Large Scale Central

Putting Ties On The Track While Still In Place

With the current topic of putting on tie strips, and all jousting going on in another thread, I thought I would see if there was interest in the tool that puts the ties on the track while still in place.

I invented the tool when a strip of my AristoCraft ties turned to chalk and I didn’t want to pull up the rail to replace them. All of my rail is jumpered, and even if I did pull it up, it is a real PITA trying to slide the ties over the solder blobs that remain after removing the jumpers. It works well on the AristoCraft European ties, and probably others that I haven’t tried

This shows the section that I replaced in-situ. It was right next to a turnout that is fastened down and you can clearly see that this was done in place and the jumpers were left untouched. It was going to be a real pain to pull this up to replace half a dozen ties.

The second picture shows the versatility of the tool. This can be the cure for those extra wide spaces between the sections of track at the joiners. It can even put the tie on over a jumpered joiner.

If there is interest, I can locate and post pics of the tool and tell how to make your own. The old pics went bye-bye with LSOL.

Sounds interesting - especially if I could get it to work with AMS track…

Yeah No kiddin…

Would like to see the pics of the tool and how you did it…

Show us more!

-Kevin.

Todd,

I too would love to see your invention! :wink:

Some more railway inventors:

http://www.gocurrency.com/articles/invention-rail-road

You see Todd and Joe, we are all in good company. lol

Wind and sails…

Sources…

There is a common type of pliers that have jaws that open when you squeeze the handles… I’m sure this could easily be modified to spread the ‘spikes’ on Aristo track. Simply grind down the outsides of the jaw tips until the tips can slide between the plastic and the rail. Squeeze the handles and you can make the tie open wide enough to pop on.

In my old profession we called them Ring opening pliers, there is a similar plier for auto brakes… tho bigger.

In my pocket is a pocket knife I bought in 1993, besides the normal blade it has a short curved one, I think for scraping sinew, it works great for pulling the spike head out from under the rail and with a twist puts it back in place. Like Todd I looked online for a supplier, but balked when prices were for thousands…

I bought the knife in Ulen Russia,cost 39 new rubles… $0.039 What a deal!! Of course if you factor in the boat ride…

When I grabbed the pic, I saw that they are more common due to body piercings… and a wide variety of shapes and sizes and prices… I’d search for a discount jewelry supply for one.

Hope this gives ideas…

I edited to add second pic, first… the one with the box joint will lead to hand fatigue (2nd pic) because squeezing closes… The first pic has the proper hinge…

John

This is hilarious Todd… you complain about me having the picture of your tool on my site without naming you, I remove the pictures from my site, and now you won’s show them to the rest of the group?

Well, if this goes south, I guess I could secretly send the pictures to anyone interested. They WERE posted on a public forum with no copyright.

Greg

I have some pliers similar to those in the right hand pic John but, thanks to my shaded garden and gentle climate hopefully I will not need to replace any ties. Over eight years and so far they are mighty fine.

Those pliers are generally referred to as “Retaining Ring” pliers. Come in straight and off-set. In my previous life I had a complete set.

Greg Elmassian said:

This is hilarious Todd… you complain about me having the picture of your tool on my site without naming you, I remove the pictures from my site, and now you won’s show them to the rest of the group?

Well, if this goes south, I guess I could secretly send the pictures to anyone interested. They WERE posted on a public forum with no copyright.

Greg

You really are unbelievable. What is your ------- problem?

As you well know LSOL no longer exists and with it went the pictures of my tool on the Internet. I have since changed computers and upgraded from Windows XP to 7 PRO, and much was lost in the change-over because many of the files were stored in a program for my old digital camera under “Program Files” and under the new system this would not transfer.

I have to go through the old back-ups to try to find and recover the pics, then have to repost them to this site as a new host before I can present them.

Why would I want to go to all that effort, if no body was interested?

Unbelievable.

For everyone else, I’ll try to get to this today. It does use a snap ring pliers and the jaws are bent from a nail.

Todd:

I for one am genuinely interested. To my mind this is sort of the reverse of that magician’s trick of pulling the table cloth out from under a table full of dishes.

I doubt that I will have your specific issue since my track is all indoors. But as they say “inquiring mind want to know”!

Thanks for the effort.

I’ve been able to recover the article I prepared, but am still looking for the pics. I fear some may have been lost, because most in the file with those I’ve already shown are “stock pics of a flower pot.” Those in the file that are for the article are just more pics of ties that have been put on.

But here is the article and if I can’t find the pics, I can take new ones.

A Simple Devise to Replace AristoCraft Rail Ties

After 12 years of service the Tortoise and Lizard Bash Railroad had lost a few rail ties along the way. This happens either due to the track being stepped on, or in one specific spot, because the ties had turned brittle and crumbled with age. I needed to replace these ties but was hesitant because I didn’t want to remove the track.

I use sectional AristoCraft Code 332 brass track with European ties and each section uses 16-gauge jumpers to ensure continuity with the next section (Figure 1). Removing the track meant removing and replacing these jumpers as well as the track connectors (contending with the tiny screws), and to make matters worse, a track power feed. Furthermore, the spot where the ties had crumbed was adjacent to a turnout that is fixed in place and not easily movable. As such, this section of track afforded little slack to undo and remove rails to replace the ties. Finally, because we do use soldered jumpers, the existing solder coating on the track must be thoroughly removed in order to slide the new ties onto the rails. This was a chore that I had put off for a couple years and was not looking forward too.

The idea occurred to me that I could use an “external” snap ring pliers to make an “anchor spreader” that would simultaneously spread the plastic tabs that actually hold the track to the ties (Figure 2). Researching such a devise, I found that real railroads actually do have a piece of MOW equipment called an “anchor spreader” that does essentially the same job, albeit by different means. The spreader would allow the rail to be inserted into the anchors without damaging the plastic tabs. It was serendipity when I found how easy the tool was to use and the fact that I could now place ties right over rail joiners to get rid of the tie gaps between track sections (Figure 3).

Snap ring pliers are typically used for installing the clips used to hold round objects in place such as the wrist pin in an automotive piston or a wheel on an axle. They look like an ordinary set of pliers except that the head usually comes to a point, sometimes at an angle, or allows the attachment/insertion of pointed pieces of wire with which the circlip is held (Figure 4). On an “external” snap ring pliers, when you squeeze the handle, the jaws open, to expand the snap ring, rather than close as on standard pliers. For this project, look for a snap ring pliers that allows for the insertion of the wire bits, held with screws as shown on pliers on the right as opposed to one that has interchangeable “heads” as shown on the left in Figure 4. The one I use, included in the photo, is manufactured by KB Tools (KB 442 now replaced by KB 446), and is available at tool outlets. I also found one that uses the wire inserts at the Kragen/O’Reilly Auto Parts stores marketed under the Power Built label.

We’ll construct our own “jaws” that will be used to spread the anchors (plastic tabs) apart and insert the track onto the ties. To do this, we need a piece of wire that is stiff and strong. Looking around the garage I found a wire “stake” made of galvanized steel wire with a curved top used to hold bender board in the ground (Figure 5). This was strong yet easy to bend to shape. A wire coat hanger or maybe even a nail could also be used.

The jaws, (i.e., two pieces of wire) are each ~2-1/2” long. On one end of the jaws, each piece of wire was flattened by pounding it an anvil with a big hammer. The wire was curved just beyond this flattened area by clamping it in a vise alongside a screwdriver, and bending it around a screwdriver by tapping it with a regular hammer. The flattened areas were then ground down straight in alignment and a final bend was added so that the metal curves back to grip the anchor plates. Because the wire diameter was too big to fit within the snap ring pliers, the other end of each jaw was “rolled” on the sander to decrease its diameter so that they would better fit into pliers. Figure 6 shows the disassembled jaws while Figure 7 shows the complete assembly.

I found it easiest to install single ties as the webbing between multiple ties makes it more difficult (but not impossible) to install them in a group. Simply clear some ballast and slide the tie under the track where it is to reside. Squeeze the pliers to open the jaws and inset the pliers over the rail from above. Slide the pliers along the rail to between the anchor plates. Squeeze the pliers opening the anchor plates and pull up and over the rail with a rocking motion. The rail will pop into place as the pliers pull out from between the plates. Do the same on the other side of the tie and it’s done. It helps to use a finger to hold the first side in place as the second side is inserted. In some cases (such as installation over a rail joiner), it is helpful to first place the ties in hot tap water to soften them, or use a shot of lubricant to help them more easily slide over the rails to minimize damage to the anchors.

I’ve not tried the tool on LGB ties nor have I used them on the AristoCraft American style ties. Additionally, older ties that have gotten brittle may not be work well. But for the installation of new ties, I can’t tell you the hours of work this little tool saved me. Maybe one could save some time for you too.

OK, the old pics appear to have disappeared so I took some new ones. The article describes the construction. This is my “second string” set of jaws and my nice set is at a manufacturing facility sitting in a file cabinet somewhere near LA. But it shows the principal and still works.

A nice set would be hammered a bit flatter with more arc at the tip to engage the ties and the piece will curve in on itself with a bit more arch to get it around the rails and place the tip arcs as close to the bottom of the rail as possible.

I was going to put a tie on in the picture but remembered that I stepped on one the other day removing one side from the rail. This is not all that uncommon of an occurance, at least on my railroad. So, I used the tool to put it back on. The web under the tie is usually cut away with an exacto knife to make room, but I didn’t do that here. Also this tie has been in place since 1997, watered 3 times daily, and I did not use any lubricant in its replacement, which would have helped the fish plate detail a bit.

Cool! :wink:

Thanks

Very helpful.

Sean

Brilliant!

-Kevin.

Well done, Todd. Permission to try to make one?

Great to see this thread ‘on track’ again. Smiley