Large Scale Central

Swale labours

Took advantage of a sunny long weekend with no one home but SW and me to get some uninterrupted work done on the railway. The mainline trackbed is finally done, bar trim work.

The planks in the trench are recycled from the old layout. They are sitting on about 600 lbs. of well pounded half-inch gravel. Oh, my back. I had been thinking about building an access bridge over the track at this point, but got wise (or lazy) and installed a level crossing instead.

Had to do a bit of dodgery, because the plankwork for the south-end curve, from the old layout, is 2-1/2 inches wider across than the new north curve I built (the one on the trestles). Fortuitously, I had a length of 20’ diameter curve that I had been intending for another project; it turns out that it will make a very nice easement to bring the north curve out to match the south. (The rest of the curves will be 10’ dia.)

On second thought, I decided that a 12’ span on the station side (double-track) of the layout was too long (see first photo), so I stuck in an intermediate bent, properly braced, which will help support the platforms, train shed, etc. Not to mention absorb the impact of hurtling grandchildren.

Lots of luvverly clamps to hold t’ings in place while the construction adhesive dries :). There’s another 70 lbs. of pounded gravel under that bent. And finally, a shot of the larger pieces of rock that I dug (well, crowbarred) out of that curved trench; that’s an Aristo rerailer on top for scale. That lot came out of a trench about 15’ long, a foot wide and a foot deep. There’s another heap of smaller trash rock out of shot.

Now we understand why the farmers were quite happy to sell this land (apart from the cold cash); it probably ruined any number of plow blades, and broke plowhorses and tractors. The federal Experimental Farm behind us uses humongous tractors that wouldn’t be out of place in an open-pit mine, and they don’t plow deep. The rocks will make a nice base for a rock garden (what else :)). It’d be nice to have track down before freeze-up. Rain forecast this coming weekend :frowning: (par for this summer). Oh well, only six months of winter to get through …

You got quite a bit accomplished, looks good…

Chris,

I realy looks like you have used the lay of the land to your advantage. Great fun to make progress like that, isn’t it? Looks like a nice place to run trains.

I don’t think you will have to worry about the grand kids, that roadbed looks mighty sturdy :smiley: Great job.

Jon Radder said:
I don't think you will have to worry about the grand kids, that roadbed looks mighty sturdy :D Great job.
You haven't met Tank and the Holy Terror ...

HULK SMASH!!!

Nice work Chris. Like the walkway and the way you decided to trestle the layout.

Jon Radder said:
I don't think you will have to worry about the grand kids, that roadbed looks mighty sturdy :D Great job.
Chris Vernell said:
You haven't met Tank and the Holy Terror ...

HULK SMASH!!!

LOL…
Looks good Chris
:wink:

David Marconi said:
Nice work Chris. Like the walkway and the way you decided to trestle the layout.
Apart from the grade in the yard, t'other reason for the trestles is because me back and knees won't take much ground-level work (or play). However, I hope eventually to run a branch up to some sort of industry on the high-level ground above the south-bend cut, just to have some rails in the landscape instead of two feet above it. There's an area of ground there shaded by lilacs where nothing much else will grow (apart from ugly weeds). Plunk all those rocks up there and make believe it's some sort of quarry/mining area. I have ideas for other industrial sidings in the oval, as well, so there will be some operating possibilities. On the other hand, I do like to sit and watch trains run ...

I did think of doing raised planting beds instead of the trestles, but it would have taken rather more time, sweat and capital than I am willing to devote.

I think that is a great idea using the lay of the land to create an in earth area along with the advantage of the raised bench work. I think you are creating the best of both World’s. Thanks for sharing.

Ric Golding said:
I think that is a great idea using the lay of the land to create an in earth area along with the advantage of the raised bench work. I think you are creating the best of both World's. Thanks for sharing.
Ya know that picture I posted Monday that you commented on - the long bridge to Coal Dump curve? The area to the right in that photo has been eyed for bench work expansion for a long time.

Too many ideas, too little time, and too much peer pressure to get it done :smiley:

Jon Radder said:
Ya know that picture I posted Monday that you commented on - the long bridge to Coal Dump curve? The area to the right in that photo has been eyed for bench work expansion for a long time.

Too many ideas, too little time, and too much peer pressure to get it done :smiley:

Coal dump or cat dump curve?

Ric dumps cats. I dump coal. The curve was named for a famous wreck. The last time my son Matt ever ran a train. Photo evidence… [url=photo.cvsry.com/Derail1-1280.jpg]

(http://photo.cvsry.com/Derail1-640.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]On the ground !!! - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=photo.cvsry.com/Derail2-1280.jpg]

(http://photo.cvsry.com/Derail2-640.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]The coal that dumped - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color]

Jon Radder said:
Ric dumps cats. I dump coal. The curve was named for a famous wreck. The last time my son Matt ever ran a train.
Oh sure. Blame Matt ;)

Ideas floating in my addled brain.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Eastend090909.jpg)

I think I shall run a quarry/mine loading spur off the inner curve; there’s room for an Aristo wide-radius turnout where the piece of straight track overlays the curved track in the pic above. The spur would point roughly in the direction of the rockpile. I have a wood kit for a trackside loading hopper, acquired second-hand some years back and since gathering spiderwebs, that would do nicely there.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Westend090909.jpg)

On the other side of the oval, I think I’ll put a crossover where the single turnout is sitting, and a small yard on the inside of the oval. Then I could run a point-to-point op, quarry to yard, independently of anything circling the outer track. Since the prototype I am (very) loosely following was a three-mile narrow-gauge line that originally conveyed lead ore from a mine to a transhipment point on a standard-gauge branch, I am only compressing things slightly :stuck_out_tongue:

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Northbend090909.jpg)

On the north curve, I am using Aristo “10-foot” and “9-foot” curves. If I laid them exactly parallel, there would be slightly less than 6 inches between track centres, so I moved the 9-foot curve south a bit to give 8-inch centres in the middle of the curve. With the small, four-wheel stock I have acquired to run the “quarry line”, the tighter clearance would probably not matter, but I do have some North American stuff that would be better with the wider separation. (SW insisted I pick up some second-hand Bachmann circus cars and an Annie. You gonna argue when your financial controller tells you to spend?)

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Tunnelsite090909.jpg)

I wasn’t going to do a tunnel; the always penurious prototype would never have indulged in such extravagance – indeed, it would not have carved out a cut, but gone over the hill (there were about 100 yards of level track in the whole enterprise). However, the cut is there in my backyard, and if I construct a three-foot long “box” (two sides and a roof) from 2x lumber, roughly over the middle trackbed segment in these pics, and pile some of those dad-blame rocks on top and each side, with cosmetic portals …

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Tunnelsite2-090909.jpg)

Kids love tunnels. Just have to make sure it doesn’t become a haven for small wildlife. The local cats may take care of that … Plans, plans.

Jon,

You said - "Ric dumps cats. I dump coal. "

I don’t dump cats, they dump on our property. Be careful, all that is yellow in them there hills, tain’t gold.

Chris,

You said - “Kids love tunnels”

That is true, so do derailmnets. :wink:

Chris Vernell said:
Jon Radder said:
Ric dumps cats. I dump coal. The curve was named for a famous wreck. The last time my son Matt ever ran a train.
Oh sure. Blame Matt ;)
Actually wasn't his fault. A Bachman coupler at the front of the train let go and 8+ cars went sailing down the steep grade. They didn't make it around the curve.

I was very careful not to get angry at him, and turned the accident into a photo and recovery opportunity. I guess he was just so bummed out by breaking some of Dad’s trains that he never wanted to run again.

He still likes to run at Fred’s though. Not sure why that is :smiley:

…because Fr.Fred treats him well…!!!

Ric Golding said:
Jon, You said - "Ric dumps cats. I dump coal. " I don't dump cats, they dump on our property. Be careful, all that is yellow in them there hills, tain't gold.

Chris,
You said - “Kids love tunnels”
That is true, so do derailments. :wink:

A) Don’t eat yellow snow.
B) That’s why I would keep the tunnel short. :slight_smile:

Installed a couple more lengths of 2x4 after I got home from work today and set the old trainshed in place. As you can see, it is somewhat the worse for wear after being out in all weathers for several years. Quite prototypical for a money-losing shortline, but it is time for a fresh coat of paint. Paging Tom Sawyer!

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/Trainshed100909.jpg)

It was originally designed to cover three tracks, so there’s now room for nice wide platforms (where those gaping holes beside the tracks are :wink: ). I’ll probably use fence boards, or maybe 5/4. The shed was constructed of leftover G1S 1/4-inch ply, with a plastic roof (formerly a political campaign sign, recycled to honest use), and has held up pretty well, all things considered.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/trainshed2-100909.jpg)

The shed is 4 feet long and 26 inches wide. Sufficient for small tank engines and a couple of four-wheel coaches (OK, small blue tank engines and tan coaches, for starters).

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/trainshed3-100909.jpg)

One of these days, I may get around to installing a proper interior – one of many round tuits in the pending file. :stuck_out_tongue: Onward, ever onward.

Last derailment I had some not very responsible individual no names mentioned DAVE…allowed a gorilla to escape off his circus train which in turn wreaked havoc on my local community. So I guess coal ain’t that bad!
Now that this certain individual no names mentioned DAVE has his own RR up and running I’m bringing my tank cars full of ammonia!

BTW…nice progress Chris!
:wink: