Large Scale Central

The DÜRR 🌵 (A Trilogy in 5 Parts) PART 2

Completely understand. When I visited Germany in the early 90’s people were still lamenting the EU overturn of Reinheitsgebot law of 1516 , that allowed beer with preservatives into the country.

Can you remind us how far apart the two planters are ?

I could tell you what spacing’s I have used for the past 15+yrs on my RR but it would not be to scale and probably incorrect as I only model by eye and most of my stuff is toy like and dinky ahhh…never mind.

However I can tell you that my straight line run spacing is tighter than my curve spacing. Now when you involve elephants hanging out of a circus train you can take that whole spacing theory and just crumble it up and throw it in the trash .

In my opinion a 2’ long steel plate girder bridge is about as wide/span as you want to go then add a pier. If you would prefer a steel truss whether deck or thru truss then 4’ wide/span before a pier would be about maximum.

However I only model by eye but I think a double tracked (faux) concrete viaduct would be tit’s on a boar hog spanning those planters. Throw in the tunnel below now your talking PRR Safe Harbor material with the Enola low grade and upper grade lines.

Now were playing with dollies baby !!

Sean,

Thanks for asking.

10 feet lies between the boxes.

so, ideal for a trestle.
what you see here is 10 foot long and 1 ½ foot high (on the higher end)

1 Like

These are generally only for single track aren’t they? I’m hoping to not put any special circuitry in until I can get my head around that.

my trestle is. but there exist enough realworld- and model-trestles with double track.

or you could have it both: single track width (almost) but double track circuit.
its called running the gauntlet.

IMG_7553

Mr. Kormsen, I believe I am I suffering deja vu.

a man does, what a man must do…

but, for the déjà vú - that was not very precise.
Mr. Addams and Kormsen Kaos Kompanie use different styles of truss-bridges for their Krashes.

your’s troolie,

Bill, this isn’t the cheapest approach, but you could have two 5’ double bridges made, with the single pier in the middle. Or two 4 footers, with fat abutments at the end. Or a 6’ + 4’, but I’d cringe at the asymmetry… that’s just me though.

I’ve seen these bridges up close, and they’re quite beautiful. And being aluminum, they’re easy to lift out for maintenance.

One thing to notice: their “super detailed” versions have tons of rivets, and are much more pricey.

But how much to get it to him … :thinking:

In this person s layout you can see some nice trestle work …

Once you figure the sizes of the bents its just one after another until your done . .

The suggestion of twin bridges brings to mind what I did years ago on the old RR.
Each section is 6 foot long and only single tracked, they are Laser cut from 1/4 inch ABS plastic.
The piers were metal angle and lathe plastered and embossed with a stone pattern.

The bridges are now installed on the new RR individually and have held up well over the last 15 plus years.

2 Likes

Beautiful bridges, Sean.

Sean, where does the “nemesis” part come in?

Shipping since COVID has become ridiculously expensive. It used to be the cost of the item from the USA now it’s twice the cost. Add in the exchange rate, I generally multiply the price of the purchase by 3.3 to see what my total costs are. Surprisingly Europe is cheaper when shipping is involved.

Rick, how long did that spectacular piece of engineering take to build?

To clarify that remark, I started on my trestle designs a few years ago and have yet to install them. My good friend Sean, however, ensures from time to time that I don’t forget that effort, and get on with it and complete that project.

It’s been a big point of procrastination for me… but I intend to get them done this coming spring.

Along with my incredibly over-thunk switch machine project, which will hopefully be accomplished by a purely mechanical (zero electrons) approach.

1 Like

I hear ya, Bill. I was thinking that, since your planter box steel originated in the states, well, how about some bridges? But yeah, very expensive even without shipping and exchange rate.

I wonder if anyone knows of a build log for Marty Cozad’s high line bridge on his North Table Creek garden rr?

Probably all-welded, right? Anyway, I just bring it up as an example of minimal footprint. I really like Rick’s beautiful example as well.

And I harp on the minimal footprint thing, because of the lawn and its upkeep. With Rick’s approach, you can mow and weedwhack around the piers. A trestle is fine, however, if you make a gravel path for it on the lawn that you can mow up to.

just 2 more cents…

Fortunately we are big exporters of iron and steel here, Cliff. Infact much of our soil rusted.

We’ve even got automated trains to get the hematite to port.

I probably should learn to weld, eh?

Or concrete like this fellow who popped up on Pinterest

That fellow is Daniel Peck and he makes awesome metal buildings

Yes, but your Corten was made in Arizona I think…