Large Scale Central

Rating Sound Systems?

Todd
I have dalee’s in my rdc’s
They sound ok. It’s a simple diesel sound.
When the horn or bell sounds, the diesel engine sound stops.
You don’t notice it because the diesel engine sound kind of becomes back ground if it still sounded.

Now the Phoenix in my (new to me) Hudson… no comparison.
I also have and old RO sound system in and nw-2 I don’t know how to explain that one.
You do get what you pay for.

P.S. Todd I will have 2 RDC’s with sound(Dalee) for sale @ “E” show ( Jamies collectable)

I’ve a few Soundtraxx (steam) & one Dallee (diesel).

I’m considering a Mylocosound for Thomas…I also have one NIB Soundtraxx Diesel I thought could be re-programmed to operate w/ Steam Sounds :frowning:

ETA:

My Dallee is one of the boards that Aristo offered at a lower cost. It wasn’t until I had installed that I realized it was minus a few features from a ‘regular’ Dallee board. The horn is the main culprit…meaning it cycles through a different horn blast instead of allowing the user to use as they wish. Instead of blasting your way through a crossing you may have a reverse horn, or a fwd or a long blast. My kids don’t really care, but it’s always been a sore spot for me.

Dallas (Dallee) offered to program like his normal board for about $40, and I may eventually do that once I get running again. It wasn’t his fault/problem that Aristo sold them w/o informing the consumer properly of the limitations of the board. I would have bought one of the regular boards for the higher cost if I had known then…

My Climax and Shay had Phoenix boards and they were nice too…though they are both now residing elsewhere.

For the Analog Battery/RC dud(e) like me, Soundtraxx Sierra was the board of preference…

Dan Pierce said:

TJ, I find the Zimo easy to program, but I admit I have done over a hundred of them.

I like the older MX690 manual for finding sequential CV listings.

I do activate pulsing smoke, have made servos work, and have been able to reassign sounds with my hand held to different function keys.

A friend has been doing the DCC install and he is the one that has reported the issues (he’s worked with many other decoders before). We have the mx695kvs and if I understand, part of the issue is that the MXULF is not powerful enough to read the CVs. He’s been having to do something more convoluted involving his Digitrax equipment to be able to read CVs (I’d try to explain but it’s over my head).

I might have to have a look at one of those RDC’s Sean I suspect they are of the B+M variety?

New Haven x2

The newer MXulf is still in what I consider the beta software stage. Not all the features are yet available.

I use the older unit but find tuning projects is very easy with the Zimo system using the handheld. I move sounds around different function keys and custom control lights.

8 NRRR inc.

Anyone know if this unit will work with the Rail-boss from Del?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHUFF-WHISTLE-BELL-SOUND-SYSTEM-FOR-G-SCALE-GAUGE-1-/11128038

http://grw.trains.com/en/Product%20and%20Hobby%20News/Product%20Reviews/2010/08/Hyde-Out%20Mountain%20Live%20Steam%20sound%20system.aspx

Reading Kevin’s review I’m led to believe it may not…

You would need to cut the reed switch leads to connect to a RailBoss. If Bell & Whistle don’t share a common ground, that could be a problem since the RailBoss is a common ground trigger system.

I didn’t see the review so I don’t know what the concerns were.

thanks

leaning myLocoSound now

I started with Sierra steam and diesel. Good sounds and worked well. Sounds can be adjusted a little. Still have one in a goose and 1 for steam.
Moved up to phoenix steam P9 systems with computer adjustable features. I like being able to adjust volume levels on each sound function as well as turn off those I don’t like. You can adjust the phoenix to your hearts content.
Sierra is like am radio and phoenix like fm stereo!
I like the phoenix best but don’t put them in every thing as they are pricey.
Finally built outdoor rr last year and found that I turned sounds off after 10 or 20 minutes.
Liked to listen to the wheels clickety clack and the birds chirp too!
Thomas might get a mylocosound …

Cale with sierra you cant change steam to diesel or vis versa.

It is funny how many people shell out the dough for a sound system then find they turn them off because it gets annoying. It is so nice to have the option though.

I saw and heard the new to be released TCS sound system at the NMRA Piedmont Train Show. The owner of TCS was demoing the unit. It is designed for G-Scale also.

Look out Phoenix you have some competition now.

Price is around $120-140.

I checked out the TCS website and watched the video and it was really good. I believe it was setup for DCC with all the sounds that were triggered. They have a card for G scale but not much info or a sound sample. We will have to keep our ears open for this one.

Todd Haskins said:

I checked out the TCS website and watched the video and it was really good. I believe it was setup for DCC with all the sounds that were triggered. They have a card for G scale but not much info or a sound sample. We will have to keep our ears open for this one.

Yes, one of the nice things about this DCC device is you get voice feedback and instructions telling you your options and/or changed settings.

You can do micro steps on the chuff until it is correct for your engine, no sensors needed.

Todd Haskins said:

I would like to add some sound to a diesel and one into a tender that could be connected to a steam loco. Looking around sound systems run the gammit from about $35 to $300 and include polyphonic and non etc… etc… I know in most cases you get what you pay for but is there anything that surprises? I have heard some of these online and the real difference seems to be in the horns and bells sounding almost real or like something I had on my HO train table 30 years ago.
For my particular needs I’m basic DC track powered.

How would you rank the major sound systems.

1 Phoenix PB8 PB11?
2 Sierra
3 Tsunami
4 Zimo
5 QSI
6 Revolution Crest
7 Dallee
8 NRRR inc.

What did I miss? and how would you rank the systems considering best bang for the buck?

Hi Todd,

I am new around here and came upon your posting. Honestly, I have very limited experiences with sound systems thus far. I want to incorporate a sound system into my OBB Taurus locomotive. Almost all the sound systems listed are first rate, but have some minor differences. I suspect, ease of installation is also a major concern. I prefer plug and play type situations. Whereby, the engine has a preset up feature(s) that allow one to purchase the sound system of their choice and with little technical knowhow can install within an hour or less and have it coded and running with all sounds available.

I also like a stereo based system. One that allows one to feel as though they are literally standing right next to an AC6000 for example and they can here the air tanks bleeding off and a horn that blows one away. Now THAT’s a sound system. I once had a Lionel AC6000 that had such a sound system already installed, but it lacked depth or perhaps some base. I realize that it was pre installed and that might be the problem. Not everyone hears the same. I am almost deaf in my left ear. So, I don’t hear like a normal person might.

I will tell you this though, I watched a video that was made by this fellow and he had his Mozart Taurus playing Mozart. The sound was incredible and of course, the musical piece was simply beautiful to listen to. The German women’s announcements were incredibly realistic and I felt as if I were in Austria awaiting my train.

A truly perfect sound system does not exist, but it is up to the person to decide what they are hearing or listening too sounds perfect for them. jmo

Stacy

Stacy Krausmann said:

A truly perfect sound system does not exist, but it is up to the person to decide what they are hearing or listening too sounds perfect for them. jmo

Stacy

That is so true Stacy. Some folks like the sounds from a basic Bachmann engine while for others it is only a top of the line DCC controlled system. Believe me if I had the money all my locos would sound amazing but in the real world there are compromises to be made. What is great about this hobby is it is a very as you like it, good enough for me, don’t let anyone tell you it is wrong pursuit.

Todd Haskins said:

Stacy Krausmann said:

Stacy

That is so true Stacy. Some folks like the sounds from a basic Bachmann engine while for others it is only a top of the line DCC controlled system. Believe me if I had the money all my locos would sound amazing but in the real world there are compromises to be made. What is great about this hobby is it is a very as you like it, good enough for me, don’t let anyone tell you it is wrong pursuit.

Well stated Todd and I agree. Honestly, I did not mean to bring up my deaf ear. Kind s got used to it, but it seems funny to me when I hear certain sounds from trains, they never quite get them as perfect as I know I would like, but they sure are close…js

Stacy

I’m a bit of a heritic when it comes to sound, I realize, but I can’t stand the noise that comes off the back of the speaker, causing the plastic of the tender or hood of the diseasal to vibrate a bit (a lot?) behind the sound coming directly from the speaker. It sounds to me like reverberation. Horrible.

I’ve decided not to use any sound cards in my locos. The sound I hear in my mind is much better, anyway, and a whole lot cheaper.

Now, if I could just get the voices to shut up. :slight_smile:

Some systems like Zimo and Phoenix can be reprogrammed by the end user and can be reused in any engine. Both of these are polyphonic.

Of course one must purchase the programmer and the Phoenix has an awesome graphic interface and easy to use for a beginner.

There are others that can do the same, Greg should tell us which ones are also reprogrammable, I only have ewxperience with the 2 I mentioned.

Many older sound units were not user programmable but some could have the sound chip swapped out.

1 Phoenix - can have new sound files downloaded, some customization, sound only
2 Sierra - can change file only by changing chips, out of production
3 Tsunami - cannot change sound files
4 Zimo - can change sound files, combination decoders, somewhat customizable, many sound files cost money, few USA prototypes
5 QSI - can change sound files, very customizable, more sound files and active development on new sound files, has stereo output
6 Revolution Crest - pretty basic sound, ability to change sound files promised for several years, no customization
7 Dallee - very basic sound, not polyphonic, poor quality compared to all above, horn can sound like crushing a sheep with pliers comparatively, cannot change sounds
8 NRRR inc. - have not used…

Greg