Large Scale Central

Switch Stand

A few years ago at the ECLSTS, I bought a manufactured switch stand. When I showed it to [blank] he said, “Oh [Blank] did an article about making these using a penny.”

Can anyone fill in the blanks so I can figure out how to do this?

Yea, our one and only Bruce Chandler.

http://www.jbrr.com/html/switchstands.html

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/12687/search/view/page/1

Thankeuw

The website doesn’t work, but I’m reading the LSC, and I will look fro the GR.

Here is the proper link for Bruce Chandler’s switch stands…

http://www.jbrr.com/switch-stands.html

Thanks for noticing. :wink: My website will give you more “step-by-step” directions. Each picture has some text under it.

There was also an article in Garden Railways: “Scratchbuild some switchstands” - These working switchstands are both robust and functional: June 2007, page 60.

Lou I made a ferw of those. They are fiarly easy and cheap to build. I reallylike they way they look and operate. I need to make a few more for my micro. Get the GR issue with the article. It has a little more detail, remind me I can scan the article for you.

Hard to type with gloves on?

I’ll dig through my GR back issues while it’s snowing this weekend.

You might want to take a look at the tutorial I did for the switch stands I make at the following link http://danstrains.webstarts.com/switch_stand_tutorial.html hopefully it will be useful to you.

Dan

Those are sure nice, Dan. Nicely done tutorial as well. I like how you did those bent legs.

Thanks Bruce, I thought that they would be difficult to make, but once I got started, they went real easy and quickly. I was able to make one in a couple hours or less when you have no interruptions. I like the locking feature which holds the points firmly against the rails and since they are being used outdoors the brass makes them durable.

As soon as I start laying out my Chama yard, I will need to make more of them about 12 to 14 more I would guess.

Dan

Gee thanks Guys. How did you know I was looking for the same thing?

You guys still have pennies? The Canadian Federal Government removed them circulation after they found they were not cost effective to make. Now every purchase is rounded up or down to the nearest nickel. The new nickels, dimes and quarters seem lighter, so I assume there is less nickel in them. The new Olympic loonies (1 dollar coin) also have a much shinier finish. I wonder if there is less brass in them.

That’s the time honored way of devaluing the currency, putting less metal (gold, silver, copper, nickel, whatever) in the coin.

Paul, at last report on the history channel, they said it cost the Fed 1.6cents to make a penny. But we still have them anyways, and its probably closer to 2.3 by this time

I have lots of penny’s in jars, when they reach the 5 cent mark I’ll trade them in. Great way to save for retirement. LOL

I have a jar full of coins, mostly pennies, but dimes and nickles are mixed in. I cash in that jar every year to help pay for my gas to go to York. There was a time that jar paid for the gas both ways, but them times have passed.

When I was a kid, I was an independent contractor to the local dairy, driving a self propelled cart, selling ice cream bars. It was not uncommon to get paid, back then, with silver dollars or silver half dollars. Even then, I was smart enough to save the best of them as an investment.
Imagine my surprise when I returned from Boot Camp to find that my father had spent them as dollars. “Well, they were just laying in your room, in your drawer. I didn’t think you wanted them.”
Arrrgggghhhh!!!
I had 24 perfect, mint silver dollars, the latest date was 1886. At them time, my estimate was that they were worth over $100.00. I wonder what they would be worth, today.
Pow, to the moon!
Sigh.
I told him to keep his hands off my trains, if he wanted to keep his fingers unbroken. :slight_smile:

Steve, yea I have had things disappear that way too. Not worth quite as much as what you lost, but important to me.

I have a battery powered coin sorting bank for everything from pennies to toonies ($2 coins). If all the slots are filled it yields $92.50 in rolled coins. I used to empty my pockets into it when I came home from work. The first year I had it I rolled over $1500 worth of coins. I bought my first digital camera, a couple of diesels, and a good thickness planer with that mad money.

I still have the same bank, but it’s not as generous now that I have retired.

Wonder what the consequences are for illegal use of currency. Later RJD