Large Scale Central

Swale labours

Looking good chris

David Russell said:
Last derailment I had some not very responsible individual no names mentioned DAVE....allowed a gorilla to escape off his circus train which in turn wreaked havoc on my local community. ;)
Ain't got no gorillas, but there is a largish dinosaur that stomps around from time to time ... fortunately, one of the herbivorous ones ... wish it would do away with the dandelions ...
Chris Vernell said:
Ain't got no gorillas, but there is a largish dinosaur that stomps around from time to time ... fortunately, one of the herbivorous ones ... wish it would do away with the dandelions ...
Oh just pluck them and cook'em up with bacon,egg and spinach. mmmmm I haven't had that since my grandmother passed away 10 years ago...she used to made a wicked batch of it!
David Russell said:
Chris Vernell said:
Oh just pluck them and cook'em up with bacon,egg and spinach. mmmmm I haven't had that since my grandmother passed away 10 years ago...she used to made a wicked batch of it!
The rabbits can 'ave 'em. :P

But to return to our muttons, I did a bit of recycling today. I tried the old, short station trestle for a goods yard at the new station, but it wouldn’t fit , so I moved it across the oval to become the base for quarry sidings. Another section from the old layout will fit nicely as access to the “quarry”. Got one deck block footing placed and levelled before SW summoned me to other tasks. Will try to advance the job tomorrow, before and after attending the Holy Terror’s sixth birthday party.
At least the weather forecast remains generally favourable :smiley:

If you survive the party post more pictures of the progress.

David Russell said:
If you survive the party post more pictures of the progress.

Be careful what you ask for, …

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/QuarryN130909.jpg)

…you might get it. As I noted, I took the old station roadbed – three tracks, two platforms – and repurposed it for a quarry loading area. I’m not sure yet how I’ll arrange the sidings; I’ve just dug out the loading hopper kit from its hiding place among the spiderwebs to check dimensions. It’s a wooden kit for a Kieswerk from holz-modell-bau (German, obviously :)), probably from the '80s; “Bauzeichnung und Bauanleitung inliegend” says the box; I’ll have to shake the rust off my German to read them :P; they aren’t exactly comprehensive, either. On looking it over, I think it will be one of those buildings brought out for operating sessions; I don’t think it will survive all-weather exposure. I reckon I’ll build it on a 3/4" Baltic birch ply base to keep the structure stable and carry it around. Wot the 'eck; I don’t know what it cost originally, but I paid $10 for it at the Railfair buy, swap and sell table a few years back, so I can’t really lose.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/QuarryS130909.jpg)

After some fiddling around, I decided to use a piece of 2x8 for the access roadbed; easier to cut and fit than the box girder I had thought of using; I’ll have to buy another piece of 2x4 to stick underneath and make a T-girder of it. I’m trying to use up old lumber; but sometimes you just don’t have the right bit on hand …

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/chris_vernell/_forumfiles/Cwmbach/QuarryW130909.jpg)

And another picture to show the backyard grade; the two deck blocks are about 48" apart, and the one is 8" higher than t’other. Good rack railway territory :wink: The poor old grass in the work area has really taken a beating (or a stomping). But that’s a spring project. The good weather forecasts continue; fingers crossed … except when I’m holding a tool :smiley:

Progress rules!

Good job and good luck with the weather.
It always feels good to get something done.
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:
Good job and good luck with the weather. It always feels good to get something done. Ralph
There was a doozie of a thunderstorm last night :P Everything dried out today, but now I don't have the energy to do anything. Job, pfui! And it's chilly. Supposed to get warmer again, though :D