Large Scale Central

The New Rockwall Canyon

Thanks guys!

This layout is a combination of everything I learned from my old layout, and everything I wanted to do, but never could.

Ric,

I generally only see moose one at a time. I imagine they are quite similar in weight…from what I read, moose tend to be in the 400-700lb range around here. The worst is when they decide to lay down on the warm pavement in the early evening…and you have to flash your lights and beep your horn to get them to move.

btw…I just set up an IR wildlife camera today to monitor the activity. Hoepfully we’ll have some images tomorrow of what really goes on before dawn.

Looking god Jeff. Fresh laid ballast looks great. The stream will be fun to run a railroad over. I wish my creek wasn’t so far from my house otherwise I would have my layout out their. I sure hope you have a leaf blower. I would image after the leaves fall you wont even notice the layout. :wink:

Jeff, I don’t know where you are, but I have an uncle in Maine and he tells me moose can be in the 1500-2000 lb range. That is a considerable difference from where you are. Even at the 1500 lb range that is like 350 per hoof, not light.

Bob C.

Thanks Shawn,

I figure it will be about 300ft down the line to cross the stream from where I’ve started. So while, its not rediculous, it will still be a trek to get there, but I think its worth it… I have a hundred feet or so of low area I will be crossing on raised track. So I figure that will help me during leaf season! I’m thinking about using the local birch to make cribbing to suport the raised tracks. Two benefits, I save money on wood, and I will have less birch leaves to manage! And yes! I have a leaf blower and it got a lot of use this year…I subscribe to the leaf blower and large tarp method of mass removal whenever possible.

Bob,

I believe it! Moose are not terribly common in my area, but I happen to have a suitable habitat for them in my backwoods. Still, I don’t believe we get quite the size you would see in northern maine. According to NH’s moose hunting page, the heaviest moose taken was recorded in 1993 at 1040lbs

Not a moose…but we definitely have some wildlife!

I knew the deer were out there…but they were doing a great job avoiding the camera no matter where I set it. Last week in the extreme cold, I had to bring the camera inside to protect it from freezing up. At about 11:30PM as I trekked through the snow, I could hear the deer running all around back there. I admit, it was a little concerning, but all went well. And now, I at least have a picture to go with the noise. Sounded more like a giant buck with antlers crashing through the tree branches!

Time for an update! After operations ceased on the RCRR Mountain Line, full attention could now be given to the new Exeter River Line. The photos below show off some new ground and the installation of the second track of the mainline. Still dealing with a few leaves that came back in a recent wind storm.

Temporary 8ft dia reverse loop to allow for continuous operation of “phase I.”

And last…this is the next big project! Here the double track mainline will pass underneath the walkway. I’m not sure yet if the foot bridge will be made from stone or wood yet. I have some rather large flat stones, but I want to be sure everything is solid for walking and train safe beneath.