Large Scale Central

Sound for a LGB Mogul

The LGB mogul sound units will not work unless you get the sensor input for speed.

LGB had 2 different rear axle sensors for this.

And if the chuff was not active, then the bell and whistle would not work.

If the board was 2 large stacked boards then it is the old analog sound and to me is horrible, I usually sell them.

For upgrading engine sound, all in one decoders (motor, lights, sound) have a cost of under $200m but for DC Phoenix cost is higher and can only do sound.

And the all in one decoder can run on analog or digital layouts.

Dan Pierce said:

The LGB mogul sound units will not work unless you get the sensor input for speed.

LGB had 2 different rear axle sensors for this.

Dan, do you have the sensors for the speed?
The unit works and sounds okay for my needs, but definitely needs speed sensors.

I do not have the sensor, but I did figure how to simulate it on a tender axle.

The board is looking for a voltage transition, so you need to use resistors to create a small voltage and the reed sensor to short one out. 3 resistors in series, the reed shorts out the middle one. I forgot the values I used and it is a friends engine as I do not use these old 2 stacked boards.

To make this board work properly you need the LGB rear axle and sensor form the older engine.

LGB had 3 different rear axle mogul sensors depending on the board in the tender or MTS in the engine. Latest is a small board with hall effect sensors (bell, whistle, and chuff)

When I put sound in a 2119d mogul, I used LGB’s self contained USA steam sound unit, along with the trigger unit that mounts on the tender truck and the backup power unit to allow standing sounds and fix cutting out at low track voltage/slow speed running. That sound unit had the same digital sounds from the late model moguls,(pre LGB bankruptcy era). I have an old PH Hobbies mogul sound unit, but its missing all the sound trigger reed switches. Its free to anybody that can use it. Just taking up space in my G scale drawer of stuff. Mike

Mike, I have a mute mogul that would just love to have it.

PM me your addy and I will stuff it in a small flat rate box. All the brown wires that are cut used to go to reed switches to sense track and axle magnets to trigger the chuff, bell and whistle. Mike