Large Scale Central

Reconstruction of Nelson Yard on the IPP&W Railway

Nelson Yard, in the center of Ironwood Peter’s Pond & Western Railway, is also the eastern interchange point with the Rat Portage & Mattawa Railway. In the left of the picture is the IPP&W mainline to Glen Hammond and the eastern lead to Nelson Yard. In the foreground is the Blue Mountain Mine.

RP&M President Gord Bellamy setting out cars in Nelson Yard for a railway operation. The eastern end of the yard is anchored on a series of earth filled retaining walls built of stones and railway ties. The remainder is a deck sitting on 4 x 4 legs in deck blocks on patio stones.

Just beyond Nelson Yard is the Glen Hammond Passenger Station and a warehouse for MacKenzie Lumber. The eastern end of Glen Hammond also sits on a series of earth filled retaining walls built of railway ties.

On the 28th April 2011, winds gusting to 60 mph sent the 70 foot spruce tree in eastern end of Nelson Yard crashing to the ground.

Unfortunately the root ball tore out the retaining wall, lifted the roadbed deck, and dropped the legs outside of their deck blocks.

The crater created by the root ball swallowed the deck block and patio stone that once supported this suspended leg.

In order for a crew to cut and remove the tree trunk and its root ball, all the track and roadbed in this area of the railway had to be lifted from the bridges all the way around to Glen Hammond. This is the debris field east of Nelson Yard after the tree trunk was removed.

Although the tree is now removed in this picture, the root ball and crater still remained next to an abbreviated Nelson Yard.

Once the root ball was gone, re-construction of Nelson Yard began. IPP&W Railway President Fred Mills perched on the edge of the crater cutting away a protruding and very stubborn root.

The retaining walls at the east end of Nelson Yard and Glen Hammond were removed, and the earth used to fill the crater. In the foreground, the stone wall at the back of Nelson Yard was extended. In front of it, the roadbed for the IPP&W mainline up to Lily was cleared of debris. Beyond the wall, new roadbed stained with wood preservative was installed in front of the switch stand. The old Blue Mountain Mine was demolished and its spur lifted.

The deck for the eastern end of Glen Hammond Yard was re-built and the roadbed from the area of the switchstand installed. Pieces of 2 x 8 will be fastened to the plates protruding from under the roadbed to extend the deck next to the Dispatcher’s Office. The extended deck will hold the Glen Hammond Station.

Work progressed re-building the eastern end of Nelson Yard. Now that the old retaining walls are gone and the ground leveled, the 4 x 4 legs of the roadbed decks sit in deck blocks set on leveled patio stones.

Despite the oppressively hot weather, Gord Bellamy continued to work on the road bed deck for Nelson Yard. The long shadows indicate he labored through the extreme afternoon heat until evening.

The deck for Glen Hammond was completed and the station temporarily set in place until the track is added. It appears that vinyl lattice work will replace the old retaining walls at this end of the yard. Perhaps a tunnel portal will be added in it for the mainline up to Lily shown at the bottom right corner of the picture. The metal girder bridge for the mainline will also have to be re-installed where the lumber on the right is presently piled. On the left, the road bed deck for Glen Hammond has been stained. The boards lying on top of the deck are the fascia for Glen Hammond and Nelson Yard. Weather permitting; more pictures will follow as the work on the reconstruction of the yards continues. We are now confident that both railways will be operational before The American Invasion of Ottawa in July.

Great progress for such a disaster. It looks like the fort survived?

Yes, Bob, the blockhouse did survive…

Fred Mills said:
Yes, Bob, the blockhouse did survive.......
What about the blockhead?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

I’ll go to my room, now. :lol:

What a B**ch…it ain’t like you can have an operating session and bypass this area. Everything runs through here. But it seems the track crews have the situation well in hand and most of the hard work is done.

And I can imagine Gordy and Bud have some changes in mind for the area (air conditioned yard office with a well stocked beer fridge)…;).

Good work guys…see ya in July…:wink:

Well guys they say every cloud has a silver lining. Much work being done I see but I am sure the end result will be a great improvement.

Seeing Fr. Fred prostrate was novel: and it wasn’t Good Friday either. lol

Alan Lott said:
Seeing Fr. Fred prostrate was novel: and it wasn't Good Friday either. lol
It says he was cutting a stubborn root..............personally I think he was on his way home from the Pub Italia.............;)

Right :wink:

nice work and progress…

Great work guys. Looks like you will have trains running again in no time. That’s very fast progress considering how much had to be torn out and re-built.

The last board was put in at Noon today (08/06/2011) now to stain it all and put on the fascia…and of course lay the track. Progress is going well. Paul may post pictures, here or/and at our web page; www.ovgrs.org/

great progress gents. Should be back in operation in no time.
But I do have to ask where is the temporary track you put in to keep ops going while your mainline was out? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

Pictures have been added to the first post on the progress. Gord Bellamy laboured in yesterday’s oppressive heat to complete the road bed deck at Nelson Yard. It is wider than the previous yard.

Paul Norton said:
P Gord Bellamy laboured in yesterday's oppressive heat to complete the road bed deck at Nelson Yard. It is wider than the previous yard.
Give em an inch...

Bob,

You know its about time you should be thinking about getting out of the Country for a couple of days. 3rd week of July might be a good time.

Dave Marconi said:
great progress gents. Should be back in operation in no time. But I do have to ask where is the temporary track you put in to keep ops going while your mainline was out? :) :) ;)
The plans for a flyby were quickly abandoned when it was realized that all the track and roadbed around the tree had to be removed. As an example, the damaged Garden Metal Models girder bridge on the mainline up to Lily had to be lifted during the tree removal process. That cuts the IPP&W Railway in half. Fortunately the bridge sustained only minor damage to the catwalk railings and will be repairable.

When the east ends of both Nelson Yard and Glen Hammond had to be removed, that not only severed the IPP&W at its busiest point, it removed the eastern interchange with the RP&M Railway. So until the new road bed decks were installed and stained, laying track was not possible.

Gord Bellamy, who did a lot of the work rebuilding the yard decks, is also the person who installs our always reliable track and switches. He modifies each switch for maximum reliability. Now that the weather has cooled somewhat, I assume he will begin that task and leave the finishing touches on the decks to others. As both the new Nelson Yard and Glen Hammond have changed, there will be new track plans for the area. And as we know, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

All is not lost however, some of us have run trains on the either end of the railway. From the east, the line is open from Craig Leigh, through Mount St. Helen’s and Ironwood, to Spruce. There are a lots of impromptu operating opportunities in these areas.

In the west, now that line at Ferndale has been deforested, it is possible to go from Bellamy, through Rat Portage, Ferndale, Bell, Peter’s Pond, and Mercer, back to Bellamy.

One, Steve F. can stay in his room for a few days! Great Progress considering what happened! I await the final project pics.

Paul

Am I wrong again, or wasn’t there an ability to continue operations and get trains from Craig Leigh to Fir Grove by way of a switchback in the area of St. Helen’s and then using the new back entrance to the RP&M at Bell? I fear operations as taken a back seat to construction in the desire to expand, improve and dominate the Ottawa Valley to prevent intrusion by USA rail interests centered out of New Jersey. I feel an “Invasion” is warranted and preparation is underway for the latter part of July.

Hi Ric! It is possible to run from Craig Leigh, through Mount St. Helen’s, to Ironwood; then back up through the hidden switch between Peter’s Pond and Watkin’s Siding. That would allow you to run through Bell to Fir Grove on the IPP&W; or through Bell, Ferndale, and Rat Portage on the RP&M to Bellamy. From Bellamy could back through Mercer, Peter’s Pond, and the hidden switch to Ironwood. Then move forward from Ironwood through Mount St. Helen’s to Craig Leigh. Sounds like an interesting job for my set of GP-9 diesels, as they can be MUed and run in either direction. Weather permitting, I will try that run Saturday morning. Unfortunately Gord is the person who normally programs Rail Ops, and he is busy building road bed decks and laying track. An invasion! I guess we better get the block house back in place and stock it with appropriate cold ice and brown pop. :wink: BTW: The Northland Railway also had some trees and one the lattice screens blown down.

(http://ovgrs.editme.com/files/AI10Day1/Pic18.jpg)

After they were dealt with, all the old switches were removed from in front of the original car barn, and two 5-way switches were installed in their place. The new switches make it much easier to move rolling stock in and out of the barn. All the modern freight cars were moved to the new car barn to make room for the narrow gauge rolling stock in the old one. The RS-3 assigned to the task ran out of fuel after the first run, so a Shay was pressed into service. Unusual seeing a Shay haul intermodal cars, 55 foot tank cars, boxcars and covered hoppers. Took a good part of a morning to fill the new barn. Expansion plans for the railway have been delayed because of the long winter and poor spring. Ralph and I usually go to Doug’s on Thursday mornings to help, but it has rained almost every Thursday morning this spring.

Paul Norton said:
I guess we better get the block house back in place
I still wanna know about the blockhead!

Ducks and runs for cover. :stuck_out_tongue: