Large Scale Central

Switch stands

It sounds like you might be getting it TOO hot.

Bruce Chandler said:
I know the metal does get hot because it does get a burnt color to it. That could be my problem. Whats the best way to apply the solder?

Well, I’m hardly an expert. :wink: So, take this advice with a grain of salt.

First, make sure the brass is clean. A few passes with a file is a good idea. I like to put some flux on the parts to be joined.

Then, I heat up the parts with the torch. You really don’t need or want a color change.

Push the end of the solder wire into the gap between the parts when they are sufficiently hot. The solder should melt from the heat of the parts being joined, not from the torch flame. In fact, you may want to back off with the torch a bit. The solder will be pulled into the joint by capillary action. When you can see solder all around the joint, stop adding solder, remove the torch and let the joint cool.

Shawn…60/40 rosin core and when the metal just starts too change color apply solder, if it flows your golden. These old guys can’t see :slight_smile:
Looks great!

Bruce Chandler said:
Well, I'm hardly an expert. ;) So, take this advice with a grain of salt.

First, make sure the brass is clean. A few passes with a file is a good idea. I like to put some flux on the parts to be joined.

Then, I heat up the parts with the torch. You really don’t need or want a color change.

Push the end of the solder wire into the gap between the parts when they are sufficiently hot. The solder should melt from the heat of the parts being joined, not from the torch flame. In fact, you may want to back off with the torch a bit. The solder will be pulled into the joint by capillary action. When you can see solder all around the joint, stop adding solder, remove the torch and let the joint cool.

Ill give that a try. Thanks

Yea, don’t heat the solder, heat the part and let the solder flow. That way you get a good bond.

Bruce Chandler said:
YES!
David Russell said:
Shawn....60/40 rosin core and when the metal just starts too change color apply solder, if it flows your golden. These old guys can't see :) Looks great!
Thanks rooster. This forums is great, I never would have gotten were im at without this forum and everyone on here.

Nice too see ya’ out of them pink panties and into some boxer shorts!
:wink:

David Russell said:
Nice too see ya' out of them pink panties and into some boxer shorts! ;)
LOL I figured it was time. :-)

Bruce,

Tried to e-mail you but LSC won’t let me. I did purchase the 1" brass tags. I thought they seemed rather large. I did find 1/2" tags with no holes. $5 for 12 plus shipping. They are 24 gauge which seems to be stiff enough.

theUrbanBeader.com

Rick

Neat site!

I justed used a peenny. Works good and its a little stonger and can handle getting kicked.

To contact persons on this forum…notice the small underlined “E-mail” under the number of posts the person in question has made…just below their name, on the left…punch on that and send your message…most people will answer.

I’m going to send David Russell a note to see if he is still talking to me…I usually give him a rough time on the chat…!!!

Fred Mills said:
To contact persons on this forum.....notice the small underlined "E-mail" under the number of posts the person in question has made...just below their name, on the left....punch on that and send your message......most people will answer.

I’m going to send David Russell a note to see if he is still talking to me…I usually give him a rough time on the chat…!!!

With the exception that new users (less than 10 posts or so) can’t contact people directly, to avoid the “join and spam everyone” problem.