Large Scale Central

Record temperatures

Ken Brunt said:
Ron Simpson said:
The biggest polluter in Washington when it's active is Mt St Helens, of course.
And since it sits inside a National Park that belongs to the Federal Gov't, it's not a far stretch to say the US Gov't is the biggest polluter..............;)
Actually, it happens to be true that the US government IS the biggest polluter in Alaska, creating more Superfund sites than all private entities combined. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are willing to entrust their well-being to those all-powerful but faceless bureaucrats who comprise the federal and state and even local governments when THEY often have no personal stake in actions they take which can and often do cost or otherwise do harm to the rest of us.

The Alaska Volcano Observatory reports that the seismic activity at Redoubt has increased markedly in the last 20 minutes. Keep checking the image I provided above. It is on a webcam and it is continually being updated.

Location of Redoubt:

(http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/blackburn49/redoubtmap640.jpg)

Ron,
Stay safe.
Thanks for keeping us posted.
Ralph

Ken,
biggest polluter in Washington State would be pot smokers. I believe that pot production accounted for as the second largest product made in Washington State, when expressed in dollars.

(http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/scooby19784/G001-1.jpg)

its been snowing here for 6 days straight bring on the heat

Six going on seven here in Ottawa

8 degrees and 30 mile an hour winds this morning here in WNC. I missed out on the snow, its about 40 miles to the north.
The good news…calling for 60 degrees Saturday.
I’ll get the bad news when my electric bill comes at the end of the month.
Ralph

Not much better here in georgia. High winds and 16 degrees. Yikes that’s cold for here. Later RJD

We are still at -4C and no windchill. That’s been pretty much the high for most of the day except the windchill was around -23C earlier. I had to go out and start my truck 3 times throughout the day so it wouldn’t freeze.

Our geothermal system at the school is also beginning to fail under the extreme conditions. It can handle the hard cold snaps from time to time but it’s been so cold so long we are actually starting to cool the earth around the building from the heavy use. It really does need to warm up soon!

Jon.

Had a very nice little ski-interlude today, the snow is just about perfect, the grooming was not too bad and the temperature right around the freezing point. What more would one want?

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Had a very nice little ski-interlude today, the snow is just about perfect, the grooming was not too bad and the temperature right around the freezing point. What more would one want?
Our 4 inches of snow on top of a packed foot made for perfect XC ski conditions. I went snowshoeing instead because im dealing with a pulled groin. I really want to get out on my XC skies. Im hopping maybe in another week I can start out light. I love winter sports, XC skiing snowshoeing and ice climbing. Of course running trains in the snow when its not too deep is great. Glad to see another XC skiier on the board
Ron Simpson said:
The biggest polluter in Washington when it's active is Mt St Helens, of course.
Chuckle! Of course!

Dave, we have been watching you in Adelaide as well as the folks in Melbourne suffer through some really serious heat. Here’s hoping February is atypical for you.

That said, after 3 weeks in the northern hemisphere in late Dec - early January, I couldn’t wait to get home to Perth. The temp was 37 when I arrived (it had hit 41 that day), and I loved it! Must have something to do with getting older - the cold never used to bother me much.

12 degrees here now. Suppose to be up to 60 by Saturday. The fluctuations of February and March bring the warm weather of Spring and Summer. Lots of snow and ice to melt.

We had a respite this week with the temperature down to the mid 30’s on Monday. 6 days of 40 and over in a row. However it will be 43C today to remind us that February is traditionally the hottest month. but will cool off over the weekend.
I am off to northern NSW (Coonabarabran), this evening, work related business, hope its not too hot there!
Dave

We will be having some relief this weekend from our “global warming” here in Eastern Pennsylvania. It has been below or slightly above 19F ( -7C) for about a month now, with more snow piled up and lasting for longer than I can remember since the mid 1970’s. Our temps are expected to get above 40F ( 4C) this weekend, then drop back down to below freezing.

If this climate pattern of the past 5 years continues, we in the NE USA will be in an Ice Age by 2030.

Deleted

And the Globe has been warming sence the last ice age. HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM what did we do to start the warming?

Thats right nothing. Mother nature did it.

Deleted

Look at the last one hundred years -

Man farms livestock on an unprecedented scale - methane - global warming

Man burns fossil fuel (coal) to create electricity - carbon dioxide produced - global warming

Man burns fossil fuel (oil) - global warmming

Man destroys forests on an unequalled scale (for short-term economic gain), not matched in our history - less carbon dioxide able to be absorbed - global warming

Man develops flourocarbons to enable refrigeration - hole in the ozone layer - global warming

As I type this, I am using electricity sourced from a coal-fired power station to run my computer, the airconditioner and refrigerator are running at capacity and I live in a timber-framed house that is sited on land that was once covered in trees.