Large Scale Central

The three 'W's' came together today

Hollywooddddddddddddddd… Great looking station and location… Like Bruce said, Looks a world of difference in the yard, versus sitting on the table @ York…

Okay, I’ve had a few suggestions on trackage. I’m really enjoying the input and want to come up with a plan that gives some operation possibilities. Ralph and Ken both mentioned alternate trackage.I’m open to suggestions from others,but thought I’d show what I have so far. Note the color code in the top of the drawing. The heavy black line is the only trackage in place at this point. As suggested by Ken I have included a second stub track at the freight end of the station. I do believe this will enhance operations. I also like Kens idea of a covered platform for the second main line track even though I have not included it in the drawing. I do have a quarry operation in mind, and plan on running that off the east ( right ) side or the south (bottom) of the drawing. Just below the screenroom will be a resort area with station. Here’s the drawing now I need the ideas

(http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/trackwork/TrackPlanphase2-1.jpg)

Thank you all for the great comments

Dave

Where’s the yard?
Ralph

Trackplan looks good… are the crossings of the inside loop and outside loop going to at grade, or flyovers???

Fly overs Andy. I’m waiting on a couple loads of fill to build some Pennsylvania hills

Ralph thats phase 3

edited to answer Ralph

Ralph Berg said:
Where’s the yard? Ralph

The track is in the yard, silly. ’

(http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/trackwork/HPIM1725.jpg)

That looks great on the layout. I really like that siding with the boxcar. You did an awsome job.

David Marconi said:
Okay, I’ve had a few suggestions on trackage. I’m really enjoying the input and want to come up with a plan that gives some operation possibilities. Ralph and Ken both mentioned alternate trackage.I’m open to suggestions from others,but thought I’d show what I have so far. Note the color code in the top of the drawing. The heavy black line is the only trackage in place at this point. As suggested by Ken I have included a second stub track at the freight end of the station. I do believe this will enhance operations. I also like Kens idea of a covered platform for the second main line track even though I have not included it in the drawing. I do have a quarry operation in mind, and plan on running that off the east ( right ) side or the south (bottom) of the drawing. Just below the screenroom will be a resort area with station. Here’s the drawing now I need the ideas

(http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/trackwork/TrackPlanphase2-1.jpg)

Just a bump

David Marconi said:
Just a bump
I got your bump right here! ;)

No input/ideas

Can’t improve on perfection :slight_smile:

The only thing I have is to schedule your phases so the next thing that goes in revolves around the station. If you install the passing siding and the extra freight siding now, you will have some operational track to play with while you construct the second loop.

I’m assuming your goal is more toward roundy-round rather than operation, but even so, getting that passing siding in place will allow a freight and a passenger train on the single loop. You will just need a way to power off the sections in front of the station.

Basic plan looks good… who can improve on perfection???
As Jon said, I’d start with the siding at the station and work out from there…

Gooooo, Hollywoooooodddddddd…

Just to be sure I’m clear - I mean build the “proposed connecting tracks” and the portion of the second loop that goes by the station plus the “second stub track”.

David Marconi said:
No input/ideas
The only suggestion I have is building a yard...........sooner than later. Allows you to stage multiple trains so you have more run time and spend less time removing/adding rolling stock.

This applies to Rooster too :smiley:
Ralph

Hardly perfection.
Yeah Jon I understood on the track sections.
Roundy round works when you enjoy watching the trains and have other things to do. Also works with the kids in the hood. Operations will be great when I have the track in place and people over who also enjoy ops.
One problem I definately face with the connecting tracks is when I get the second loop in, as I use track power with TE controller.
At this point I have train storage in the screen room. That will soon have a connecting spur so I can have a couple trains ready to go. Plan on making my version of the Train Li 3 way
Maybe yard and service area near lower maple?

Next step in track work is making switches a new learning experience.I’ve read most of the articles I’ve found now it’s just doing and hoping for the best

Ralph Berg said:
The only suggestion I have is building a yard...........sooner than later. Allows you to stage multiple trains so you have more run time and spend less time removing/adding rolling stock.

This applies to Rooster too :smiley:
Ralph

Mind your own business! I have my plan but right now I have to share the yard with the boy.
:wink:

I had a long reply all composed and then realized I was answering a question you didn’t ask :frowning:

There are ways to handle the double loop with a TE. You need to have a single supply big enough to power both and two receivers. Install two insulated joiners at each place where the loops connect. Then you just need to make sure the polarity (direction) is the same and speed setting is close on both tracks before you cross the insulators.

There may be more elaborate ways, but the above works, so long as you don’t make any mistakes :slight_smile: