Large Scale Central

Rail Size Question

I’d connect it to my current track and spray paint it black, I did that with some out of scale track that I was given in HO, I put it in sections at the distant areas and the back or in tunnels and cuttings out of sight and unless someone was being a serious rivet counter most visitors failed to notice it.

My advice is use it and don’t worry about scale.

If it is “galvanized” it may be coated over some alloy hopefully not magnetic as rust is now a huge issue unless you are using battery power.

Tom Ruby said:

I think I’d just build it into the back section of the railroad and not worry about it. You’ll need to figure out some sort of adapter to join it to your .332 rail.

With the new rail being 5/8 tall you could just file a notch in the end that would leave "1/4 of the foot. Set the new rail on top, maybe a 1-72 screw up from the bottom.

That’s a pretty big step though. Perhaps a trolley line that 50" long and the trolley can just go back and fourth. How far is to the mailbox?(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Randy, he states 3/8" tall not 5/8".

It’s 0.043" taller than code 332. That’s a little less than 3/64" to us landlubbers.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Randy, he states 3/8" tall not 5/8".

It’s 0.043" taller than code 332. That’s a little less than 3/64" to us landlubbers.

Greg

Ooh, Thanks Greg! That’s even better and not so ridiculously large then. Cutting a notch would leave just a nice flat foot of the rail then. That would be the perfect pad to sit the code 332 on. Again I’d put a small screw up thought to hold things. Lay it in a tunnel or back yard track and no one will be the wiser. Just need tie strips that fit.

Or use it for storage tracks. Or sell it on Ebay to some other unsuspecting…

There are plenty of options.

Still waiting to hear if it is aluminum or steel.

Greg: the rail is Aluminum, not galvanized. A magnet will not stick to it.

Fred: What I am going to use the rail for and build rolling stock for is for a small oval that I can put up in the front yard for the holidays, using this rail. My garden railway will continue to use code 332 rail, whixh is a combination of steel and aluminum ( Regular steel and not stainless steel. Yes I know it will rust, but I dont care as I am running battery only)

So I will build to what I have available only for the holiday layout. I am concerned that I wont be able to get anymore of this rail. I paid more for the shipping than I did for the rail, so I got a real good deal.

Was Buddy L rail Steel or Aluminum?

Dan

All I can find is sectional track, all steel, rail welded to the ties.

I could not find a record of bulk rail, nor does it fit their “ready to roll” model.

Greg

Could this possible be rail for Buddy L trains. If so its probably worth more to the Buddy L folks.

Stan

Dan Stuettgen said:

Was Buddy L rail Steel or Aluminum?

Dan

All the rail I have ever seen was steel I believe. It also had Bethlehem Steel stamped on it. So if it’s not magnetic I guess it’s back to the drawing board?

Same question asked in this thread June 3. All Buddy L rail was sectional as far as I can find, this is 5’ bulk rail, no ties. All buddy L track was sectional with metal “ties” welded to the rail. This rail is aluminum (seems to be, although could be nickel silver) Pretty darn sure not Buddy L track. Buddy L “rail” seems to never have existed. Regards, Greg

Stan Ames said:

Could this possible be rail for Buddy L trains. If so its probably worth more to the Buddy L folks.

Stan