Large Scale Central

The KVRR acquires some real estate

Ok got the file thingy figured out. Just scanned the original and set it as a PDF file. Except I cant figure out how to get it to post here directly.

http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/KVRR.pdf

Not very big of an area but a start though. The left end is lower by about 39" so the track will run on built-up fill and trestles etc. about 24" or so to get a less than 3% max grade. Curves will be less. Jerry noted the pine tree, well it’s a 100’ tall Yellow Pine and not really feasible to remove. It also provides much needed shade for the house and deck to the right.
Any input for a track plan would be appreciated. I want to have a roundy round but be able to run it ops style.

Edit to add: Maybe Bob can get the plan to post directly here.

Hey Randy nice area. How about doing a folder dog bone with grade elevations, trestles, and a tunnel. BTW that 100’ yellow pine would make lots of buildings and trestles. You could even have a scale working lumber mill next to the pool.

Chuck

folded dogbone + passing siding + 2 or so spurs serving industries…

maybe a 2nd loop inside, or a twicearound.

to do ops, just place a brick across the tracks to simulate a point to point.

No opinions on trackplan as it’s your RR and you choice Randy…just post pics when you start laying track!
:wink:

Okay working on a track plan. Dealing with the slope of the real estate. Want to have a 4 track yard about 16’ long…I know it should be level but how much of a grade could I put it on to?

Depends how far you want your cars too roll? You could use the flag method like Bruce did too secure your cars though.

Is it done yet. :slight_smile:

Randy McDonald said:
Okay working on a track plan. Dealing with the slope of the real estate. Want to have a 4 track yard about 16' long.....I know it should be level but how much of a grade could I put it on to?
I guess that depends on what you're going to run. If you are running "Big Haulers", almost any grade will severely limit how many cars you can pull. Ralph

Looks good Randy. PDF files will not display directly, but most people can open it in their browser by clicking your link. If you have Acrobat, you can save the PDF as a JPG file, which I did here…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jrad/_forumfiles/KVRR.jpg)

Save this, because I clean out my forum files every once in a while. Edit to add: I get over 10% grade from end-to-end if the loop ends are kept level. That’s too steep for most, so you will need to do something like cut & fill, which will add dimensional interest, or other track route techniques to get more run length for the rise. BTW - to calculate grade as a percentage it’s simply rise/run then move the decimal right two places. For your layout I counted 30 grids between curves so the Run is 30*12=360. You state the grade change is 39 inches, that is the rise. 39/360=.108333 or 10.8% But don’t let the grade stop you. My railroad rises 48" or more from end to end. It just needs to be handled the way the real railroads did.

Thanks Jon, I have saved it. The next drawing I will scan and save as a .JPG.
Ralph I was asking specifically about the yard area. It would help if I could put it on a 1 - 1 1/2 % grade, but in re-thinking I maybe should just keep it level.

Randy McDonald said:
Thanks Jon, I have saved it. The next drawing I will scan and save as a .JPG. Ralph I was asking specifically about the yard area. It would help if I could put it on a 1 - 1 1/2 % grade, but in re-thinking I maybe should just keep it level.
If it's a stub-end yard and the grade is down toward the ends, so long as you build sturdy track bumpers it could work.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/KVRR.jpg)

Hope the re-sizing worked

Randy - You are too quick :smiley: I noticed the file I uploaded was huge, so re-sized and uploaded again to replace the original. But yes - yous worked too!

Jon I will post a proposed track plan later today…it’s a run through yard. I will be keeping all grades under 3% and less than that in the two 180 degree curves at either end of the layout.

Here’s a first draft of a track plan. The high point is going around the pine tree. Did some digging yesterday to see how much I could cut there. Only about 6" or so before I hit a large root. But it helps some by reducing the amount of fill I need at the opposite end.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/trackplan.jpg)

Randy, if I may ask, what software or ? are you using to design your layout? Looks good. We just moved a few tons of dirt at my brother’s last weekend and now it is time to “pen to paper” for the layout. Thanks.

Mike, nothing fancy, just an old 2D drawing program called KeyCad Complete. I have to draw everything manually. No templates etc.

Thanks Randy.

Mike,

If you are familiar with AutoCAD, there is a LEGAL clone available for free donwload. I don’t have the link readily available, but GOOGLE ‘draftsight’, it will take you there. Installs easily, and is VERY AutoCAD like.

As Randy said, you will have to generate all your own symbols, but when the software is free, what the heck. I will look this thread up when I get home this evening and add a link to a web site with accurate diameter/radius dimension for AristoCraft track.

As promised, here is the link: http://members.westnet.com.au/susprog/AristoTrack.htm

Later,

Bob C.

Randy I thought you were like me. Just get out and lay some track like a real woodsman. You dont need no computer drawings.