Large Scale Central

The rebuild has begin

The red connection allows trains to run in a loop, instead of point-to-point. Operationally, the RR goes from one end to the other, with Burke Yard roughly in the center. But I can use the loop connector to run trains roundy-roundy for when the great unwashed want to “see a train run”.

Wait…you added the red? I don’t remember seeing that the other night…LOL…either way point to point is even sweeter! I think you should elminate the red and just make a continuious run! I do like the plan though…trains passing over and under etc. adds more excitement IMO.

Well, like I said, when non-train-buffs come over and want to see a train run, its easier to have a loop around the garden than have them say “Is that all it does?” when it goes from one end to the other…

I like your trackplan. Looks like it will have plenty of interest both visually and operationally.

Red shouts to me - thought it was something to do with polarity or another electrical issue, not operations!

Do you incorporate an Allen, an Inglenook or other technique(s) to add operational interest? Your track plan shows one structure in the SE quadrant that looks like an Inglenook, but if there’s an Allen anywhere I’ve missed it.

I second Ray’s comment - your plan is intriguing. Since I’ve just commenced building Stage Two of our RR (Stage One is a simple loop that plays chicken with our concrete water tank), I still have the opportunity to make changes to the design.

Your track plan provides insight into what you’re doing. Unlike plans on paper or the web, a track plan posted on a forum allows blokes like me to ask blokes like you WHY a layout has been designed a particular way.

While much layout design is about topography, it looks like a lot of your design is based on operations. As my grandsons grow older, the simple loop that satisfies them now will become boring, and I’m keen to add features that increase interest. Even if the boys do get bored, I won’t!

Digicam has been sent off to Pentax for repair, so just a text update.

Cut in the passing siding at Majestic Colliery today (RH siding, with the 2 tracks, before the lower loop). Pulled the turnouts that were there for rebuilding this week.

Re: Dave’s questions.

The colliery can be switched mostly as an Inglenook, and Im planning a timesaver for somewhere, but I dont know quite where yet. Possibly at the lowest unbuilt passing siding on the trackplan.

The next several days will be devoted to cutting cedar for 2 trestles. I have the fence boards cut to length, now I just need to rip them to width.

Bob McCown said:
The next several days will be devoted to cutting cedar for 2 trestles. I have the fence boards cut to length, now I just need to rip them to width.
Bob,

My eyes are watering, my nose is running and I’m sneezing just thinking about it!!

Sorta smells like a pencil in here…

Bart Salmons said:
Sorta smells like a pencil in here.....
Grandpa, what's a pencil?
Chris Vernell said:
Bart Salmons said:
It is an uncrashable word and number processing system.
Steve Featherkile said:
Oh, I beg to differ... I crashed many a pencil in elementary school. 'Course, then I got stronger pencils, and I started winning the pencil fights. ;) Those US Government #3s were good and hard! Teachers hated them because the lead was so light, but that didn't keep me from using them. They couldn't read my writing regardless...

Later,

K

Chris Vernell said:
Bart Salmons said:
MY grandkids know what a pencil is..........I have a $2500 sofa to prove it (and pens, and crayons, and majic markers.....Thank God for Scotchguard.....they MIGHT live to see double digits......)
Bart Salmons said:
Chris Vernell said:
Bart Salmons said:
MY grandkids know what a pencil is..........I have a $2500 sofa to prove it (and pens, and crayons, and majic markers.....Thank God for Scotchguard.....they MIGHT live to see double digits......)
I hear ya. Resident grandson somehow got ahold of a permanent marker, and decorated the wall-to-wall. However, the carpet is long overdue for replacement (but there's nowt in the budget for it :( ), so the doodlings sorta mix in with the general grunge
Chris Vernell said:
Bart Salmons said:
Chris Vernell said:
I hear ya. Resident grandson somehow got ahold of a permanent marker, and decorated the wall-to-wall. However, the carpet is long overdue for replacement (but there's nowt in the budget for it :( ), so the doodlings sorta mix in with the general grunge
Chris, Try D&L handcleaner. It's one of those handcleaners you get for taking the grease off your hands when youa re done working on the car. NOT the orange smelling stuff though. It may work however but I've not tried that. The D&L will take Sharpie marker out of jeans and off of a 2 year old's face and hands. my wife was not so pissed off then. LOL! Now we laugh about it!

Chas

SWMBO was not amused!

Luckily I was not the one who left said writing implements within their grasp…

Some more work this weekend.

Ran a couple of semi-operation trains (no switchlists, but a few cars to drop/swap at each location). One of the switches at Majestic needs adjustment (read, sledgehammering) but all in all, the track works fairly well. A couple of places the Climax didnt like the track, but that got fixed straight away.

I started making a mold for casting piers for a long trestle. Might cast them up this week if I can get my act together.

Kevin Strong said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Oh, I beg to differ... I crashed many a pencil in elementary school. 'Course, then I got stronger pencils, and I started winning the pencil fights. ;) Those US Government #3s were good and hard! Teachers hated them because the lead was so light, but that didn't keep me from using them. They couldn't read my writing regardless...

Later,

K

At an early age you were destined for a career in Media:

“They couldn’t read my writing regardless…”

Bob McCown said:
Some more work this weekend.

Ran a couple of semi-operation trains (no switchlists, but a few cars to drop/swap at each location). One of the switches at Majestic needs adjustment (read, sledgehammering) but all in all, the track works fairly well. A couple of places the Climax didnt like the track, but that got fixed straight away.

I started making a mold for casting piers for a long trestle. Might cast them up this week if I can get my act together.

I have a semi-timesaver at the oil depot at Whiterock.
Takes some thought to switch the tanks.

On the Climax-
Did you ever do the front truck mod I told you about so it will track like a Baja Buggy?

Not yet… the Climax is scheduled for rebuild / repaint this winter, so Ill saw at it then.