Large Scale Central

Read This

Bob McCown said:
For the first time in the almost 9 years I've run this forum, I have been forced to implement something I was hoping I would not have to.

Effective IMMEDIATELY:

No religion or politics discussion.
No insults. Period.
No “baiting” someone else’s beliefs, or pushing their buttons.

Seems like those last two items should have been sufficient. Unfortunately some folks can’t discuss religion or politics without insults or baiting. Oh well.

At least TOC is back!

Thanks Bob,

I’m sorry it came to this, but I think the site will be a better place for it.

As to the jokes, we may or may not, have gals reading them.

I can easily lay off the political and religious fire dancing, but the jokes thread should be “reader beware”, sanitized jokes are rarely funny. As long as they arent too colorfull (because every joke no matter how innocent is offensive to someone somewhere) there shouldnt be any problem. :slight_smile:

Victor Smith said:
I can easily lay off the political and religious fire dancing, but the jokes thread should be "reader beware", sanitized jokes are rarely funny. As long as they aren't too colorful (because every joke no matter how innocent is offensive to someone somewhere) there shouldn't be any problem. :)
I completely disagree. Many of the political and religious jokes that have been posted are extremely offensive to many. How are you going to decide what is a joke and what is political/religious comment in the guise of a joke?

This was once a family oriented site. Many of the jokes that have been posted aren’t family fare.

If you need sex, religion or politics to laugh then perhaps you should seek your humor elsewhere.

I like political jokes, religious jokes and smutty jokes, but I don’t think this forum is the place for them.

Thank you Bob.

Jon then how do you or anyone define the line between offensive or inoffensive?

As I said, as long as the jokes are not too colorful I dont see a problem, I’m not advocating jokes that are clearly racist or sexists as they are easy for most people to understand are over the line, but there are an awefull lot of jokes that while a bit little racy or may use a little florid language, are still perfectly acceptable to most rational people.

I would state that if the joke thread is going to be censored into elementry school level knock knock jokes then it too might as well pull the plug.

Two hunters in New Jersey are out in the bush when one has a sezure and collapses, his buddy panics but manages to call 9-11, “Whats the emergency?” the calm voice on the line asks.

Ommagod! ma buddies dead! he’s dead!, he just dropped and he’s not movin’ at all!!"

The voice on the line tries to calm him “Settle down sir, I can help, first, are you sure he’s dead? check his…” but the guy interupts “Oh Hold on”

theres silence then…Bang!

“OK now whadda I do???”

Offensive? to a few maybe, but this joke was recently voted one of the best jokes of the year a couple years back, so quite a few people must not have been offended by it, unless they was from Jawsey! :lol:

The pub I frequent closed Sunday. Reopened as a “Tea House”.
Conversation is now limited to that which will not offend old women.
The censors are now assaulting the “jokes”.
Where does it stop?
Tea anyone?
Ralph

Oh, and I have a real funny (to me) story that fits perfectly in with all the rancor we just went through. But, I promise to keep it to myself.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/lastmanout/_forumfiles/ROTFLMAO.gif)

Have a think about this .

All laughter is at the expense of someone’s embarrassment

Mike M

A Redneck friend of mine just sent me this one .

The favourite Redneck word at the moment is “Obama” as in "I just bought a crate of beer and drank it obama self "

Political ? Not from these shores it ain’t .

Mike M

The favorite word on college campuses in the 1960’s was ear, as in " 'ere"

Boy, a couple of days to get things ready for York and this happens. I agree with Ralph, I drink coffee and rum, not much into Tea. Oh well, correct me when you need to Bob, but it was fun to egg these guys on.

Victor Smith said:
Jon then how do you or anyone define the line between offensive or inoffensive?[i][/i]
That's exactly the point. No one person can judge what will or will not be offensive to another. I think Bob's rule was clear. No politics & No Religion. He didn't say no sex, or sexist comments. He didn't say no offensive material.

My point on the joke thread is that many of the jokes posted recently were politically charged direct attempts at getting a reaction. If a joke fits the description of a troll post, then it should be left unsaid or kept to email.

The whole point of all of this is to help us remain friends and stop the noise. Everyone needs to use their own judgment as to what is appropriate to post. With the new rule, if someone disagrees to the appropriateness of a post, then they will report that post to Bob who will make the determination.

I don’t envy Bob in having to deal with this. It would have been much better if people had listened to the warnings and policed themselves.

See, I get a job…and y’all poop in the pool…heheheheheh

Jon Radder said:

The whole point of all of this is to help us remain friends and stop the noise. Everyone needs to use their own judgment as to what is appropriate to post. With the new rule, if someone disagrees to the appropriateness of a post, then they will report that post to Bob who will make the determination.

I don’t envy Bob in having to deal with this. It would have been much better if people had listened to the warnings and policed themselves.

Jon,

The proof of the pudding will be how long it will take before people start pushing/testing the limits. Mind you, the way I read Bob’s instructions it is crystal clear there is NO lee way as regards those topics.NONE Given that my estimate is 1-2 weeks. :frowning:

Thanks Bob,
I guess it is time to spend more time here again.
JimC.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Jon Radder said:

Jon,

The proof of the pudding will be how long it will take before people start pushing/testing the limits. Mind you, the way I read Bob’s instructions it is crystal clear there is NO lee way as regards those topics.NONE Given that my estimate is 1-2 weeks. :frowning:

Agreed! I would tell my children growing up, they can be an anchor or they can be a sail. I’d try to encourage them to be sails and look to the positive side of life.

I am confident the war is over, as least as much as it was back in 2006. Diverse opinions can be interesting, instructional and inspirational, but when it devolves into mud-slinging, it is time to put the brakes on as Bob has done.

Peace!

Bob said:
Since I cannot, and do not, want to read every post in the forums, anyone that sees anything they deem violate any of the above 3 rules, email me a link to the thread, with the subject "LSC thread question" and I'll take a look at it.
So, if HJ says something that I don't like, I can tell on him to Bob, and he'll get in trouble? Cool!

Steve is already testing the limits. hehehehehe. :lol: