Large Scale Central

Really cool start on a layout

I found this photo in the “Random Photos” section on the home page.

Wow!

Great start, Mark Betlem. I especially like the duckunder. I wish I had thought of that! Are there any more photos of your layout?

That duck under is very clever.

It could also serve as a spot to stop and inspect a train from underneath.

I just wonder if it will collect water when it rains.

Judging by the slope of the ground, I would think a floor drain in the bottom would alleviate that issue. Great concept tho.

Thanks, Steve, for the “wow” and also posting the pic of my layout. I actually have many pics that I have been trying to figure out how to share with yunz but with my computer-challenged brain my freight shed is as far as I was able to get.

This pic, taken at the end of last summer, is the final of three phases of the second section of my layout. The first phase Is pretty much at ground level. But then as the yard drops off I constructed a landscaping block wall to build the yard up, until I got to about 4’. At that point I realized that I would have to transition into some type of framework. At the lowest point the ground drops to 9 1/2’ below the upper section. With the inspiration of Richard Smith’s infamous Orford Coast raised bed layout (thanks Richard) I was able to come up with this concept. All of the structural timbers are treated for ground contact 4x4’s and galvanized lag screws. I wanted it to look railroady from the top as well as the sides. The underpass was built using 74 railroad ties. I wasn’t sure if the slope would permit enough headroom, but after playing around with it on paper long enough I was able to get 6’2" clearance. The ties were installed on edge to give 9 1/2" risers. The entire structure was built on an 18’ base of crushed and compacted #57 limestone, so the drainage has not been an issue.

Since the pic was taken I have been able to complete the installation of supports and track for two loops of track around plus a yard over the underpass. I have also been following Ken Brunt’s fabulous documentation of his raised bed layout (thanks Ken). I like the idea of his 1/2" hardware cloth and window screen to fill in the gaps. But since my timbers are further apart than his pvc board spaces, I went with the following on top of the timbers: first layer is galvanized expanded metal screen, then 1/2" plastic hardware cloth, then landscaping fabric, and on top fiberglass window screen. All are attached with galvanized staples. It is strong enough to walk on but yet allows water to drain through easily. Although I have to watch the weight factor, on top of this I can add my limestone ballast, mulch, dirt to whatever to try to get thissection to blend in with the rest of the garden landscaping.

I will try my best to get some pics out for everyone. It is actually pretty cool. I know how much I enjoy everyone else’s pics and I would like to offer some of mine in return. Stay tuned…

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

No, that didn’t work so well. Back to the drawing board…

Steve, You can see some pics of my phase two wall and some bridges if you go to my profile page and then go to photos. The trestles and covered bridge are from the original section (about 12 years old). I will work on getting some more recent and orderly pics out this evening.

Mark Betlem said:

Steve, You can see some pics of my phase two wall and some bridges if you go to my profile page and then go to photos. The trestles and covered bridge are from the original section (about 12 years old). I will work on getting some more recent and orderly pics out this evening.

Mark,

Very impressive! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Hi Mark, I to stumbled on these awhile back and was thoroughly impressed. That’s some very nice sturdy and aesthetically pleasing work.

For posting pictures try this:

1. have your post open in one window or tab, in another window or second tab have your freight shed open.

2. hover you mouse over the title of a picture that you want and right click. When the menu with option pops up click “copy link address”

3. Go back to the window with your post and click the “edit/insert image” button at the top edit bar that looks like a mountain with a little sun in the corner

4. a window will pop up with the cursor already blinking in the “source” field. Just hit “ctrl+v” to paste the url you just copied in. now hit OK and it should show right up in your post.

Hope this helps because I want to see more pictures of your awesome work! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Don’t forget to resize pictures to no more than 800 px wide! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

I like how the upright supports are built to look like trestle bents.

Wonderful layout and workmanship… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Very nice indeed. Especially like the duck under - a different approach

I like that, that’s cool.

Joe, you can have pictures of 1000 pixels wide now. Wider is doable, the forum will resize to 1000 pixels but you end up using up your freight shed space faster with larger pictures.

Mark Betlem said:

Since the pic was taken I have been able to complete the installation of supports and track for two loops of track around plus a yard over the underpass. I have also been following Ken Brunt’s fabulous documentation of his raised bed layout (thanks Ken). I like the idea of his 1/2" hardware cloth and window(http://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png) screen to fill in the gaps. But since my timbers are further apart than his pvc board spaces, I went with the following on top of the timbers: first layer is galvanized expanded metal screen, then 1/2" plastic hardware cloth, then landscaping fabric, and on top fiberglass window screen. All are attached with galvanized staples. It is strong enough to walk on but yet allows water to drain through easily. Although I have to watch the weight factor, on top of this I can add my limestone ballast, mulch, dirt to whatever to try to get thissection to blend in with the rest of the garden landscaping.

Yea, WOW!

Watching someone take an idea one step further is worth more than a thousand ATTAboys. Maybe I can steal a few of yours Keep up the good work…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

David Maynard said:

I like that, that’s cool.

Joe, you can have pictures of 1000 pixels wide now. Wider is doable, the forum will resize to 1000 pixels but you end up using up your freight shed space faster with larger pictures.

I now believe you are right!(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif) The picture below is OVER 1000 px wide and it displays perfectly. Thanks David.

“yunz”

How far west of Pittsburgh?