Large Scale Central

Show me your bridges

I’ll start

Back in the day in the hood

Well, since Todd already put a totally different spin on this, here is mine.

While not very impressive, it sure comes in handy at meal time! Seriously, I have one or two bridge kits in large scale, but presently do not have a layout.

Regards, David Meashey

Great idea Roo.

Since we are talkin’ “back in the day”, Here’s my first one (since replaced) at East Es-cap-e`…

And the first version of Indian Hill…

Both of those were wood, built long ago and since replaced with aluminum girders. First to be replaced was East Es-cap-e`. The girder is 2x2 aluminum tube with styrene details making it represent a welded plate bridge. The deck was cut from foamed PVC board…

And more recently Indian Hill Bridge was replaced. This time, for the deck I used cedar wood stained with linseed oil mixed with ebony stain…

When Indian Hill was replaced, what was salvageable of the original wood bridge was used as Bridge 5, an abandoned bridge crossing Deep Cut…

Bridge 5 may someday be connected to live rail to serve a coaling facility modeled after the East Broad Top coal dock. And finally, I don’t think this qualifies as a bridge, it’s just elevated roadbed. There are pipe dreams to replace this with a wood trestle, but that’s not likely to happen…

I have several more on the indoor. They are functional as pass-through, but not models. Does the Brunt Coal trestle qualify as a bridge?

Below are the bridges on the Bluestone Southern RR…

In the foreground is a bridge coming out of Memphis heading south… Looking up towards the left porch of the caboose

one can just see the bridge coming into Memphis… These bridges are actually pipe irrigation holders for field irrigation pipes…

Acquired these from a friend that worked at one of the Winery’s around the area… The top bridge is 2 tracks wide…

The bottom bridge was cut down to make a one track bridge. Dimensions of these bridges is 12 ft long, 23 inches wide and about 2 ft high…

Below is another cut down bridge coming out of woodlawn… This bridge was 2 units long…

Below is a trestle… Not really a bridge, I just liked the picture…

Below you can see that same trestle on the left… The wooden bridge towards the center of the picture is the Hilltop Subdivision bridge

connecting Bluefield (to the left) with the town of overlook and beyond to Evansville… Bridge is 28 ft long, made from pressure

treated deck boards, and later was stiffened with a metal L-girder…

Another picture from the other side of that bridge…

Below is part of the Y-bridge that is on the other end of Bluefield… Right leg continues on with the Sparta Subdivision, and

the left left actually starts the trackage for the Evansville Western RR…

Currently, there are 8 pipe holder bridges on the layout… There are 7 wooden bridges of different sizes…

One metal bridge built by Marty Cozad. One aluminum Bridge acquired from a friend… The trestle also

can from a friend…

A better shot of the Y=Bridge after it was modified to have trestles as the approaches…

Below, the bridge on the right is the Memphis Sub mainline… Bridges on the left of that lead into Freeman Spur…

The freeman spur bridges are a total mix of bridges…

Below are those 2 bridges looking from a different angle…

Taller bridge is the Hilltop Sub, and the lower bridge is Evansville Western RR between Addieville and Okawville…

I thought that instead of just showing the pictures, folks would actually like to know the construction…

Here is my bridge I built about 3 years ago. Its made from window screen channel Aluminum, I got the material at Lowes, the base is 3 decorative milk carton storage bins from Lowes also, using the base as the railbed. The gussets are made from .125 aluminum sheet cut with some tin snips and everything is held together with about 200 #4x1/2 sheet metal screws

Two 5 foot steel bridges with lift off tops for cleaning tracks. With River boat LED’s markers.

5 foot wooden Bridge

Making a test on Auto Swing Bridge for Barge clearance.

Re-painted and Auto Bridge locks for test run.

8’ Bridge over back side of pond. All on the SF & Butthead Cove R.R.

Twin six foot spans:

Keep them coming guys and thank you !

IMG.0449.jpg

IMG_0616[1] by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

Nov 20 South side of east mountain by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_E2413 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_1198 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_0610 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_0612 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_0648 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_0779 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

There are some seriously great bridges here. Cool topic, Rooster!