Large Scale Central

South Fork Sawmill

Got the second line finished up this morning. I used a Hammered Metallic Gray paint on this line instead of the Cold Galvanized compound that I used on the first run, I like it better.

2 Likes

That is extremely cool, Rick!

Thanks Jim, It’s a really fun project. In all my years knocking around the model train hobby I don’t think I have ever seen this stuff modeled before. But I’m sure it has been.

1 Like

Rick,
I really appreciate another modeler building structures that dominate the trains. Makes me feel like I’m not so crazy thinking about my 1:1 buildings. I’m sure that this sawmill is compressed still but not so much that it doesn’t look right. The trains still look small compared to the building.

1 Like

I’ll second what Craig said, Rick. Gorgeous work. I love the great details: flanges, ells, supports, etc. Looks awesome.

1 Like

I’ll third Craig’s sentiments. I find it quite refreshing to see this after those grain elevators using 4" PVC. :roll_eyes:

Dan,
What’s even more entertaining is seeing on FB 3D printing sites people printing 4" PVC pipe elevators in HO scale. Um just run down to your hardware store and buy some PVC pipe and cut it up.

Some more progress.
The cyclone is finally done and ready for paint and the fan for this line is almost ready. I have been scratching my head trying to come up with a design to mount the cyclone to the burner without it turning into a major project on it’s own.

Anyway a couple pictures.

1 Like

Those bug me to no end. A 4" PVC pipe in 1:29 scale is less than 10 feet diameter. Small concrete grain elevators are 20+ feet in diameter and 75-100 feet tall.

Yep! 20’ in O scale (1:48) is 5"! When I build mine, I will be going with at least 6" diameter and 36" tall.

When I built my ‘concrete’ coal tower, I had to order a bunch of different sized large-diameter PVC pipes to find one that looked right. I think this one is 9" dia.

Dan,
Wish you lived closer. I’d give you some huge 8" PVC pipe thats 2 sections of 4’. I had grand plans of building a huge elevator that would have been almost 8’ tall.

Finished up the blow pipe work for now.

On to the next project.

5 Likes

Awesome work Rick. 20 characters?

Are you going to have sound effects coming from within while you host gatherings etc. ?

We talked about that possibility, might be fun if a good sound track could be found.

1 Like

A couple, one with the sound of wood being sawn and a sound of saw dust being blown thru piping … maybe have a general squeaks and grinding as background noise as well .

FWIW, here’s one cheap way to add audio. Record / download what you want, edit it on the computer as needed, dump it onto a micro SD card, and play it with something like this.

[edit]When I added audio to a diorama a couple years back, I used a tiny audio board that accepted micro SD cards. But I had to add power supply, speaker, and a case to it. This seems to include everything, and has a rechargeable battery; so all it needs is to be turned on and tossed in a building.

Jeeze Cliff, that sounds really simple, I’ll jump right on that :grinning:

Another rainy day project.
The Cat shed/shop. Three service bays and a shack on the side for tools and parts.

The shed and shack

The slide in floor Dio. for the tool shack

A couple of semi night shots with the lighting on.

2 Likes