Large Scale Central

The building of the M&M Railroad

Started laying some track today. Tried to add a short video of a test run but it would not load.

1 Like

Mark this is ticking along nicely. Where is this bridgework on your map?

The red circle is the bridge. Its on the front side.

Nice! Video needs to be hosted on a site like Youtube or Vimeo.

1 Like

maybe you should slow down a bit.
largescaling has a dirty little secret: once one has finished building a layout, thoughts about the next (better) layout start sneaking into ones brain.

It’s like you know me. I always have more then one project going at the same time, even after 44 years it still annoys my wife, and thinking of more projects. We have a third bigger pond we would like to add to the layout but it’s a 5 foot (1.5 meters) change in elevation in 20 feet (6 meters).

well, that shouts loud and clear: " waterfall! "

hmm,…
if you slow down somewhat at building, you might even fit into the Devoninger’s faction of the forum.

i personally think it is preferable to run out of lifetime, still having unfinished projects, than running out of projects before lifetime is done.

edit: 44 years? you two must be as stubborn, as my wife and i am. she is shaking her head at my ideas for 45 years now.

That’s a great philosophy! I feel better already :slight_smile: :grin:

Ok. Full disclosure. What we have is a bog to a small stream that feeds a small pond to a

water fall to a small stream ( though a stone patio) to a water fall into a big pond then the
pump pumps it to the bog and around and around the water goes. We are running about
5-6000 gallons of water. The big pond is 4 feet deep to over winter the Koi fish. I will post a
picture (video when I can) when we turn the pump on, we shut down for the winter.
I will defiantly have unfinished project when my time comes, and that’s good I can’t stand to not have something to do.

… I’m also hearing cog railway. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

• Though many Centralians have ridden (even raced) the Mt. Washington train, I was quite surprised I couldn’t find, using the LargeScale Centralian WAYBACK MACHINE (2007), that anyone, here has modelled a US cog loco in LargeScale… yet.

• Mark, have you tried Devoning? It’s quite, fun.

Amazing photos in Dan’s post👇

Mark, Just thought of another prototype you might consider adapting for your elevation issue. Getting a railway across the Blue Mountains just outside of Sydney was a challenge because surveyors found every valley terminated in a Cliff, not a pass. The rugged terrain of the Blue Mountains presented a formidable obstacle as they pushed west.

Engineers tackled the major elevation challenge by constructing the zigzag railway, which used a series of switchbacks to navigate the steep gradients. Completed in 1869, this engineering marvel facilitated the expansion of the NSW railway westward, opening up New South Wales to trade and development.

It’s been reopened as a tourist line. If you can convince your other half for a 21 hour flight, you won’t need a car. It can be reached by intercity train👇

I’m sold!

I think that’s a great idea for a vacation but my other half has trouble with a three hour trip, I can just imagine a 21 hour plane ride if I could even get her on one.

The nice thing about living on a big island, there’s always the option of stretching a 21 hour plane trip into something much longer… When we visit America next time, Herself wants to us come back a little more slowly (21days) on something like this…

https://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=18192

EDIT: Just realised page won’t open without signing in/up

IMG_8335

UPS delivered this along with the receiver, and power supply. I am glad my wife is excited about the RR as it would be hard to get the approval to spend this much.

1 Like

Lovomotive bridge/trestle test run 1

Here is the video, I finally figured it out :smile:

Bog,Streams and Pond video

Here is the video I promised of our water gardens. It starts at where we are going to put the town and goes to the bog a small stream to the small pond and water fall under the bridge to the next stream and another water fall to the big pond. The last stream goes through our stone patio with a flat stone for a bridge.

1 Like

Test run with second tunnel 5/1/2024

I laid some track today and started working on the second tunnel, still have to put ballast in and more rocks on the mountain. There is a gravel bank about 5 miles from me that should have some thing that will work, get it loaded in my trailer and off I go. Be a couple days before I get to do that, I have to work on our camper to be ready to go in a couple weeks.

With tunnels try to use the longest track you have so your not trying to fiddle with joints in the middle …

1 Like

I did, 60 inch USA train track in the tunnel. :+1: Tunnel is about 40 inches.