Large Scale Central

The mine

I decided I had enough rolling stock, so I needed to get caught up on this project I started 3 years ago.

I dug it out of the barn and mocked it up in the shop. I’m still working on the framing. Roofing, siding and windows to follow. It follows no particular mine, but a mixture of buildings I found in my books. It’s also going to be installed on a hillside, so getting everything in the proper elevation has been a task.

I’m building it as one piece, so a lot of hidden reinforcement is needed.

I’ll post pics as I progress.

Nice!..:wink:

Very cool.

A very impressive structure John. It will cover a couple of scale acres I guess. Fine work by the way.

Wow,

I was going to make a NE PA Coal Breaker style out of Lego’s; but switched to the silos for my flour mill… from Eaglewings!

Nice work John. Impressive structure, but I’d still be leary of the weight and awkwardness of it for placement.

The lower tipple has been in place for three years. This pic was when it was new.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jebouck/tipple7rs.jpg)

Wow, thats the cleanest I’ve ever seen that table in the middle of your shop. Nice to see you back on the “Mine” build.

Chuck

That is a very impressive structure John but why are you building it in one piece? it is going to weigh a ton and be tough to move especially where your site is on a hillside. When I built my mine complex I had a seperate foundation then 4 other pieces that make up the one building.

Here is a photo of it before the conveyor was attached.
(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/capecodtodd/_forumfiles/MineBuildings.jpg)

When this is complete you will be back to building rolling stock in the form of hopper cars. LOL I bought 8 and built 6 more HA !
Happy RRing

Todd, I wonder that myself sometimes. I had it in three pieces, but every time I set it up, it would move

a little and I would have to reposition and clamp it up again.

But I have some friends that will gladly help me get it installed on the hillside.

I’ve already graded the place where she’ll be set. I won’t be setting it out until spring.

When this is done, I have a sawmill on the drawing board. (Bigger than this mine.)

Very cool! I like the look of the structure.

John Bouck said:

When this is done, I have a sawmill on the drawing board. (Bigger than this mine.)

John, I guess there will be many like me watching for the commencement of that project.

Looks great!

I don’t know but looks to me like if you use the vertical siding (like you have) it should be plenty strong enough.

BTW…you better get some more weed killer it looks like your running low!

One piece? Hope it fits through the door!

A very nice model - I look forward to seeing it in place outside.

Are you using just regular track inside the building?

Bruce, that track goes in the long covered bridge that goes to the slag dump pile… I dunno why I put it up there.

I’m thinking about possibly “O” gauge for dump carts. I haven’t figured that part out yet.

I also need a boiler/machine house attached somewhere for the steam plant.

And a water tower.

M-Press-Ive! I think you need a bigger shop

BTW, is this to be a coal mine, gold/silver, or something else?

Ray,
Started out as a gold mine, then they discovered silver bearing rock.
It is a small operation. Possibly twenty miners work the mine.
Instead of stamps, it uses a crusher.

Its an excellent beginning of a model. It will definitely be heavy. But, that means it wont blow away!

John Bouck said:
Ray, Started out as a gold mine, then they discovered silver bearing rock. It is a small operation. Possibly twenty miners work the mine. Instead of stamps, it uses a crusher.

Cool…it has a story with it as well!

:wink: