Large Scale Central

Raccoon!

The past few months a raccoon has been causing havoc with my railroad. Tonight I got a really good photo of him in our neighbor’s juniper tree:

I’ve seen or heard him in that tree on several occasions. I don’t know whether he’s living up there or just likes to hang out there. He also uses it to get onto the roof.

He’s cute, but sure is a pest. To borrow a line from The Untouchables – “I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burnt to the ground!”

Ray,

You already stated what you must do. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Aww, he is cute. And he looks young. Why would you want to hurt the little guy? Couldn’t you just get some motion activated lights to scare him away?

David,

Motion activated lights don’t scare them away. It just lights up the area so they can see better to do their mischief! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Rocco, our resident raccoon has no real fear of people, in fact I’m convinced he thinks he is a cat, I was feeding the cats out back one morning and after the two cats came over the fence I hear another one climbing look over and see Rocco peaking over the fence. He’s come right over to me in the past when I was feeding the cats like he’s expecting food just like another cat.

Raccoons are tricky devils.

In my opinion, any animal that’s smarter than I am deserves to be shot.

Living in the 'burbs, my options for disposing him are really limited, so I’ll have to look into getting a live trap and relocating him.

Hey Ray,

If you want to trap him (I don’t have the heart to kill them) here are some things to consider.

Drop him off more than 5 miles away. They can find their way back if you drop them any closer.

It’s best to do this during the first month of summer. Earlier and you risk taking a mother away from babies and starving them. If you go much later than early summer they won’t have enough time to find a new home and stock up on supplies for winter.

Also support the trap up on block at each end so when they go to the potty in there it won’t be caked up in the wire mesh. It’s also almost necessary to cover all the sides but the entry as they will just reach in and pull the bait out the side rather than go in. (they are smart) Best to use block to do this and lay one on top too because they can throw those traps around like a child throws toys. ( they are strong too)

Hope this helps

Aw, be gentile, racoons are people too.

Ray Dunakin said:

The past few months a raccoon has been causing havoc with my railroad. Tonight I got a really good photo of him in our neighbor’s juniper tree:

I’ve seen or heard him in that tree on several occasions. I don’t know whether he’s living up there or just likes to hang out there. He also uses it to get onto the roof.

He’s cute, but sure is a pest. To borrow a line from The Untouchables – “I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burnt to the ground!”

Ray, why don’t you tell us how your really feel ?

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Hey Ray,

If you want to trap him (I don’t have the heart to kill them) here are some things to consider.

Drop him off more than 5 miles away. They can find their way back if you drop them any closer.

It’s best to do this during the first month of summer. Earlier and you risk taking a mother away from babies and starving them. If you go much later than early summer they won’t have enough time to find a new home and stock up on supplies for winter.

Also support the trap up on block at each end so when they go to the potty in there it won’t be caked up in the wire mesh. It’s also almost necessary to cover all the sides but the entry as they will just reach in and pull the bait out the side rather than go in. (they are smart) Best to use block to do this and lay one on top too because they can throw those traps around like a child throws toys. ( they are strong too)

Hope this helps

Now we need Raccoon Social Workers ? LOL

Dan, I will pass on that. I did my bit by being a Raccoon foster parent.

'Coons are s’posed to be nocturnal, in fact, I was told by someone who claimed to know, that if you saw a 'Coon out in the daytime, it was a sign that the 'Coon was sick. My lovely bride and I went canoeing the very next day with the self-proclaimed expert on the Little Spokane River, and wouldn’t you know it, we came across three families, mother and kits, on the shore, teaching the kits how to hunt. The “expert,” had little to say. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I have a little baggie of firecrackers. I’ve set off 2 this year.

The first encouraged the mountain lion to mosey on and yesterday at dusk there were two Javalina about 300 pounds each that defied my clapping and hammer strikes (on wood) and stared at me. One Pop! and they joined the herd … eventually.

I don’t throw them at them, I pick a fire safe spot.

John

Steve, most of the time if you see a coon in daytime something is wrong with it. But, kits are a different story, they are awake when they wake up, and they sleep a lot, so mom was taking the opportunity to teach them when they were awake.

Be careful what you wish for, Ray. His house just might be your house!!!

You might try sprinkling a generous amount of ceyanne (hot pepper) powder around, it make him move on.

Ben H.

Ray,

I agree with Ben…a 'Coon who has set up shop in YOUR house will be extremely difficult to remove. Another option, feed him…a shrimp or two laced with cyan, but let go rancid before feeding. The rancid will not affect the racoon, but the cyan on his tongue WILL. I am also told (not confirmed) that a large dose of camphor (moth balls) will also deter them.

Bob C.

I grew up learning that Moth Balls were the way to go. My wife forbids me to use them as they are carcinogenic.

Dan, your are supposed to put them where the 'coon is, not where you are…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

David Maynard said:

Steve, most of the time if you see a coon in daytime something is wrong with it. But, kits are a different story, they are awake when they wake up, and they sleep a lot, so mom was taking the opportunity to teach them when they were awake.

That was my point, David. The “expert,” was very, very quiet.