Large Scale Central

Scott's 2019 MIK Bulid

Pola buildings are easy to bash I have made several buildings out of just 1 2story pola and glue great with Model masters, or testors glue, Bill sand housetexaco

Friday night - Working on the dock roof and changing the front windows for some i found in my window and door drawer

Scott, may I ask where you got the backsplash stone?

We got some PIKO bits in trade, so this build will hopefully kick us over from thinking to doing!

Aloha,

Eric

More progress today… Got the foundation going. I got the backsplash tile from LOWES a few years ago…

building measured out to 9 inches wide by 26 inches long.

Nice stone work, Scott.

Scott that is starting to be a nice patch work quilt. I wouldn’t know it was parts from several buildings

Looking good Scott. Too bad they discontinued that stone tile. It is perfect scale for us. I still have one tile plus some cut-offs from a small station I did from a birdhouse several years ago. It looks really good with an tiny bit of india-ink in an alcohol wash.

Thanks, Scott. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

Working on the dock area. Using a rubbermaid insert from an old computer desk. scribing board lines and weathering. Using my hi tech dock attachment tools. Also testing the placement of my components..jpg

Scott,

I will now add “Rubbermaid inserts” to my list of “junk” that has garden railroad applications! Thanks for the tip!

Eric

Did not get too much done last night. Just spent the evening ripping down some walnut boards into support posts, exterior trim and staircase parts for the office area.

Hi Scott.

I see you went with real stone and nothing beats that but an alternative is to get a piece of plastic trim wood like Azek and use that for your foundation. The long term problem for wooden buildings outdoors is moisture and I have found that by breaking the wood contact with dirt prolongs the life of the building overall.

Here is a photo of my engine bay I built for the “door” challenge of Mik’s fun build several years ago. I used a dremel to scribe the mortar lines and painted it.

Just an idea for the future. Keep up the fine work on your building.

Thank s for the info on Azek, I will have to check it out. Is it rigid or does it bend a little bit…

https://azek.com/products/trim

It’s a PVC product. I used it as a foundation on my layout.

And as platforms for my stations.

Having gotten the idea to use the Azek PVC boards for my bench work as well from Ken, I ended up with a lot of leftovers. I decided to try an experiment and use some for grade crossings on my pathways. I thought I had a better picture of it somewhere but in the lower right you can see the track with it in there. I cut strips about 3/8 inch wide and just slightly taller than the rails and used rail spikes to nail it down. This allows people to accidentally step on my track with aluminum rails without bending the rails over. I left the wood grain up. I think it looks good and is also functional. After one year in it showed no deterioration.

I am finding the Azek product to be very useful and want to play with it as a building materiel for buildings.

I will use on my next build. Looks like its pretty easy to work with. Next build will be a Fire House.

Devon Sinsley said:

I am finding the Azek product to be very useful and want to play with it as a building materiel for buildings.

Yup

Azek is just a brand name for plastic wood that is used for trim on houses. We just had a bunch of windows put in and I helped the carpenter do the job and we used Azek. It is versatile and easy to rip on a table saw to a very thin piece but the dust goes all over so be ready with a vacuum. I have a bunch of cast offs that I will put to use someday on the RR.

It is a bit more expensive than wood but it will never rot.

It does have a bit of flexibility to it Scott J. If you go to HD or Lowes check it out and bend a piece.