Large Scale Central

Really large scale trains

Is anyone into this hobby of amusement trains? http://users.wildblue.net/steam/ If so where do you get track from, and what is the best way to ballast it? Thanks

With your permission, Bob.

Speaking as the resident Geezer:

Large Scale Fanatic—real name, please.
Introduce yourself.

TOG

I agree…REAL NAME PLEASE…what are you trying to hide…?

Please fill in your profile and be proud of yourself, or don’t bother me…

You could start here: Discover Live Steam. There is a lot of that stuff for sale there plus supplies of all kinds. They should have track in the “for sale” section. I think you will find the above mentioned set in the “for sale” section. As for ballast, driveway gravel works fine. Most landscapers have a variety of gravel available. The hard part for most of us is having enough flat land to put it on…:frowning: There is a magazine devoted to the larger ride-ons (12" to 24") too. You should find ads for that somewhere on the above site. There are a bunch that “model” in 2 foot also. Two Foot Scale

I model the smaller, 1 1/2" stuff.

Who cares what name! I just looked up the web site and if anyone can afford 65 large for a train set, I’m available for adoption!
Poss

Thanks for the post Warren, it helped me out quite a bit and I already found some track I might be interested in. Also why do I have to post my name, does it really matter. I am just trying to protect myself against Identity Theft.

Been using my real name here since 2000.
Identity ain’t stolen yet.

TOG

Identity theft only becomes a problem if your social security number, credit card number or bank account information is available. None of this information is requested. But name and general location is desired.

Why, because we are a close knit group of friends. These are people that we get to know very personally over time. I just got back from a trip that was 3000 miles round trip to play trains with my internet friends. It was a trip I will cherish for many years to come…and I plan on doing that again. Ric Golding, Jerry Barnes and Norm Anderson from this site were among those I spent my trip playing with. Fr. Fred (Mills) hosts at his home a big train run of friends from this site each year…as well as his group from Canada come down to the states and join in the fun here…usually at Ric’s house. To repeat myself, we are a group of friends who share in our love of model railroading. We are not just another commercial, anonymous model railroading forum. We ask you to join us as a friend.

As for your location…we model in the real world, not a world of controlled environment like the smaller scales. We cannot share with you, nor can you share with us your experiences and knowledge if we don’t know a general location (not your exact address) where you live. How you model, lay track and experience the joys and frustrations of modeling in a real world is based on where you live. It’s different everywhere.

John Bouck said:
Been using my real name here since 2000. Identity ain't stolen yet.

TOG

I can’t imagine anyone wanting yours…:smiley: :wink:

As a charter member here at LSC I can state we don’t require a proper name, we’re just not that draconian…but its considered good form to introduce yourself. One of the main reasons is personal responsibility. In the past on this forum and others, there have been folks who deliberately set forth to ‘fan flames’ or otherwise incite unrest. With a proper name one has to take responsibility for ones actions. Another reason is for the fellowship and promotion of the hobby…I might bump into you at a show or convention and buy ya a beverage of your choice if know who you are, also you may find the site a way of discovering other folks who live close to you, or let other folks just starting out find a local guy that can help them out.

We ain’t wantin’ to be Site Nazis, we’re just invitin’ you to be a part of the family…

Speaking of real names, who’s this that’s been posting for years. Curmudgeon for instance the link; http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=7901&p=1 Personal Username: Curmudgeon Real name: Curmudgeon Location: (Unknown), Website: http://dnkgoods.home.mindspring.com/index.html E-mail: (Private) Messaging ICQ: (Unknown) AOL IM: (Unknown) Personality Signature:

If one person is asked to use their real name then shouldn’t everyone? Just wondering.

Yes Dave Goodson…but then everyone knows him, and anyone can get his name and location from his magazine ads.
He is an old fart just like the rest of us, and like me, uses a “Slight” masking to add mystery to his methane exaust…

He doesn’t really hide; heck he posts his web page in his profile.

Ask anyone, who to see for good advise, and what are they told…“Just call Dave and say please: and you will fine help for just about anything that ails you…!!!”

Fr.Fred

Most here also know that “Northwest Remote Control” is a banner sponsor as well as a forum sponsor. Call NWRC and you are calling Dave. While I agree with Bart that we don’t need site Nazi’s, we also don’t need ventilators, trolls and skallywags that desire nothing more than to trash the place…and there have been some that tried.

Ken Fillar said:
Speaking of real names, who's this that's been posting for years.

Curmudgeon
for instance the link;

If one person is asked to use their real name then shouldn’t everyone?
Just wondering.

Dave is one of those few persons that if he used his real name…No one would know who he was. One of the characters that have achieved legendary status…

Besides no one is REQUIRED to use their real name, folks are just interested in meetin’ a new friend…

So then, it ok for some to use aliases but not others? right?
Interesting responses,
Is this a good way to treat new comers or should I say new aliases?
Just wondering.

Bart Salmons said:
[ Besides no one is REQUIRED to use their real name, folks are just interested in meetin' a new friend....
Funny way of showing it.

Ok…its obvious there are folks spoiling for a fight, I’m not feeding the trolls…Life’s too short…its just a hobby guys…not Homeland Defense…

Funny how some people show up, just to throw a grenade…

Gtrainman said:
Bart Salmons said:
[ Besides no one is REQUIRED to use their real name, folks are just interested in meetin' a new friend....
Funny way of showing it.
Ken, No one is picking on your beloved LGB here. Or jumping all over you for you not using your real name.

You need to calm down and get a life.

TonyWalsham said:
Gtrainman said:
Bart Salmons said:
Funny way of showing it.
Ken, No one is picking on your beloved LGB here. Or jumping all over you for you not using your real name.

You need to calm down and get a life.

Tony Dude, chill, I simply just pointed out something, and now it’s with facts.
Isn’t this a friendly web site?

Oh yea, about that get a life thing you mentioned.
Your right, It’s time for my evening Harley ride.

BTW, think my name is really Ken.