Large Scale Central

Switchcrafters #8 switches

On January 21st, I ordered a pair of left hand, #8 switches, with blackened rail, from SwitchCrafters (http://www.switchcrafters.com). They arrived a couple of days ago.

Being #8s, they’re large (about 38 inches overall length). They’re beautifully made, and solid. Each rail is spiked with 8 spikes, with the exception of the point rails, they float free for about the last foot. Some more pictures

While I haven’t ordered turnouts from them I have ordered RCS EVO E3’s from them and received excellent service. This is a good vendor. The turnouts look superb.
Dave

Is the rail on your switches code 250 aluminum? Just courious as I plan to use code 250 aluminum rail on my layout. These are very good looking switches. I like the long points that don’t have hinges and the way they are let into the lead rails. I bet they will take trains running through them at full throttle without a worry of derailments. Look forward to your comments once they are installed.

John

Wonder what took 'em so long, or is that normal?

Those look great! I especially like the ties, they look much more like real wood than the usual plastic ties.

Now you are literally bending the iron :slight_smile:

Well - OK bending the aluminum :o

John Bouck said:

Had to wait for the trees to grow for the ties. :smiley:

John Bouck said:

They are custom built per order, though I understand he’s trying to get a stock of various switches on hand.

These are code 250 aluminum. They’re pretty neat, the guide rails are soldered underneath with a bar to the stock rails. These should hold up well.

Really nice looking. I want to order some 332 Brass, I wonder when there going to make those ?

He does 332.
I think he has brass.

I have a review in (last year) going to be in the next GR issue.
I may even handle the line.

My initial concern was the unsupported rail of the points, with no pivot, but the flex is insignificant.

Then, since we use Tenmille Ground Throws, I had to re-work the throwbar to accept it, but he tells me he will make it anyway you want on the throwbar.

The ties are designed to fit ME ties in height, a bit higher than Llagas, but I have no problem with height.
I have a #4 in service, have for 4 or 5 months.

TOC

His site says TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE for 332 brass. I emailed him tonight to see when he will have them.

Just got my issue. Nice review, Dave! Or should I say nice THREE reviews?

I’ve got some of those switches, and I’ve been quite pleased with how they hold up and operate.

I’m going to mount these so that they’ll work together… I hope. I’m planning on some sort of double bell-crank setup, with a rod run between them. Im going to mount them to some spline so theyll be solid.

Interesting…compare the frog with Bob’s picture This is mine:

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Switches/IMG_2610.JPG)

This is Bob’s

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/bob_mccown/switches/switchcrafters3.jpg)

Wonder why the difference?

Are yours aluminum Bruce ?

Bruce they added the brass to the frog to make it sturdier - product improvements happen

Bob, have you run any cars through the frog yet ? On a long switch like that the frog gap is pretty long, I’m curious as to whether there will be any wheel drop going over the frog gap

Not yet, but thats a good experiment… lemme go grab a few pieces of AMS track and some joiners, and see whats up…

Just tested both switches, both through the straight and diverging route, with the points locked in the appropriate direction. Test ‘vehicles’ were an AMS hopper, an EBT boxcar with Aristocraft trucks, and a set of Don Winter’s Andrews trucks. A bit of clicking as the wheels traverse the gap in the frog, but no wheel “drop”. I tried to force the wheels to pick the frog, and couldnt get them to because of the guard rails. Running a car through at a higher-than-I-would-run-a-train speed, and no derailments.

Thats my 5 minute test.

I’ve run a bunch of trains through my #8 outside…no problems at all

These are aluminum rail.

That’s a picture of my #6…but the #8 looks the same. I guess he’s changed techniques. I’m not sure I’ll run THAT many trains through to wear down the rail…