Large Scale Central

The Official Winter Run Photo Thread

Winter is officially here, although you couldn’t prove it by the weather in New England today. Perfect for running trains and taking pictures. This time of year I have put away much of my 1:20 rolling stock as outdoor operating sessions are curtailed in favor of 1:29 plow train operations. No need for a plow today so some of my New Haven cars came out to play. First we railfanned Coal Dump Curve near Wall Station…

Then we followed the train up the hill for some shots near deep Cut…

At Walk Crossing…

And near Indian Hill Junction…

The New Haven extra waits in the hole for an Fn3 mixed train to clear…

Shay #5 rounds Coal Dump Curve…

Mixed train at Wall…

This is probably the last 50 degree day before spring. Future posts in this thread from me will likely include snow scenes.

Post up you winter pictures !!!

Good pictures, Jon. Just commented about wondering if your Holidays includes sometimes with the new member. Our weather has been like yours, but will change greatly before the end of the year. All the best.

Thanks Ric. To answer your wondering; no, not in person - but Skype is a wonderful thing!

Just watched Eric’s video from yesterday. Should have got out the LS Shay and the camera car.

Nice pics Daktah. Not sure about the scale mixing photo.

Do you have your Toy Train infidel license yet?

Dave, N.B., Marconi said:

Nice pics Daktah. Not sure about the scale mixing photo.

Do you have your Toy Train infidel license yet?

I’m werkin’ on it!

Great pics, Jon. Its funny- all of our snow in Buffalo has melted (yeah, all 8 feet of it), and I don’t have a working layout to run trains on, but your shots are definitely inspiring!

-Kevin.

Great shots Jon. Hard to believe the weather feels more like spring. They always say a white Thanksgiving means a grean Christmas. Wish I had a layout up and running so I can join in on the thread. Spring cant get here fast enough.

Shawn (the CAD) Viggiano said:

Great shots Jon. Hard to believe the weather feels more like spring. They always say a white Thanksgiving means a grean Christmas. Wish I had a layout up and running so I can join in on the thread. Spring cant get here fast enough.

Shawn? The man who embraces cold snow covered weather? Wow! Let’s see some woods shots, Pictures of the lay of the land. what models are you working on? How is that ground packing? Are you ready for building, stones gathered, posts driven? Is the layout going to be in sun or shade? Are you ready to handle the hoards that plan to come visit? Is the family? Who’s building the railroad? You or Aden? Who’s helping who? Will there be a easily accessed play and imagine area or will Dad take it all for that just right photo shot? It seems to me, you’ve got lots to do and little time. How will the ground drain?

Put the pressure on, Ric…:wink:

Winter storm last night shut down the Elk River Silver Mine and the town of Elk River.

We got a couple of inches of snow last night with a crust of ice. I had to clear it with a hoe but it was nice and soft between the rails. I did find a few narrow spots with the cars though and the rails were a little icy so it didnt make for good videos…here are some stillson the trestle

Here is Morning Star crossing the trestle approaching Quebec…blowing the whistle makes good steam effects!

Rolling through the woods just south of the Fiddler’s Reach Bridge.

Nice pix, guys…:wink:

I’ll second that !

Nice snow pics guys! John - you need to get out the rotary!!

We had snow early yesterday, but it soon turned to rain and now it’s approaching 50 degrees. Going to cool off again tomorrow and perhaps some light snow mid week that might make for good pictures.

Shawn - Get that portable track set up outside for some steam & snow pics!!!

I did get lazy and let the snow melt down to nothing…

Jon,

The management foolishly traded off the rotary for another diesel switcher. They’ll try the wedge plow in the morning to get the route open.

Great pictures guys.

Hey Ric you have to stop teasing me. I need to be outside in the cold and snow running. I have big plans for the new layout and already got the bulk of the area leveled and track down. Just waiting for the dirt to settle a then relevel the area and basalt.

Jon good idea. I might be able to set up a loop on my deck for some snow running.

Nice photos guys.

Awesome pictures John Bouck. That red mine structure is stunning in the snow. Why did your boss trade the rotary?? I suppose you get a lot more use from the diesel then the rotary so on paper it looked like a good idea.

Ya know, those rotaries are awfully expensive to keep in ready-to-go condition for years at a time in between big events. Railroad management probably decided that it didn’t pay to keep it running and got out while it still had value :slight_smile:

I really like John’s station.

Somewhere in the depth of Buckinghamshire UK lurks a long lost part of the D&RGW, the West Well branch. The plow is not just for decoration. First try at this so I hope it works. Max. Hmm, picture seems too wide for the frame and there seems there is no way to scroll right to see the loco and caboose. What am I doing wrong here guys ?![|1024x673](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users//max_winter/snow plough 001.JPG )