Large Scale Central

Rick's MIK 24

We have 30 days not 3 days. You are making great progress.

Thanks Dan, doing things like that are one of my favorite parts of the hobby.

Got a start on the vertical tank that will represent the “old” part of the facility. My cut off date is 1939 so the newer part of the business will be represented as 1-2 years old while the older section will date from the early 1920’s .

I used 1 inch building insulation foam again for the masonry supports and Redwood for the cross timbers. The coffee can was wrapped with Styrene and will be of riveted construction instead of welded. Also got the core blocks for the pump houses glued up and cut to size.

1 Like

Update Sunday the 21st.
Not much progress, to many other distractions.

Got the vertical tank completed and ready for primer and paint. That includes all 270 rivets but whose counting :smiley: Also the base paint coat is going on the stone piers.

The concrete piers are done, minus weathering, for the horizontal tanks. I used a wood block to emboss the 4 X 8 plywood sheets used for concrete forms.

The vertical tank base just about finished up. This tank will be painted black with rusty weathering and a sloped tin roof.

Tanks and stands look great, Rick. Can’t wait to see them once you get them weathered.

As always this is coming together nicely. Stone work looks great. But I hate to be critical but I think you missed a rivet. . . Better count again.

Finally a little progress
Thursday the 25th.

We had a couple hours of sunshine yesterday afternoon, fist time in 2 weeks, so I installed the retaining wall along the spur that will hold the ballast out of the bulk plant yard. Just a strip of siding painted to sorta look like concrete.

The vertical tank is finished. This represents one of only 2 remaining fuel handling pieces of equipment left from the old days before the remodel and upgrade that happened in 1937.

I’m going short on details on this project because of the number of pieces and the time constraint. For example implying by signage that valves exist in the box instead of modeling the valves :smiley: Detail can always be added later.

A mix of materials; Plywood, foam insulation, Redwood, paper coffee can, Styrene, sewing pins, beverage can roofing, electrical wire and paints and glues of course.

The pump houses are also finished, again all the pumps, piping, And gauges are just suggested. I tried a new technique to crackle paint the doors, didn’t work for crap for me, so I just wire brushed them and called it done. To lazy to rebuild them and start again :blush: :smiley:

4 Likes

Looking great as always.

Little more progress.

The horizontal tanks all built and ready for finish paint, final assembly and weathering.

Again a mix of materials; PVC pipe, Styrene, foam insulation, electric wire, Redwood, brass rod and plywood

Now the office/ sales building then the pump island.

Looking really good Rick. Still amazes me how good simple things look in your hands.

Are my eyes wonky, or is that ladder on a back lean? Some kinda test for the inspector?? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cheers
N

Rick you are one of my heros. You truly are an excellent scratch builder.

Well thank both of you gents for the nice comments.
No Neil it is just an optical illusion or maybe a tropical conclusion but the ladder is vertical. It is the walls that are at an angle causing the deception.

Great looking builds Rick. It will be terrific when they are all brought together.

Got this piece finished up today, well except for maybe some more signage.

Dug the left over piece of cement board out of the barn today and it looks like I have enough if I patch in one corner, more on that later.

1 Like

Impressive as usual, Rick. I enjoyed watching you put this together.

I’m still amazed at your lathe work on PVC

OK, the cement board base.

Here is the left over piece with my CB drafted templet, you can see I have a corner to patch. But I was able to gain an extra inch on the back and 5 inches out on the wide end. Good thing too because my finished buildings seem to have grown from the original templet.

I cut out the shape and patched in the corner, glued it with Liquid Nails and V grooved the joint.

On the bottom side I used a piece of 24 gauge Galvie as a splice plate to add strength.

Getting ready to fill the joint and skim coat the surface with patching compound, I hope it is still good it has been sitting under the bench for about 5 years.

Finished product. skim coated, stained/painted and sealed ready for install.

Did you cut with angle grinder, jigsaw or other?

Bill,
In the last picture the long edge on the left was an existing cut made with a hand held “key hole saw” from before.
The new cuts were made with an angle grinder and masonry blade. I wasn’t too concerned with that long raggedy edge as it goes against a masonry wall and is behind the line of structures.

Not exactly the most exciting update but a very functional one. I like the idea of it.

Yea, your right Devon. Not very glamorous but it does carry the rest of the project in a manner of speaking :grinning: