Large Scale Central

This is never going to end

After getting more snow today and sleet/freezing rain for tonight through tomorrow and now maybe another storm for the weekend. This weather is never going to end. The crew on the KMRR is determined. They have been keeping up on the plowing although logging operations have been suspended until the ice between the rails melt and the camp gets dug out. Average of 20 inches on the ground and drifts 4+ feet high. The bottom right is the tip of my windmill. Mr Russells place is just to the left.

Russells place in summer

Snow is a 1/4 of the way up the fire tower. Good thing I covered the tunnel.

Tower and the snow storm that started all this snow back in dec.

The logging area were Spar tree and mine is.

Logging area in Spring

Another angle.

I just knocked the icicles off my house and they are back.

Reminds me of last year here…I feel your pain! I did get the plow consist out this past weekend only to fail as there was too much ice under the snow so I hung it up.

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/Railroad%202011/Jan11004.jpg)

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/Railroad%202011/Jan11001.jpg)

Looking good guys, just keep it on your side of the country. No snow here, but it is cold. 24 high today with -4 for tonight. Brrrrrrr…

I have about 18" of “global warming” in my backyard with a 1" crust of ice on top. And it ain’t melting away anytime soon. These past 3 years I wish I had my old snowmobile back. It snows and stays. I’m glad I have an indoor layout now.

Shawn, it will end in about 2035 when the current sun cycle ends. If Al baby was as smart as he thinks he is, he would know that the temperature of the planet is controled by water vapor and sun spot activity. The sun spots magnetic fields are is in a continual dropping cycle that occurs every 11,500 years. These cycles are called minimums and depending on how deep it goes, we could be in another Little Ice Age. We will see these winters for a number of years.
Ron

We didnt get ay freezing rain but got sleet instead. Still sleeting heavy. Sleet is alot easier to shovel then freezing rain.

Feel sorry for those with outdoor layouts that have to deal with the above. Living here in Rochester, I have my layout in the balmy 68 deg. basement. It’s a little cool in the winter but great in the summer.

Survived the “Storm of the Century” according to the weather people. Threats of 2 feet of snow turned into 1/2 inch of sleet. Had a power outage for about 2 hours last night, because of a tree taking down a line. Carlyle has its own power plant and crew, so things are pretty self-sufficient. The crews work all night if they have to because their grandmas, families and cousins are the ones without power. Son and family are out in the country, they have had power all along, but the inlaws next door were without for many hours over the night. They are on REA power (Rural Electric Cooperative or Association). Railroad outside is buried, inside trains are on schedule.

I’m in St. Louis and have been stuck on my college campus since Sunday…it’d be really nice to be able to go home.

No trains for me.

Well we had our snow 3 weeks ago so I got a chance to operate the plow. Now we are just getting the rain and cold. Guess better than 2 ft of snow. later RJD

We got it last night. The whole county is closed. I live on a highway and there has been NO traffic, not even trains. I went out to take some snow pictures. First challenge was to get the door open. Then the camera battery went dead. I’ll try again in a couple hours when the battery is charged.

(http://www.outsidetrains.com/mls/2011-02-02a.jpg)

I was gonna take some snow pictures for you guys but i went outside, slipped, fell in my pond and quickly returned wothout any pictures.

38 this morning only going to warm up to the mid 50’s today. low 30’s to upper 20’s tonight. cold all weekend long. trains are 1750 miles away so even if it were warmer out there would be no trains for me. I will just work on my Challenge build. Might even get the snow plow car painted maybe.

Clear sunny and 70 :O, our economy is crap, the Gov is threatening to close to state and have a giant rummage sale :frowning: ,

but we still have the BEST weather in the US :smiley:

Victor Smith said:
Clear sunny and 70 :O, our economy is crap, the Gov is threatening to close to state and have a giant rummage sale :( ,

but we still have the BEST weather in the US :smiley:

I cant wait for some nice spring/summer weather. Still have a long ways to go. I did get to shovel out the line again. Still dealing with ice issues between the rails. I figure if keep up with the shoveling I will be running trains as soon as the temps gets into the 30’s for a few days and the feb sun angle should be kicking in.

the good news ia the ground hog did not see his shadow so its going to be a early spring. :slight_smile:

Terry Burr said:
I was gonna take some snow pictures for you guys but i went outside, slipped, fell in my pond and quickly returned wothout any pictures.
Thanks Terry - I needed a laugh today :D This crappy weather is gone well beyond 24 hours for us now.

We are up to 20 in, drifts up to 10ft, made it to work this morning though, 2nd time in my 40 years of being in the garbage industry we did not send trucks out, good thing, streets are clogged up big time, cars all over abandoned.
I was the only one on I-80 expressway this morning for about 5 miles, never saw anyone else, I wish it was like that all the time. We are south of Chicago about 15 miles, there are side streets still unplowed, one of our guys had to be rescued after being trapped on the road for 4 hours by snowmobile, he had his 3 year old son with him, scary. About done, then I get to go home(if I make it) and shovel, shovel, shovel.

Tom H

One can not fight the weather. It has been going on since time began.
One must learn to take it as it comes and be prepared for the worst.
Pa’s forecasting Ground Hog predicted an early SPRING.

Geoff George said:
the good news ia the ground hog did not see his shadow so its going to be a early spring. :)
The bad news is that he came out and froze solid before he could even look down :lol: