Large Scale Central

The loot thread

For me, the greatest Christmas loot ever!

Great Grandson’s first train.

Merry Christmas to all.

Rick

Not so much in the loot department, 3 small tinplate houses and 2 - 6 inch ~ 4 wheel Marx tinplate cars.

I also got a week of vacation while SWMBO visits the grand kids for Christmas.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Dave

I got two more Bachmann J&S coaches to bring my fleet up to 6. :wink:

Dave Taylor said:

I got a windfall check a couple of weeks ago, from a summer project I did. The wife said I could spend it " Merry Christmas ". I waisted no time, before she could change her mind.

The Pallet arrived last Friday, Barely had time so far to get it Un packed.

7x12 mini Lathe with DRO and acc. pack.

Additional Acc. Pack

Plus 1/4 ton of all the good things needed to make it work.

I’m shooting to get it set up and tramed this weekend. The mill is one of those bucket list things I always wanted. My 91 yr. old clockmaker dad has had my lathe for years in his shop, so time for a new one for me.

Pretty good Christmas for me,

You win!

B-day/Christmas in same week…

742 Woodsmaster

Single Six Stainless

Kenwood TS-850sat

Socks & Underwear

Bob McCown said:

Dave Taylor said:

I got a windfall check a couple of weeks ago, from a summer project I did. The wife said I could spend it " Merry Christmas ". I waisted no time, before she could change her mind.

Additional Acc. Pack

I’m shooting to get it set up and tramed this weekend. The mill is one of those bucket list things I always wanted. My 91 yr. old clockmaker dad has had my lathe for years in his shop, so time for a new one for me.

You win!

definitely!

Gee, you guys are lucky. I got some chocolate and permission to live in, and maintain, this house for another year.

I got 1919 ‘Rules for Operation’. It’s for the Chicago and NW. Inside it were some cards for all the same guy, he was a conductor for B&0 from 1901-1914, then the cards skipped to 1918 for the Order of RR Telegraphers from 1918-1922, guess he switched over to Southern Pacific for that job.

Also and book on UP history, starts off with the Plum Creek Massacre, Plum Creek used to be the name here, till after all the bad publicity they changed it to Lexington, to still lure settlers!

I scored some pretty kickass pajamas

Dave Taylor said:

Additional Acc. Pack

That should keep you busy for a little while!

By the way it’s the operator who makes it work, the rest is just along to make it easier/handier.

Dave Taylor said:

Additional Acc. Pack

Dave, That is a score. Micro Mart sells a lead screw for both to convert them to inches.

The steady and follow rest will come in handy. I wish I could afford a set for my lathe. Used sets go for about $300+. Those China made end mills don’t last very long and when you go to get replacements, get American made. They will out last the other 2 to 3 times longer.

Next on you list should be a 4" rotary table with indexing plates and tail stock.

Be careful with your mill and after you have it tramed in and take small cuts. If you have any crash at all, retram it again. Another good idea is to fill the hollow mast with concrete.

Rodney

Rodney, Like I mentioned, I got 1/2 ton of stuff including the Rotary table.

And the power feed for the 'X" feed

Along with a 12" Height gage.

And the surface Plate to go with it.

Now try to visualize the conversation to the wife of just why I needed a “Flat Rock” It started with " dear it’s really not just a flat rock, it a really really flat rock… and it went down hill from there. Should nave keep my mouth shut, smiled, nodded and just let her go on about my new flat rock.

Some times our male ego just causes our stupid side to shine.

This mill & lathe have the inch scales. One complete turn of the feed handle = .050

All from the LittleMachineShop.com http://littlemachineshop.com/default.php

That good that they are inch. Yea I know what you mean by a really, really flat rock. The last time I went down to Grizzly (Springfield Mo), they had the 18"X24"X3" on sale for $30 but was out of stock. Got a rain check and need to get down there and get it and some other stuff. I already have the height gauge and a comparator. I would have to guess you have done some machining before if you dad has YOUR other lathe.

You can use some of those cheap slide scale for the DRO on the mill. I think I bought 3, 24" stainless scales for around $50 each from the bay. DRO is the only way to go. The slides is what is on my lathe and they are pretty accurate. When I first got my mill drill, I messed up several parts cause I forgot how many turns. When I got the Bridgeport, the first thing that went on it was a good DRO.

Another thing that I have and love is the 5C collet chuck. you can probably get some sort of ER collet chuck for your lathe. Also you’ll find you will need more tool holders for the lathe. Here is where I get mine. I’m guessing that yours is a AXA post.

http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

And the power feed is a must. I’d be lost with out it.

Rodney

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

The Smart-TV I got while SWMBO was in Europe is it. She is suitably impressed seeing my videos in HD on a 42" screen.

I consider it one more tool in the video-toolbox.

Nice. I especially enjoyed the Christmas Train video on the big screen this year!

All - If you have a Smart TV or Roku box, get Vimeo and check out HJ’s videos. The scenery is just amazing and the video and audio quality outstanding.

I like the Lathe Dave. That’s on my list. Still deciding what’s the best bag for the buck. I like the one you got.

Got an excellent pair of overalls to wear when building my backwoods track. I don’t know why I haven’t tried these before?..They work great when you’re building rock walls and assembling track at ground level.

I received an invitation to the dark side. Airwire t5000, convertr, and one of Del’s trailing car installation kits.

Don

Live Steam Butane Fired K-28. Now just waiting on the steam oil and I’ll fire her up.

Jake Smith said:

Live Steam Butane Fired K-28. Now just waiting on the steam oil and I’ll fire her up.

I think we have a new winner :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

The Smart-TV I got while SWMBO was in Europe is it. She is suitably impressed seeing my videos in HD on a 42" screen.

I consider it one more tool in the video-toolbox.

Nice. I especially enjoyed the Christmas Train video on the big screen this year!

All - If you have a Smart TV or Roku box, get Vimeo and check out HJ’s videos. The scenery is just amazing and the video and audio quality outstanding.

Thank you Jon!