Large Scale Central

Summer work

Just ordered a few tons of “landscaping material”, much of it destined for points off the layout. However there is method to the madness, as soon as I get that portion done SWMBO can get “right with it” and rectify a few landscaping “features” that are a royal pain. As in “pronto”.

As for me, I’ve just begun in the garden this weekend because I was very sick earlier this Spring.

With a lot of help from my sweet Irish wife Noelle, we got a massive amount of weeding done yesterday, our first venture into the garden this year. Intentionally we have no grass, so mowing never becomes an issue around here.

Now the weeds are gone and trains are running again on the branch line as well as in the main industrial area of Littleton.

Tracklaying will soon proceed to link up this area with the main Littleton freightyard.

Now that we have three radio-controlled locos, I hope soon to say farewell to track cleaning forever. At the moment, however, some of my favorite locos are still without this improvement, so track power is still an essential part of operations around here.

And that, H.J., is the news from my little corner of the world. How ya been?

Glad to hear that you feel better, John. I’ve got some weeds to pull, if you’re interested. :slight_smile:

John Le Forestier said:

And that, H.J., is the news from my little corner of the world. How ya been?

My usual and chomping at the bit to get things running. But since a certain order needs to be followed it can’t be rushed too much. One thing at a time followed by the next.

Glad to hear you’re better. BTW one of my German buddies, with more than his share of medical problems, put it concisely: “We are at a dangerous age”.

Personally, since only the good die young there’s plenty of hope.

Hey Steve, a few forgetmenots, perhaps?
A.J. A pal of mine put it this way: “Old age is not for cowards.”

Old age works fine, as long as you play with children your own age…!!

Patiently awaiting delivery of 4 yards of crusher fines and road crusher. And watching the Brasil vs Cameroun game. Everyone gets a run for their money!

Fred, I don’t want to be a grown up. Grown ups are very boring people who worry about stuff that never happens. And on the off chance that it does happen, its never as bad as they envisioned.

I am not an adult, I just play one in real life.

:wink:

We had a leak in the St.Blasius water circuit, tried everything and then some along the creek bed, no joy. Thursday I started up the creek and the waterfall pumps … well … well…well the St.Blasius well had run “dry”. Sooooo?

Did you know that the hose (ripped kind) that is sold for pond applications will shrink over time? It hardens out and shrinks, pulled it right off the inlet connector.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/P1a/StBlasiusWaterSource01_s.jpg)

But since I ran the hose through a nice size PVC pipe it was relatively easy to remove and replace. Replace after the PVC pipe was flushed of debris. I’ll build an enclosure with cover around the inlet to make it very easy to check if necessary (in eight more years).

Hans, yes. When my water line actually collapsed, I replaced it with some other tubing. Its a frosted, almost white colour. It has gotten a bit stiff over the last 10 or so years, but it hasn’t shrunk nor collapsed.

Yes, it’s live and learn. We’ll see how long the replacement lasts.

Anyway, there is a noticeable volume increase getting to the St.Blasius well. Let her rip and see how the level in the Seedorf lake holds up.

The revamped stairs are as good as done, too. Have to shoot some pictures for the Doubting Thomas clan to prove that the longest coach clears around the curve into the “Stägä Tunnel”. “Stägä” is the Swiss-German word for stairs.

Progress on the cosmetics aka all the garden stuff that has nothing to do with the railway, but keeps SWMBO in a good mood to keep on planting and planting. OTOH it’s her who wants to get the garden ship shape for a garden tour. Now, if she would learn not to puncture buried irrigation lines with a pointy fork, that would be one less job to do.

Hot and the Valley is full of smoke. Not a good situation this early in the summer. The “experts” say three weeks earlier than they expected.

PS And what did I get done? Not much, too hot! Fiddling some with the TC software, mainly the SmartHand portion and the 7" Android tablets.

66 and raining here. Like 3 or 4 months early.

We finally got a break from the heat, rain and humidity. 74F at 6PM when I got home. Ran a train once around, took a bunch of pictures and decided to weed around deep cut - THAT was a chore; but it looks much better now.

It’s raining; GREAT! We really need the rain; never mind that I won’t be working in the garden.

It’s going to be a hot long weekend, I just picked up the materials to raise a portion of the retaining wall between Bergün and Thusis. Bergün wouldn’t be much of a station without a station building. Space constraints in the garden, hmmmmm …

Also got the balance of the required Icon lawn edging stones, next thing I’ll need more crusher.

BTW my friend Art (and family) came by yesterday and the expression most often heard was “WOW what a lot of work”.

Art asked if I ever regretted not building an indoor layout again. Wellll, it’s been there done that, don’t want to get stuck in a rut.

Weather here has been very good; low humidity and temps just touching the 80’s, but I’ve been busy with other projects. I guess you could say prepping the RV and fixing the driveway so I can get it out to go to Bob’s TrainOps session is train related! It’s cloudy and cooler today; a good day to wash the side walls. Did the roof Thursday evening.

In order to get on solid ground with the station building I added a few more Allen Jr blocks.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/P1a/RetainingWallBerguen03_s.jpg)

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/P1a/RetainingWallBerguen04_s.jpg)

A quick check with the Styro mock-up of the station.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/P1a/RetainingWallBerguen05_s.jpg)

Yes, that should fit, subject to minor adjustments.