Large Scale Central

Rail Size Question

I just recently made a purchase on Evilbay for some Rail, that the seller listed as Galvanized, which I had assumed was really aluminum rail. He did not list the rail size and I didn’t ask as it was a real good deal for 105 feet of rail. I got it a couple of weeks ago and this weekend I opened it, to make a turnout and it looked odd. I put it up next to some code 332 rail and it was larger in size. I measured it and the base of the rail is 3/8 " wide and the height is also 3/8" and the head of the rail is 1/8" wide. Does anyone have any idea what code this rail is and who would have made it. I am thinking that it would be for either 7/8 or 1" scale.

Dan

Well if it is 3/8 tall it is code 375. “code” is simply the measurement in decimal of the height of the rail. Now as to it purpose I have no idea. I tried looking up code 375 and no such luck. Did it turn out to be aluminum?

Dan,

It certainly is too tall for our trains! It would work for 5" gauge (1" scale, or 1in:ft). I don’t think they work in rail ‘codes’ like us. It may also be galvanised for outdoor use.

Pete Thornton said:

Dan,

It certainly is too tall for our trains! It would work for 5" gauge (1" scale, or 1in:ft). I don’t think they work in rail ‘codes’ like us. It may also be galvanised for outdoor use.

Pete,

As a matter of fact, they DO work in codes like we do. I use code 1000 for my 1.5 ride-on stuff. That is 1 inch tall. Called West Coast code 1000, 1" tall and WC rail has a wider base for more stability than the “lighter” code 1000. Just FYI.

As far as Dan’s 3/8" tall rail, it would be too small for 1" scale. Even 1/2" is tool small. Marty uses 5/8" tall on his layout in Nebraska. Made by Accucraft.

So the mystery remains. I look forward to the answer. So to small for 1", and 7/8ths guys use regular 250 or 332 g scale track don’t they typically?

What do F scale standard gauge guys use. I know they are doing their own track work but I would think it would only be 250 or 332.

Devon Sinsley said:

So the mystery remains. I look forward to the answer. So to small for 1", and 7/8ths guys use regular 250 or 332 g scale track don’t they typically?

What do F scale standard gauge guys use. I know they are doing their own track work but I would think it would only be 250 or 332.

Devon,

Try this link: http://www.cumberlandmodelengineering.com/WhatIsFScale.html

Ok that answers that. As I suspected Dave is using code 250 for his standard gauge F. So it wouldn’t be that either. It seems to big for any of the 45mm usages and to small for the bigger stuff.

Gauge 3 maybe?

Not sure still, it is looks like aluminum, but could be galvanized. each section is 5 foot long. I had thought it might be for some of the larger size live steam modelers. I am thinking about figuring out what scale to build in based on what real rail would be in size. If I decide that it will be say 60 pound narrrow gaude rail, then I could figure out what scale it would be used for. Then Build some equipment for a front yard railroad for halloween and Xmas. Maybe it could work out to be able to use my Old 12" GI-Joes for the people. Or if they are too large, go for some 8" tall figures.

Dan

Well after checking what the dimensions of real rail is for the various poundages. If I go with 60 pound rail, then the 3/8" rail that I have would equate out to 1:12 scale 60 pound rail has a base width of 4 1/2" and its Height is 4 1/2" . I drew a rail this size in my CAD program and then the printed it out in scale till the width of the printout measured 3/8" That scale was 12 percent. So if this rail would be for 1:12 scale the figures would be 6" tall for a normal 6 foot tall person. This could be an interesting project. Everything would be twice the size of G scale, But have lots of sources for materails as Doll houses are in 1:12 scale.

Dan

Buddy L Rail ???

Isn’t 7/8ths 1:13?

edit its 1:13.7 so it would be very close to a 60-65# rail in 7/8ths (according to your calculations not mine). So do a nice 7/8 ths scale layout.

Dan, a magnet will answer the question of galvanized steel vs. aluminum very quickly.

Also, I would think the significant difference in weight between the 2 materials would be somewhat easy to discern.

In a silvery color, you could also have nickel silver, but that would be very expensive and rare in that size rail.

Greg

Am I missing something here…Dan, or am I reading you wrong…?

You suggest, after buying rail, sight unseen; that you are going to develop a scale based on the dimensions of the rail, and build rolling stock to those dimensions…

Isn’t this akin to putting the cart before the horse…

The next question is; what happens when you run out of rail, and need more…? Where will you find more rail the same size, if it is not a commonly available commodity.

What sometimes appears to be a bargain, can end up costing you in wasted time, labour, and material. Seek some sensible, common sense advice, before proceeding much farther.

Of course, if you have your mind fully made up, and are enjoying yourself…go at it…HAVE FUN.

Fred Mills

Rick Marty said:

Buddy L Rail ???

That’s what I was thinking it might be

I think I’d just build it into the back section of the railroad and not worry about it. You’ll need to figure out some sort of adapter to join it to your .332 rail.

I say give it to Vic. His layout would be huge with 100 feet of rail.

105 feet of rail is about 52.5 feet of track. Even if it was 105 feet of track, that isn’t all that big. I have a small railroad at around 160 feet of track.

Vic does it in under ten feet (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Well Dan, is it magnetic or not?