Large Scale Central

Sound for a LGB Mogul

I found a brand new (very old stock) LGB Mogul 23191
As seen here:

My local dealer has had it for 10 or so years (bought it for a customer that never picked it up), even though I have been in his shop hundreds of times I have never noticed sitting in the back of his display case covered in dust.
Needless to say it will be coming home with me in the next few weeks.

This model does not have sound, it is a German made LGB model (if that matters for install)
Not sure if the tender has a speaker installed or not (so I may need one)
Looking for tips on what is the simplest sound system I can install in this unit that sounds good.
Just running track power, no remote setup, nothing, just a set-it and forget-it running train.

I have some old phoenix systems installed in other engines and they sound fantastic, but when I look on there website and see the different boards, speakers etc. I get confused and have no idea what I would order.

Doesn’t have to be Pheonix, just needs to be easy to install. price not a issue.

Thanks,
Vinny

Great find, We are looking at getting the new Mogul due out this summer. There is one on Ebay also but the seller has not responded to my question so I am not moving on it.

Would you share how much you paid for it? I am trying to establish what is a reasonable sell price. The new one will cost me $1,800, the used one on Ebay listed for $1,100.

My LGB Mogul has a Phoenix P8 soundboard in it with the mogul sound. I love it.

Ed

The Phoenix P8 is not designed to run on regular controlled track power. It has no back up battery.

For a regular track powered loco you will need the PB11.

Sound is a subjective thing. What sounds great for one person may not cut it for another.

Mark Demyan said:

Would you share how much you paid for it? I am trying to establish what is a reasonable sell price. The new one will cost me $1,800, the used one on Ebay listed for $1,100.

You sure it is a Mogul and not a Mikado selling for that price? The one I am picking up is costing me $500. It does not have sound, if it did, ones with sound usually sold for around $900 (I am basing this off of my Colorado & Southern Bear Trap LGB mogul I bought new back in 1998) I have not been following what the new LGB products have been selling for, they all seem to be WAY over priced from what I have seen.

Yea, with the ups and downs of LGB, some folks are who are selling LGB are pricing it like its gold.

Ok, forget what I just said.

I just won an online auction for an LGB Mogul for. $176. I wonder what shape it will be in when it arrives. The photos of it looked good though.

Keep us posted on what sound unit you get. Mine my need some sound too.

Here is the one on Ebay

It has sound and head light but nothing is mentioned about smoke, I have asked the seller if it has smoke but he hasn’t replied to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141279814989?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mark, that is a Mikado. Not a Mogul.

All LGB moguls had 5 volt lights and all had 5 volt smoke units.

The biggest difference was in the engine to tender connections as follows:

3 wires only, 3 pin connector, used for track power and rear light. 2018D and 2028D

3 wires only, 6 pin connector, used for track power and rear light. 3 unused pins.

6 wire connector, but 2 versions of use.

Older locos had 3 wires for track and rear light, 3 wires for chuff sensor.

newer MTS locos had sound board in engine and now 2 wires for track power, 2 wires for light and 2 wires for speaker.

So, be careful mixing different engines and tenders.

Oil tender had 5 pin connector to mogul and is the same wiring as the 2-4-0 with the 69232 tender.

I have added a decoder at Train-Li to many of these engines and control the LGB smoke with 3 heat settings, plus added firebox flickering lights. Plus I did 2 of my own.

The all in one decoders give more realistic sound as when slowing down or coasting, there is no chuff and smoke unit goes to lower power for less smoke.

And Vincent is close enough to me for a hands on conversion for any method he choses to use for sound install.

Dan Pierce said:

All LGB moguls had 5 volt lights and all had 5 volt smoke units.

The biggest difference was in the engine to tender connections as follows:

3 wires only, 3 pin connector, used for track power and rear light. 2018D and 2028D

3 wires only, 6 pin connector, used for track power and rear light. 3 unused pins.

6 wire connector, but 2 versions of use.

Older locos had 3 wires for track and rear light, 3 wires for chuff sensor.

newer MTS locos had sound board in engine and now 2 wires for track power, 2 wires for light and 2 wires for speaker.

So, be careful mixing different engines and tenders.

Oil tender had 5 pin connector to mogul and is the same wiring as the 2-4-0 with the 69232 tender.

I have added a decoder at Train-Li to many of these engines and control the LGB smoke with 3 heat settings, plus added firebox flickering lights. Plus I did 2 of my own.

The all in one decoders give more realistic sound as when slowing down or coasting, there is no chuff and smoke unit goes to lower power for less smoke.

And Vincent is close enough to me for a hands on conversion for any method he choses to use for sound install.

Dan, do you sell the sound units also or just install?

Tony Walsham said:

UGH!!! Sorry trying to deal with too many things and I confused my engines. Here is the Mogul I am looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/LGB-28192-G-SCALE-PRR-PENNSYLVANIA-2-6-0-MOGUL-STEAM-LOCO-TENDER-W-SOUND-RC/131001377912?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23311%26meid%3D7289954634811422222%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9834%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D130878091724&rt=nc

Vincent D’Agostino said:

As seen here:

My local dealer has had it for 10 or so years (bought it for a customer that never picked it up), even though I have been in his shop hundreds of times I have never noticed sitting in the back of his display case covered in dust.
Needless to say it will be coming home with me in the next few weeks.

This model does not have sound, it is a German made LGB model (if that matters for install)
Not sure if the tender has a speaker installed or not (so I may need one)
Looking for tips on what is the simplest sound system I can install in this unit that sounds good.
Just running track power, no remote setup, nothing, just a set-it and forget-it running train.

I have some old phoenix systems installed in other engines and they sound fantastic, but when I look on there website and see the different boards, speakers etc. I get confused and have no idea what I would order.

Doesn’t have to be Pheonix, just needs to be easy to install. price not a issue.

Thanks,
Vinny

What is your control system? If you have DCC or are considering it, the zimo dcc sound decoder is a good option, and their LGB Mogul sound file sounds very nice. Here’s a video of my 23192 running with the Zimo decoder and that sound project:

http://youtu.be/kCZIlXWNfR4

Does your mogul have chuff triggers on its drive axles? That will make the sound work much better, as otherwise, if you’re not going DCC, you’ll probably have to go with reed switches on the tender axles/wheels. Personally, I’m not a fan of that arrangement. One of the reasons I went ahead and made the leap to DCC.

You are right, Tony. The P8 only works for me because all of my engines are battery powered. The P8 works great under those conditions. I guess if one were running on regular track power they would need the PB11.

Ed

Mark Demyan said:

Tony Walsham said:

UGH!!! Sorry trying to deal with too many things and I confused my engines. Here is the Mogul I am looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/LGB-28192-G-SCALE-PRR-PENNSYLVANIA-2-6-0-MOGUL-STEAM-LOCO-TENDER-W-SOUND-RC/131001377912?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23311%26meid%3D7289954634811422222%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9834%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D130878091724&rt=nc

We bought this one, figured if we don’t like it and still want the Mikado we can sell this one.

TJ Hickman said:

Vincent D’Agostino said:

As seen here:

Thanks,
Vinny

What is your control system?

:slight_smile:

oops

Vincent, I work with Train-Li repairing and installing Zimo decoders.

And I have done repairs for many years at my club meetings.

And FYI, the zino decoder can create timed chuff from back emf. When coasting, there is no chuff from these engines as there is no need for pwer.'The decoder does this electronically.

You need to call me for more info.

Picked up the Mogul today…looks and runs fantastic, still need to make a decision on a sound system…