Large Scale Central

Rockfishing

In another thread, Craig Townsend asked about my fishing technique for BFRs. Craig was interested in what I used for bait so I showed some photos from Quest For Rock and Rock Quest II. Cheeseburgers & Quality Beer…

So, Saturday looked like a good day to do some Rockfishing. Appropriate quantities of bait were used, but no rocks appeared. We tried again Sunday using only Beer for bait and scored these two beauties…

The one on the left is probably over 100 pounds. Carrying it from the boat or to the garden by hand was not a good idea, so appropriate hardware was employed…

A place was selected and prepared. It’s always been a challenge to keep this root disguised…

Placed and roughed in…

Catch #2 was placed as a stepping stone at the new industry…

I watered them in, hoping they’ll grow some…

Next I need to deal with the water flow from Rock #2 across the tracks toward Rock #1 as the new house causes quite a bit of water to move across and silt in the track here.

Don’t you know Jon that you need to change your bait frequently in order to get the rock fish to bite! :wink: Next you’ll be saying that your into fly rock fishing and are ‘making’ your own bait, both wet and dry flies, I mean beer… :wink:

100 pounds? How the heck do you pull them out of the water and into your boat without breaking your back?

Jon, next time you go rockfishing can you take me along?:slight_smile:

@Craig - I swear they weigh less under water! I have a pontoon with an open front deck. I usually fish while beached. This particular monster I had to “roll” from where she was caught to the boat, then muster all my strength to get it up to the deck from the beach, about 3 feet! At port it’s a foot down from the deck to the dock. Was a bit scary trying to unload it while trying not to break anything or drop it back in the water! It went directly from the boat deck to the hand truck.

@Ron - Pick a weekend and bring a pickup truck to haul yer booty home.

What a great subject. We have used the adoption method. For most of our adult life, we have seen lonely rocks along the road or along the edge of the water in a lake or a stream. We have adopted them all over the country and brought them home for over 40 years. We have given them good homes with plenty of sun, rain and weather of all types. There are no leashes, locks or chains to hold them in captivity. They are free to leave. But allas, they have stayed basically in place. Actually, like Jon, in “Glacial Time” they may be advancing toward the lake or fence and none of us will ever know.

I adopted many rocks from where they were cutting down a hillside to put in a new highway. Most of them are the coping for my pond. Also there is a hillside, more like a cliff-side, near here that sheds rocks after every heavy rain. Since there is a 2 lane highway below this cliff, its easy to drive up to the orphaned rocks. Coaxing them into the Jeep, or truck, isn’t always easy though. Once, a police officer stopped to see what we were doing. Once he saw, he backed up and put his flashing cop lights on, to worn oncoming traffic that there were 2 rock hunters on the side of the road. I guess he figured that what we rescued from the road, the municipal road crews wouldn’t have to rescue.

Jon?? What’s the size required for a ““keeper””???

Andy, around here the only size restriction is on how big is too big. I don’t need to be laid up with a hernia just for a “free” rock.

I agree with David. If it’s interesting and small, it comes home. If I can’t lift it to the deck it stays on the beach! Under the largest in the photo of my car, is a small one that might be marble; white with black spots. Looked cool so I scooped it up!

BTW - Have y’all seen The Long, Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi Arnez? Lucy collected rocks as keepsakes of their trip. Nearly caused disaster. When we first started camping with a trailer Marilyn did the same. I put a 5 pound aggregate limit on rocks brought home from camping.

I have adopted soooooooo many Canadien rocks.
I have to say I’ve even caried them farther than I want to addmit!
I also try to bring a rock home from each construction project that I oversee!
Never have enough rocks!
The biggest one usually come out of the hole I’m digging ( that last 1/2 " ) when your shovel goes clang!

We once rented a vehicle in Florida, after flying there, that was very similar to our van at home. Drove it around for a week and ventured out to Sanibel Island, before our flight home.

Happened on to a construction site and were impressed with the local rock formations. Opened the sliding door and started lifting them in. Suddenly remembered the van was rented and had to throw them back out. I wonder what the guys that cleaned the van thought about the extra dirt and rock crumbs on the floor mats was about. In Florida, I’m sure they see many strange things, when rentals are turned in.

My father in law used to say : glad you don’t drive a tractor trailer!

I have enough rocks to last a few lifetimes. You can rockfish all you want in my yard.

Shawn (napkin builder) Viggiano said:

I have enough rocks to last a few lifetimes. You can rockfish all you want in my yard.

I’d rather fish your layout since you have done a fine job of pre-selecting them! There are a few just before the tunnel on the inside of the curve that I really like. Several squared off straight line fissures that look really cool. I’ve never seen any like that near here.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

My father in law used to say : glad you don’t drive a tractor trailer!

Sean, I am not really sure what that means. But I used to drive one. And I am glad I don’t anymore

Jon Radder said:

I’d rather fish your layout since you have done a fine job of pre-selecting them! There are a few just before the tunnel on the inside of the curve that I really like. Several squared off straight line fissures that look really cool. I’ve never seen any like that near here.

Those are volcanic rock. Just down the road is a an extinct volcano. You can find your typical volcanic rock and then the ones you like are also volcanic but the cooling process was different creating those. If you want some I can get you some. Remind me when I come up your way. They are all over. I wish I knew you liked them, we could have done a quick trip for some.

That is a very true a statement. I’ve seen his rock garden back in the woods where he grows them. Quite impressive

When I go rock fishing, it seems that the really big ones always get away. Guess I just don’t have the muscle to reel them in. :wink:

Todd, yes, that’s the self imposed size limit I was talking about.