Large Scale Central

Request Opinion -- Smallbrook Studio Motor Block

thanks again Pete above seems to be clearer.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Gents,

Thanks for the conversation. I do typically run trains counterclockwise around the garden for reasons lot to memory. Maybe a filler of some kind will work? More tinkering to follow!

Eric

The sage continues…

Pete sent me a diagram and explanations as to why a washer on the back of the flange would work. Oh…I just didn’t understand the terms. Book learning behind, Kid-zilla, Diesel Dan, and I returned to the project this afternoon. We decided to test both the original LGB wheel set and the slightly modified Slater’s wheel set. Whichever negotiated the layout, to include the big cross over section, would be the final selection:

The LGB wheelsets are plastic, and the rods are a pair of piston rods that run to the after driver wheels. The axles fit, the drive gear fit, so it was time to let Diesel Dan push the chassis around the railroad:

We let Diesel Dan push this rig all over the railroad. It was largely mishap free.

Next up were the Slaters. I purchased some washers and affixed them to the back of the flange:

At first, things looked promising. You can see how the extra width did help guide the wheels through the frog with the worst wear:

In fact, it passed the Diesel Dan test! Unfortunately, as I strarted throwing switches to shift Diesel Dan around the railroad, things went south fast. It was better over some turnouts, but not all, and, worse, it was no derailing on curves, as if the flange was no longer deep enough to hold it in place. You can see below it failed completely on the “worst case” frog:

And there you have it…It looks like you need to use and LGB wheel set to make this little chassis work reliably on LGB track, especially if that track is worn and, in a few places, level only in a general sense.

Eric

P.S. At some point, Kid-zilla peeled off to do his own thing. I looked over, and, in the midst of my frustration, found he was just having fun on the railroad!

Sometimes, I need that reminder that this needs to remain fun!