Large Scale Central

Post-TrainOps layout work

Folks;

Perhaps there is some information on Inglenook Sidings somewhere on the web. It is a shunting (switching) layout that uses a system of tiddlywinks shaken in a pair of tumblers to assign the position for the cars in the outbound train, Very simple, but a lot of fun.

I built a OO version of it in the 1980s. Still have it, but don’t use it so much. (Kinda’ hard for a geezer to drag out and play with.) The track plan could easily be incorporated into a three track yard on a permanent layout. I used the short Hornby, Lima, and Wrenn goods wagons, but North Americal cars would work on longer sidings.

Best, David Meashey

Great ideas, Eric. Bruce and Linda also said just use cards. I’d really miss the dead cow on the track though…

Shoe-horned in another siding behind Goodsons. Enough for two tank cars.

And started the realignment of the downhill run to Majestic. I need to mill a bunch of bridge ties and do some stonework to get the ROW in place.

2 Likes

Looking forward to running that route!

You need a “Won’t clear man on car” sign here - and be sure to run the 44 Ton and a K past there with two cars spotted. Looks close!

I still want the Dead Cow on Track…
Oh, maybe “ass”? That’ll get Rooster up there in 2025!
:grin:

Yea, each one of the Goodson’s tracks need to be about 6” longer. I have some rocks to move to make that happen.

Just squeaks by.

1 Like

The ubiquitous mobile clearance gauge! That is the story on 80% of my indoor. If the 44 Ton gets by, all of my other locos should fit. The exception being on curves since the 44 is so short. A passenger car behind will test curves too.

Yep. And when I’m measuring tunnels, I use the 45 tonner and tow a caboose with a stack. Those are the tallest thing I have.

1 Like

Moved around a bunch of rocks, and laying down some track to get an idea of the curve that I need. The switch on the upper mainline is where the branch to Majestic used to meet. This will turn that 3%+ grade into a hair over 1%

5 Likes

That is SCREAMING steel plate girder bridge under the viaduct!!!

:heart:

Bridge approach trackwork completed. Next up is building the plate girder bridge where the white PVC downspout is. That will be the base of it, I need to mill up about 150 bridge ties first. When I have all the track pieces connected, I can work on the final position of the bridge abutments, and possibly a pier in the middle.

I wish I had realized that I was never going to use a bunch of 6Ft Aluminum T Extrusions that were surplus from a job. I was going to use them to reinforce the spongy floor spots in the old camper. I should have brought them to TrainOps. I’m sure someone could figure out a use for them.

Remove the now-unused switch from the upper line, and did some ballast work there. Once I have all the bridge ties milled, I’ll rebuild the track on existing through truss bridge as well as build the second bridge.

Milling bridge ties this morning, before the heat of the day. These are my standard 8x14, 9 feet long. I had some pre-cut stock already, just needed to cut them to length.

Rummaged through the wood shed and found all the red cedar and redwood. Milling those into 12x12 beams.

Hope to finish this up in the next hour or so.

3 Likes

Nice!! But you work so fast everything’s a blur!!

I’ve only recently discovered outdoor woodworking, and being mindful of the weather for setup and breakdown.

Great work! And I’ll look forward to seeing what you do with all those.

Just remember crotchless lederhosen is no longer all the rage these days. However assless chaps ARE coming back into fashion.

I think David Lee Roth still has his

It’s great to keep the dust out of your shop if you don’t have a collection system. I usually drag my saws out into the driveway. Last week there was just too much stuff that was in the way, so I cut in the garage. This is what ended up on the floor. Everything else in the garage has a nice coating!