Large Scale Central

The New Rockwall Canyon

Many of you have likely seen my work so far in building my new layout. Down below is next installment!

If you’re seeing this for the first time…

My new layout is being built in a rather heavily wooded area. The small area viewed in the photographs contains the 1st stretch of track of the mainline. The saplings have been removed, and leaves and thistle cleared out. The route is currently single track, but the stone roadbed is built for double track or maybe even wider in places where sidings permit. All of the track in place is used (and well worn since it comes from my original RCRR of 16 years). The route will send the trains deep out into the back woods. It will travel well out of sight of any houses and traffic when the foliage is green. I’ve been using a laser level to help reduce the amount of ups and downs on the mainline in order to enable longer trains and larger, or more fussy locomotives.

Engine #1055 takes the honor of being the first locomotive to roll down the line! The stone circle is actually a fire pit I built at the same time as the RR. And as you can tell by the snow, it will be needed!

Its a little hard to see where the track is thanks to the fresh ballast, but hopefully you get the idea.

In the future this will be a double S-turn! The curves need a little softening, but really the camera is exaggerating the sharpness of the radius a tad.

Current end of the line! The plan is to gently curve to right after passing the left side of the large oak tree. From here it will be a straight shot over some low lying land that will be bridged across for roughly 60ft. If the snow stops long enough, I may put a temporary reverse loop around the oak tree to allow continuous ops this winter.

In other exciting news… RCRR 1741 is back from the dead after receiving a new NiMH battery pack in early November.

#1741 is heading back north on the new mainline. You’ll notice, there are 2 parallel corridors stretching to the north. The path on the right, of course, is for trains, the path on the left is for people (walking and biking). The trail will follow the railroad all the way to the end of the line deep in the woods.

In future development, the RCRR will be crossing an authentic stream, which occasionally has moving water in it!

This corridor will eventually connect my current work to the stream crossing and beyond. I have a lot of clearing and building up to do!

A truly ambitious project. Best of luck. Looking good so far

How’s the deer population in those woods? You get a herd passing through and they may do a number on the track work. Just a thought…otherwise looks good!

If he’s in New Hampshire, then moose might also be a problem…

Nice start on what looks to be a great railroad… :slight_smile:

I love the look of Fresh Laid Ballast!

it seems to be coming along nicely. If my ‘woods’ were closer to the house, I’d almost consider the same…but since it’s “for the children” a roundy-round is in order

are you sending any wire along with the trench for future 12v lighting of switches/crossings/buildings/etc…?

Some wireless cameras hung overhead in the trees would offer you some cool “God View” shots of operations (think wireless security system)

these may help with future 4 legged problems: http://www.niteguard.com/

in addition, you may (once complete) think of adding a Fence Charger and a few strands of AL wire a few feet away and high to keep the deer at bay…

thanks for the pics! Good Luck!

Looks great!
That’s how I did my latest layout.
Under my mainline There is 3/4" stone 1’ deep wrapped in weed block.
I did find this stone called rice stone (1/8" sharp pieces) for ballast.
What did you endup using for ballast?
Sean

That is really cool. I feel like I’m watching the laying of the transcontinental.
Your train will be very prototypical not being the typical roundy round, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Along with wild animals doing damage to your track how will you keep leaves, twigs etc… off the line?
A short twig or half eaten acorn can derail your train pretty quick. In the Fall I have found I can do a lap and 5 minutes later I’m derailed on a leaf that wasn’t there before.

You will need ot build a blower car like mine or Sean Mc’s or run a plow to push stuff of the track.
You could get a GoPro Hero3 which is a action camera that is almost small enough to fit in the cab. The Black edition has a built in WIFI so you can control the camera and watch the action on your smart phone.

Keep up the good work and Happy RRing

That is an excellent looking layout. It looks a lot like the one I had in Delaware. We were in a half acre of woods so I just ran the tracks wherever I wanted.

I have moved the layout to Southwestern Utah so all that remains is the website at: www.trainweb.org/beachwood.

Paul

Hi folks!

Thanks for the kind words. Deer, yes. Moose, yes. Bear, yes!

Thankfully, the deer were rather contientious on my last layout, opting to step over my track rather than on top of! Hopefully the deer will continue that trend! Most of the damage I’ve had over the last 16 years has been 2-legged (me) : ) and ice storm related. I always make a point to sweep the track down with a broom before operation because it releases sand from the rails which can get into the wheel bushings, causing wear. In the process, the leaves and twigs are ejected, and the ballast is reorganized to where it belongs (if needed).

The ballast is a coarse form of stone dust , known locally, as “grits”. Once established I will get about year of use, before it errodes. A quick refresh in the Spring will bring right be up. I find it’s good to have fresh ballast in the late fall so that the track freezes into the ground, thus protecting the ties when they become most brittle.

I’ve used the 1/8in stone only on my wood-tied track to keep them from rotting. I havent used it on my plastic tied track yet, because I was afraid it would show off my mixed bag of track (euro and american ties). I am planning to have a wood tied branch line for loggin at some point though.

Awesome layout, Paul! I always enjoy seeing the RDC pic!

Cale,

I’ve been using warm white LED Christmas lights wrapped around the white birch trees down the line. It adds a nice touch when you’re down by the fire trying to see what you’re doing. I’ll be extending a 110v conduit down the line to provide the connections. The power source I’m using now is simply a lead acid battery with an inverter. It provides silent power, and since the leds use very little power, the battery life is spectacular. Hoping to get more strings when they go on sale after christmas!

Very impressive Jeff. You certainly have started a big project. Critters permitting I get the feeling that is will look splendid once spring arrives and there is new growth near the tracks. I guess many of us will follow your exploits: by the way one thing for sure is that garden railroading for some is not sedentary.

Looking great Jeff. Thanks for the updated pictures.

HELLO JEFF its looking good sofar … you could add a little cement dust along the sides of the ballast …then water it to set it just put only about 2 inches on each side on the slope …test an area first before doing the whole layout to see if it will work for you !!

I really like the setting. the fire ring is a nice touch as well. I love to sit by my fire and watch the trains run in the fading light.

Terry

Not sure how I missed this …looks great!

Thanks guys!

I hope to have some more progress shots up soon, as I’ve kept the row free of snow. I had my first fireside steam up for 1, last week before I took my shay apart. Now that it’s back together, I’ll have to get out there the first time we break 40deg to try it out!

It’s going to be great to watch your layout evolve. What a great place to build a layout.

I really like your design. I have a similar setting except I have pine trees to your hard woods. Perhaps one of my planned spurs will go “wild”.

What weighs more, a moose or a cow? Just wondering. Do meese travel in herds?