Large Scale Central

Rating Sound Systems?

I would like to add some sound to a diesel and one into a tender that could be connected to a steam loco. Looking around sound systems run the gammit from about $35 to $300 and include polyphonic and non etc… etc… I know in most cases you get what you pay for but is there anything that surprises? I have heard some of these online and the real difference seems to be in the horns and bells sounding almost real or like something I had on my HO train table 30 years ago.
For my particular needs I’m basic DC track powered.

How would you rank the major sound systems.

1 Phoenix PB8 PB11?
2 Sierra
3 Tsunami
4 Zimo
5 QSI
6 Revolution Crest
7 Dallee
8 NRRR inc.

What did I miss? and how would you rank the systems considering best bang for the buck?

The only 2 I’m familiar with are the Sierra Soundtrax and the Pheonix. I’ve got one or the other in each of my loco’s and tell you the truth, I cant tell the difference between them. The only reason I don’t have a Sierra in ALL of them is they quit making them…:wink:

You could also consider MyLocosound.

The Steam sound is excellent especially for the US$69 price. Tune-able for tone and pitch of chuff and whistle. Great “drifting” feature for such a low price. The bell is automatic at low speed. Better than Dallee steam, but not as good as Phoenix. Hey it is 1/3rd the price.

The diesel sound is soso. Not a patch on Dallee, let alone Phoenix but OK for smallish diesels.

Just FYI, I was reading the other night that Piko is selling sound systems, supposedly for their locos, but why couldn’t they be used in other large scale locomotives? And, the kicker is, Soundtraxx makes them for Piko. So I wonder if Soundtraxx is eventually going to get back into the large scale market with something other then their DCC Tsunami decoder.

I have heard good and truly awful Dallee sound systems. I think (personal opinion) they may have 2 different lines of sound boards. A decent line and an awful line.

The only Dalee one I ever heard was terrible. It was a diesel sound, and all it did was hiss. I bought an amplifier for it, and it hissed louder. So I am done with them. I wonder about the my loco sound. Is is that good Tony? I have Sierra and Phoenix in all my diesel and one Mikado. I actually liked the Sierra boards, lots of interesting settings. But all we have now is Phoenix. But they are pricey,

Paul go to the MyLocosound website http://www.mylocosound.com/largesteamsummary.html and have a listen.

I really like the steam.

Diesel is OK but…

So far the results are as I thought Sierra and Phoenix are at the top.

I had a listen to the mylocosound and you are right Tony the steam sounds really good but I think the bell leaves a bit to be desired.

Keep the opinions coming guys.

For US$69 it is good value.

I have Zimo sound units and the advantage of this unit is it is a combination of motor, sound and light servo controls.

SO, a steam engine can have the chuff control a fan for the smoke and make it puff, and the heater has 3 settings for idle, running and accelerating.

When coasting, a steam engine does not have chuff or puffing smoke and this decoder does this.

4 servos (mx69x series) can be added for Digital users to control things like an uncoupler, or door open/close.

Any function output can be gyro, ditch, smoke heater, pr even a pantograph.

Remember, all this in one unit, not separate boards!!!

I only have older sound systems from Siera and Phoenix in both steam and diesel and as already mentioned I can’t tell the difference between them.
I have no idea what there newer systems sound like as the last time I had one installed was about 8-years ago.
The only new sound system that I have that I really like is what MTH is using in there VO1000 diesel engines that I have, I don’t know if they can be purchased separate, but I do like how they sound.

I have an old PH diesel, good for it,s time. I have also got several MRC MODULES, not bad. I use them on my, not so favourite loco,s. They cost $10.00 a piece when they were selling them off. ( Better than silence)
I also have an LGB module that came with an E-Bay buy. Quite good, as you would expect.
But, the Daddy of them all has to be the Phoenix unit that I have. As the management releases monies for improvements, that’s where we will be purchasing.

I only have Phoenix. Started with their '97 board and have never strayed. I was a sound engineer for quite a few years and CAN tell the difference. Polyphonic sound is important to me as is lots of power to drive large speakers and the ability to drive multiple speakers without frying the board. The programming capabilities of the 2000 and later boards make them extremely versatile.

That being said; I’ve heard some of the others and don’t have any specific complaints.

Tony Walsham said:

For US$69 it is good value.

FYI:

Website and latest GR Mag now says $79.99 US

Just a reminder to all, The sound card is only as good as the speaker and it’s mounting. Heard a steam PB11 sounding like sh*t… I looked and it was being driven to a 1" oval speaker with no enclosure other then the tender shell. They took out the B’man speaker and just screwed it to the grate. He thought that the PB11 system was the worst in the world……

Careful about “Apples to Apples”.

I like mylocosound, I have a couple of them for steam & one for diesel, but why is it cheaper in the USA $69 - $79 compared to $95Au. I thought it was based in Australia?
Andrew
Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway

Part of the difference in selling price is the OZ GST which has to be built in here and not added on after the sale at the checkout, like it is in the USA.

Peter did tell me he was going to raise the USA price. Probably too many complaints from Aussies about the price disparity.

OK, now I understand. Thanks Tony for explaining this to me.
Andrew
Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway

Nowadays this aging brain takes a bit of time to absorb what info it is given.
I believe it is only recently Peter has acquired a USA agent. The price increase covers a small mark up for him.
Previously Peter dealt direct with USA customers because of the high A$.

I have recently begun installing Zimo’s on my engines. I don’t have any diesel, all steam, so I can’t specifically comment on their diesel sounds. Although the install, and in particular the programming, has been a pain in the neck, the sound quality is fantastic. I am very pleased with it. I have videos available if interested.

TJ, I find the Zimo easy to program, but I admit I have done over a hundred of them.

I like the older MX690 manual for finding sequential CV listings.

I do activate pulsing smoke, have made servos work, and have been able to reassign sounds with my hand held to different function keys.