Large Scale Central

The Saga of My Ever Shrinking RR...Part Deux

Its ALIVE!!

This will be the new home of the building log of my indoor layout, the Borracho Springs RR, a small mining themed line based on several historical lines like the Gilpin Tramway, the Coronada RR, later AKA the Arizona Copper Co RR, with influences from a couple model RRs, like John Allens G&D, Bob Hegges Crooked Mountain Lines, Malcom Furlow’s work, and Joe Crea’s Pitkin Tramway. The Plan: http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/GarageStudyTRY%20AGAINx2.pdf The location is indoors again, like the previous incarnations, in my newly rebuilt garage which unlike the old one, is insulated and plywood sheathed on the interior walls. Almost all the benchwork is already completed for a previous plan which after setting up, I was unhappy with. So away we go…[:D]

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee…!!!

I’ll be watching…:slight_smile:

Sounds great! I see we share some of the same sources of inspiration.

A little progress. Got the benchwork expanded:

Left side benchwork, expanded to accomodate the R1 turnaround

Right side benchwork, widened about 12" for the R1 turnaround on this side and for the track on the fiddle yard.

Fiddle yard widened to accomodate 3 tracks.

Hey, Hey! Vic might even be able to run trains this next year…:smiley:

Warren I’ve already started laying test track for building the plywood subtrack for the elevated sections. I’ve started with the left hand side and will just clear the remaining junk off the benchwork as I work across it. Right hand side gets going next and I’ll fit it all together in the middle section, so I’m forcing myself to clear stuff out of the way to do this. I need to decide if I’m going to put any cork bed down or just screw it straight down to the plywood. I dont recall any real benifit to having the cork on the last layout.

I would think it would make it quieter. But then again the cork sheeting is usually very thin. I use 1/2" ceiling tile under mine. I buy the 2’ x4’ type and cut it into strips. It’s definitely quieter with it and a box of those are not very expensive at Home Despot.

I would think putting the track directly on the plywood would be much noisier.

In the first picture, looks like there’s some framework above - shelf or lighting?

Victor,

Glad you are here posting your log. At least you can be assured it won’t be lost in an upgrade or archived beyond the bounds of mortal men to find!

Andre’

Andrè Schofield said:
Victor,

Glad you are here posting your log. At least you can be assured it won’t be lost in an upgrade or archived beyond the bounds of mortal men to find!

Andre’

Aint that the truth, but like Dr F, I was able to find the grave, pull the body out and bring it back to life … it will get figured out over there, you should have seen the harumph when the Trains forum changed its format! this has been easy compared.

hmm…

Track test laying, how about that, the CADD program was right, IT FITS! Right hand side, Borracho yard, and the lower section of Long Grade

Upper part of Long Grade

The curve at Agony Point

Lower Agony Point at Heckawee, upper level mining sidings

the yard at Heckawee

Looking down Long Grade

Siding at Fiddle Yard

Now comes a part I’ve dreaded, cleaning the track :O, I’ve got 3 years of dirty gritty conductive grease to remove, so I can put shiny new conductive grease on the joints, somehow that seams a little contradictory doesnt it ?

That was quick.

Have you tried running as is? Just in case?

Bruce Chandler said:
I would think putting the track directly on the plywood would be much noisier.

In the first picture, looks like there’s some framework above - shelf or lighting?

Bruce, theres a storage shelf above the entire layout that will also hold lighting fixtures, the storage shelfs above the fiddle yard are for rolling stock, I still plan to keep most of the engines in the big house.

The lighting arraingment from the overhead storage shelve has something I liked on the old layout, but on this one its set up so there are no 4x posts interferring with the layout, its all supported overhead. I have some flourscent fixtures for the overhead, I have to test install them and see how many I will need to get good coverage.

I think Im going to try and get some self adhesive foam tape for under the track, I do not want to cut cork again, it was a major PITA on the last layout.

Bruce Chandler said:
That was quick.

Have you tried running as is? Just in case?

I had built the plywood base for the curve at agony point built as a test track when I had planned the Uber-twisty outdoor layout before it got finally nixed by SWMBO. I was able to test most of my engines on it, they pull OK…as long as I dont try pulling 10 cars up it :wink: I plan to keep my trains short.

The lights should be nice. Will you be adding a scenic backdrop?

Yes, last was masonite painted blue, which i would like to repeat here but I want to try and find some sort of continuous material so there are no seams like with the masonite.

When I did mine…way back in HO…I just spackled the seams in the masonite. Might do the same today, then cover with either a printed backdrop, or just get one of the long rolls of paper and do my own. I’d use the 3M spray adhesive to attach it to the masonite.

On my indoor layout, the straight portions of my backdrop are drywall and the curved sections are masonite. I just taped the joints between masonite and drywall just as if they were all drywall. My drywall was notched to accept the masonite seamlessly. I used 1/2" drywall on the walls and 3/8" as backer behind the masonite. This gave me the 1/8" notch for a smooth flow from masonite to drywall.

Test run #1 today on the mainline, using the Scientific guinnie pig as their no track power yet, mostly to test track transitions going up and down the grades. I’ve been using small wood shims to build up bases under the track at the transitions so there is a continuous solid base under all the track, so far got the left side transitions done, leaving only the transition at the right hand side left to do. Found a couple high and low spots during testing, thats what that stupid Scientific is great for, if IT will run on it, almost everything else will. Only a few rather funny derailments. It was funny to watch it run, since several track sections are still missing joiners, yet it trundled right along.