh5JB04oxMi%3Dw239-h160-k-no!5skenai+russian+orthodox+church±+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipMi_1Rt9pR0raBTIq4jnO7fiTplkVh5JB04oxMi&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQsZXhw_rmAhXHrJ4KHTaFBRIQoiowCnoECA4QBg

I’m a bit cramped on space and almost out of the scribed wood I picked up years ago, so this structure will be on the small side. (Hence, ‘shrine’ rather than ‘church.’) Square footprint, six inches each way (wanted to try for eight inches, but space and materials) sloped roof leading to a tower topped by an onion dome (Christmas ornament).

Because posting pics on this site is a mystery to me, a link to the ‘Mik 2020’ Album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138006591@N08/albums/72157712612297077

Went with a ‘back of the envelope’ plan instead of a napkin. Neater that way.

The decaying Bachmann mine shed next to the funky office tower is the proxy (future location) for the church.

I see you went with the Christmas ornaments.

Spent today working on the preceding project - a shorter, narrower tower for gag characters. Expect to finish it tomorrow or the next day (very basic build). Would have finished it last week were it not for multiple catastrophes at work and elsewhere. Then it’ll be time to start in on the shrine.

Looking into rearranging the structures in that part of the layout so the church isn’t quite so cramped.

Your idea is certainly unique and using an ornament for the topper is a great idea.

I like it

Completed (more or less) the prior project - ‘Sin Tower.’

Hunted some more through the bits and scraps of past projects. Rather than mar the church itself with a chimney, I am contemplating tacking on a room in the back for the priest.

Yeah, you could make a small vicarage or sexton’s quarters just outside the sanctuary! Priest or groundskeeper, no one likes to be cold!

The shortage of scribed siding is one of the big limiting factors on size. I simply don’t have enough to make the shrine bigger than 6-7 inches to a side. Add in the priests room at the back, and…eek. Right now, I’m contemplating using LEMAX stone mat along the bottom to make a sort of foundation and stretch the siding a little further.

Tim, could you use the stone for the priests quarters also, assuming you have enough? The priest could have been a mason in his younger days (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

around here, a lot of older places have the classic cement block foundation or basement, with a frame structure built atop it. Later, those with the resources and inclination would cement stones to the outside of the blocks to improve the appearance. I’m thinking a similar course here.

Stopped off at the local hobby shop on my way back from work yesterday. Miracle of miracles, they had the scribed siding - but it’s closer spaced than my old stuff. Still, I bought a couple strips ($7.81 total). It’ll do for the priests quarters in back, and let me expand the shrine proper to 8 x 8.5 inches (thickness of the wood). Still going to go with an inch high strip of painted LEMAX brick mat for a foundation.

Rearranged the buildings in that part of the layout to free up more space, cut an 8 x 12 base plate, cut and glued the sides (and my fingers) together, then decided the priests room needed to be bigger yet - so I went and rearranged things again, this time moving the slot car track roadway to fit in the office building, Sin Tower, the gas station, and the shrine. Now I have to expand the base plate a few more inches.

Thus far, the shrine looks like the product of a fifth grade crafts class, a testament to my lack of skill. (Hence, no additional pics for now) Fortunately, it’ll be a a partially visible background structure, with but one good and one poor viewing angle.

Tim,

Don’t be shy. Post the pics. As long as you are having fun and like what you are producing and stretching your personal ability then its a win. I am a firm believer that the real “winners” in this challenge are the ones that are learning and improving their ability. It really doesn’t matter two hoots if it ends up a museum piece or a “10 foot rule” model. I personally try to do something each time that pushes my personal ability. What I accomplish may be old hat to others. Oh well. This year for me its making a solar path light do what I want. Big deal. . .who cares. . .others have this mastered. Its all new to me.

The point is if you are having fun, learning, and pushing your personal limits, then your winning. . .and we need pics or it didn’t happen.

Yeah, what Devon said (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)C’mon Tim, we want pictures. You may find its not near as bad as you think. Remember, the most critical eyes have already seen it and passed judgement … yours.

There is nothing worse than thinking you are awesome and then taking a close up picture of your work and realizing you are not as talented as you thought your were.

Exactly Devon!.. Its all about learning and having fun. I have learned a lot from this challenge. I think Mik taught us a lot too.

Tim upload pictures in 800x600 format to your freight shed, then open the picture, right click on the picture,click copy. then on this reply page click on the little box with the mountain looking icon at top of page above the FONT SIZES arrow, then click on the source panel and paste, then either change size to 800x600 or click ok and poof your picture should be there. You have a small freight shed but can purchase more space from Bob as needed.

Devon Sinsley said:

There is nothing worse than thinking you are awesome and then taking a close up picture of your work and realizing you are not as talented as you thought your were.

If only a certain modeler in the NMRA group would do that…

I had a box full of those “learning projects”…Had that is.

David Maynard said:

Devon Sinsley said:

If only a certain modeler in the NMRA group would do that…

I had a box full of those “learning projects”…Had that is.

Just do what I do, select delete click, and take another pic from a little farther back (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Tim, if you like, if you’re having any trouble with pictures, just call me on the telephone and I’ll walk you through it. It’s a lot easier that way, at least it was for me.