Large Scale Central

The DÜRR 🌵 (A Trilogy in 5 Parts) PART 2

Cliff I like the idea of a low maintenance bridge and being able to whipper-snip around the base. I’ve been surprised how much the sun affected the woods shingles on my buildings.

As usual, you’ve taught me something new. I thought that a country that successfully replaced wooden studs with steel for house construction would at least be producing this steel under license. Apologies, Cliff! I should have used the correct term, weathering steel.

It turns out that weathering steel has been around since the 1930s and gained architectural popularity in the 1950s. COR-TEN is the trademarked name from U.S. Steel, derived from its two primary properties: corrosion resistance and tensile strength. While “COR-TEN” refers specifically to this U.S. Steel product, over time, the name has become synonymous with weathering steel in general. Other manufacturers have produced similar materials under different names, leading to the generic use of “Corten” (without the hyphen). This phenomenon is similar to how “Coke” in the Southern U.S. refers to any cola or soft drink, just as “Band-Aid” and “Kleenex” have become generic terms for adhesive bandages and tissues, respectively.

And yes, you are correct—we do import COR-TEN! Australia produces a version of corten known as REDCOR. I’m not sure what type of corten I have.

But I’d love those metal bridges.

The one thing from Arizona that we are very proud to own is Ayres Rock. Apparently digging it up caused a bit of erosion leaving Arizona with quite a grand canyon.

1 Like

Bill, love your Ayer’s / GC joke, haahhaaa! I wanna see the starship-crane that hauled that sucker!

Thanks for the information on the Corten, makes perfect sense. A lot more sense than shipping megatons of steel from the other side of the planet, just because of a weathering recipe!

Speaking of bridges and maintenance, here’s a few more thoughts.

I totally agree with Sean that once you set up the jig, you mass produce them. I’ll be doing that soon. And for a bridge on a budget, you can’t beat it. And for maintenance, you could lay a nice path of pavers to mow up to. And if you lay them well, with a slightly forgiving / shimmable base of some sort, you could use the same bent all the way over. And sure, there’s precedent for double-track. Not much, but enough to proceed with your hobby intentions!

Also, depending on the era, you might consider a simple girder / beam approach. You can use an aluminum channel, with the legs pointed up or down, depending on the style you wish to portray. Along the length you can adhere cosmetic angles, gussets, flanges, etc.; and even go nuts with rivets. Jerry B (naptowneng) did a great job with that on his lengthy span. Need to hunt up a photo…

Point being, minimal expense, two abutments and a single pier (or two), lightweight enough to take out and work on (say, if the rivet itch gets to you), and cheap enough to replace with something else down the road if that strikes your fancy.

1 Like

This might help

Agreed! I’m having trouble keeping up! Looks fantastic so far.

1 Like

should I be looking at volume 1 as well?

Can’t hurt unless you can not find it