Large Scale Central

Those bloody microsoft idiots have struck again

Try Internet Explorer 7 with Beta . Yeah , right , like a fool I did .
I initially could not get logged into my Yahoo account , My LSC account, and more . So I did the cookie trick , and all was not well . Then found all my favourites were gone , eventually found them under a gold star , but can’t use them . Computer keeps saying "IE has a problem and has to shut down . Sorry for inconvenience " yeah , right .
Ah , I thought , sod this , revert computer to earlier date . No , cannot revert .
So all they’ve done so far is annoy me , lose my little bit of control over the machine , lost me my ability to quickly contact favourites --and who knows what else ? Thanks Microsoft , you really are getting to be a bunch of hasbeens .
Mike

I am running IE-7 Beta 2 and I really like it.

Its faster, the tools bar default configuration is different but I like it.

Easier to have several webpages open, you do not have to open another browers window by clicking on the IE again.

It added my google tools bar, my weather bug and has spell check too. Also has many other freatures.

If you have XP Sp2 then it should work just fine. I have no funny or special software running that might make it go wrong on the install.

It does take a while for the install to complete.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Remember it is “BETA”. Which means use are your own risk

I tried it last week, and experienced all the problems Mike had, plus!!!
So I just restored my computer back to an earlier date using “Systems restore”. It’s all back to normal again, thank God!!
I am running XP SP2.
jb

John Bouck said:
I tried it last week, and experienced all the problems Mike had, plus!!! So I just restored my computer back to an earlier date using "Systems restore". It's all back to normal again, thank God!! I am running XP SP2. jb
You can uninstall IE 7 BETA from Add Remove Programs in Control Panel and it will restore the previous version of IE just fine

Timmy , I hotfooted to add/remove and it is not listed . No ISP is listed at all .
Mike

<You can uninstall IE 7 BETA from Add Remove Programs in Control Panel and it will restore the previous version of IE just fine>

Tim, that’s where I looked first. 'twasn’t there.
I figured if “Systems Restore” didn’t work, I would hotfoot it over and have a personal one on one with Gates.

I just looked in add - remove, and whatever IE I’m using ain’t there either.

j

I have never been a fan of the Beta tester’s society whether it be engines or microstuff products. I wait till the proved product is as good as it gets and then if, when I really need it then I take a chance. I know from long past itches I had to be the first one to try or have it but the headaches when away once I changed my thinking…

I am most thankful of those who do volunteer to be the testers for new products as a lot of us would be in a jam if no one stepped up to be the new tester.

Here’s to the volunteers,

My computer will not accept any date I put in to resort to an earlier state , I have tried several . So , no uninstall , no backdate , I may have to hit the dreaded recovery disc ball across the park . And lose everything in the process .
Interesting thing , my computer came with a hint to make a set of recovery discs , This I did as soon as I got it going . In the interests of trying to salvage all I could , I thought I would make another set with all my added programmes on .
A childish little swine in the computer said "Nyah!!! Can’t !! You did one , that’s all you’re allowed . "
Where do some of these ratbgs get their consciences ? My opinion of young thrusting managers is that I would like to thrust them somewhere , they have no connotation of decency —and believe me ,they will suffer for it when they grow old .Not grow UP , they never will . What goes around comes around . Or as my mom used to say "Evil buggers always get paid back " I have the pleasure to report that she has been right in my experience . Many is the little ivory tower I have seen collapse , I even undermined some .
So before I take the step of starting again from scratch , what would you lot advise in the circumstances . ?Please note my total inadequacy in computing techniques .
Mike
ps my Google Earth is just a Google Space ,no globe , let alone fine detail shots–so that’s another casualty .
Are you microbrains reading this at microsoft ? It’s about time someone tried suing them for time wasted when we could be playing trains . This was not edited at the time said , it’s 2344.So bedtime ,nighty night .

John Bouck said:

I figured if “Systems Restore” didn’t work, I would hotfoot it over and have a personal one on one with Gates.

j

Um…IE is not an ISP

John Bouck said:

j

IE7 Beta if installed will be listed in Add Remove Programs in Control Panel. Previous versions of IE are not listed there. The uninstall via Add Remove Programs of IE7 Beta will automatcially restore the previous version of IE

Why do I get the feeling that I have unconsciously fallen for an old trick used to entrap people ?
The thought police are getting stronger and less accountable all the tme , and their aim is to control. So , one way of doing it is to get gullible people like me to sign up for "essential downloads " then slip in control freakery which cannot be removed without a lot of trouble . If at all without losing a lot of valuable data .
OK , I’m old and stupid .
But , can you really , hand on heart , say it’s not happening ? You can’t , can you ? Think before it’s too late .
Mike M
And if you wonder what set that off , just ask how many people have been caught by it .

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties Mike. However, it does say on the IE7 Beta website:

Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 is “pre-release software”. Please view the support page for troubleshooting and feedback options. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

The support page has an FAQ and lists how to obtain “best effor” support. Both by phone and email. Best Effort support in this case is because it is “Beta” software. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/support/default.mspx

I installed IE7 the other day, played around with it a bit and then successfully uninstalled it via Add Remove Progams within Control Panel. It listed IE7 with the option to uninstall. The uninstall automatically restored the previous version of IE to my computer.

You can also certainly attempt the Restore feature within Windows XP (assuming that is the OS your are running). However, if you do not have that feature enabled there will be no restore points. If you do have it enabled then there indeed are restore points prior to your installation of IE7. Pick one and restore to it.

My guess is that IE7 is not realy the culprit here and that your computer was in a delicate state prior to the installation possibly virus, spyware or malware related and by chance IE7 may have pushed it over the edge. You do have a current up to date Anti Virus application running on your machine correct? You do have all the latest critical updates and security patches installed? You data is backed up correct?

I see you live in Canada. I am more than happy to check out your computer if you are in the area.

Timmy ,
I appreciate your efforts to help , even if I do live in the UK , I like Canada , but am really truly British . Which means I value and champion the causes of freedom . Which I am now denied on my computer because a MICROSOFT programme(stuff the Beta bit , that’s just a cheap trick ) has invaded my domain ,AND GIVES ME NO CHANCE TO MOVE IT .
I wish you could sit here and try , I might be a bit old , but stupid I ain’t . This MICROSOFT programme actually threatens to harm the computer if I try to shut it down using MSCONFIG . Try it , it says "if you do not run this programme , your computer will suffer a major problem ". It didn’t tell me that before it was downloaded .
It is not listed anyhow in Control Panel , and you may ask why not .
I am denied access to the Microsoft web sites . NO? Really ? What does "do not answer this email " really mean then ? Does it mean "oh , ok , we will then , just for you " ?
No , Timmy , I hope that your trust in the bullies of this world is never broken , but if you seriously think that Microsoft are a charitable organisation , just read the terms of their download facility, it basically means intrinsically
"We can do what we want , and there is nothing you can do about it . "
Now , given that premise , who is more trustworthy . big brother , or microsoft ? Just think about it .
I wonder if Bill Gates makes his employees read "The thoughts of Chairman Joe " ?
I shall of course use the recovery discs and stuff microsoft . If ever you tried to invent an organisation to invade privacy through stealth , you need look no further than guess who ?
I bet nobody on this site knows exactly what information is taken from their household via the internet .
And if you think this entry goes unnoticed , just ask yourself if you would trust a government that didn’t monitor cross border traffic .
ps my computer still works , I can still receive and send emails , so perhaps I should not be bothered . Nobody would pull a sneaky stunt like that . Would they ?
Mike

Mike Morgan said:
Timmy , I appreciate your efforts to help , even if I do live in the UK , I like Canada , but am really truly British . Which means I value and champion the causes of freedom . Which I am now denied on my computer because a MICROSOFT programme(stuff the Beta bit , that's just a cheap trick ) has invaded my domain ,AND GIVES ME NO CHANCE TO MOVE IT . I wish you could sit here and try , I might be a bit old , but stupid I ain't . This MICROSOFT programme actually threatens to harm the computer if I try to shut it down using MSCONFIG . Try it , it says "if you do not run this programme , your computer will suffer a major problem ". It didn't tell me that before it was downloaded . It is not listed anyhow in Control Panel , and you may ask why not . I am denied access to the Microsoft web sites . NO? Really ? What does "do not answer this email " really mean then ? Does it mean "oh , ok , we will then , just for you " ? No , Timmy , I hope that your trust in the bullies of this world is never broken , but if you seriously think that Microsoft are a charitable organisation , just read the terms of their download facility, it basically means intrinsically "We can do what we want , and there is nothing you can do about it . " Now , given that premise , who is more trustworthy . big brother , or microsoft ? Just think about it . I wonder if Bill Gates makes his employees read "The thoughts of Chairman Joe " ? I shall of course use the recovery discs and stuff microsoft . If ever you tried to invent an organisation to invade privacy through stealth , you need look no further than guess who ? I bet nobody on this site knows exactly what information is taken from their household via the internet . And if you think this entry goes unnoticed , just ask yourself if you would trust a government that didn't monitor cross border traffic . ps my computer still works , I can still receive and send emails , so perhaps I should not be bothered . Nobody would pull a sneaky stunt like that . Would they ? Mike
Hi Mike.... sorry about thinking you lived in Canada.

Mike, I can still assist you even from here in the Pacific NW. I don’t see an email listed here on the site for you. If you shot me an email to [email protected] I will get right back with you.

This gets dafter by the minute .
Microsoft have a site on which to post comments to help with getting this new crap sorted , but when I try to address it , it refuses to let me . Perhaps it already knows what I am going to write .
What is the cynical laugh of the day , there is a segment that proclaims
"How to install and Uninstall IE 7 blah (BETA) "
Select this and you are presented with a choice of uninstalling IE6 before loading IE7 ,or a load of other bulldust , but nary a word about uninstall rotten IE7(beta) . How come , Mr Smartypants MS?
My computer is now on a downward spiral , but the US Cavalry are on the horizon in the form of Timmy , who seems a nice chap but disinclined to believe anyone could get a computer into such a mess . I shall let you all know the outcome . One of the many good things about this site and our ever vigilant moderators --ooops!!! wrong site –
nobody has yet said
"Hey , dis is for de railroad , man " or however Americans would say it . So , with a thousand apologies to the railwaymaniacs I have to say that without my computer , I cannot astonish you all with my perceptive views on things rail borne . Thus I have craftily made this back into a railway question . No , I don’t think that will wash , either .
Mike M
ps I bet Dave is laughing into his beard having gone into the "I warned you " mode only recently .
Dave , you’re supposed to feel sympathy for old duffers --you might be one yourself some day ;¬)

Tim,
Trust me, I looked.
It wasn’t listed there.
Maybe it didn’t install correctly the first time and that was the root of all my problems.
Thanks to “System Restore” everything is back to normal.
And also, my present IE; 6.5 or whatever, isn’t listed in the “Add/Remove” programs in the control panel. So I have no Idea what IE version I am running.
Honest Injun.

jb

Hey , John , it sounds as though your system might have been left with a problem as well , then .
I told Timmy that the IE 7 thing does not appear in the "remove " part of Control Panel , nor in the drop down called "downloads ". Whatever the thing did has affected my daughter’s computer as well , and her one at work , her boss downloaded IE7 and he is now trying to recover all his research data --they test drugs . But not a problem for Microsoft , obviously , because they are Gated out of any comebacks .
Mike

I just did a computer search on my own 'puter and nothing was found for any Internet Explorer.
So I guess I don’t have any. That’s why it doesn’t show up anywhere in the computer.

I am using the internet just fine, however.
My IPS is Comcast High Speed. Maybe I don’t need IE.
Who knows.
jb

I had the same issue with posting on the MS forums.

My…let’s see…Spyware Doctor didn’t like the “webtrends” cookies.

Not MS, mind you, but Webtrends.
Lord know what that is.

Then, my AdWatch didn’t like something, had to shut that off.

Then, I have this “popup blocker” on my Google toolbar that I have to “allow all popups” to access the stupid site.

Do you have any idea what would happen to Law Enforcement if they did a warrantless search on you house?

Have any idea what a “forced” download past you settings for the purpose of loading WGA is?