Large Scale Central

Possible new indoor layout

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and would like to get some input on an indoor layout.

I just recently did a demo job at a friend’s parents house and removed a layout from above their garage. In payment, I was able to keep everything (but the rolling stock).
I ended up with a full compliment of all sorts of LGB track, about 20 or so piko? buildings, and a whole lot of trees. I would like to build a “shelf layout” in my garage in a u-shape with a possible connecting removable loop at one end. With only limited room, I am afraid some of the buildings won’t be able to fit, so I will have to sell them. Also, my current rolling stock takes the big curves so I have about 10 or so switches, plus about a circle and a half of the r600 curves I will be unable to use. Is it possible to sell on this forum?

The trains will be battery operated with some live steam as well.

I am hoping that benchwork, landscaping, track work, and incorporating shelves underneath the layout will all come together on this project. I am also hoping that things like this have been done by members here in the past.

Also, are there any programs that are good for railroad planning?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Matt

Matt,
You can sell in the for sale/ trade section?
Where are you located? You may be able to find people in your area to sell to, so you do not have to ship the items.

Welcome aboard,

Nico

Hey Nico, thanks for that advice.

I am located in Peoria, Arizona.

Matt

Welcome Matt!
:slight_smile:

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard Matt. You will find this to be a great group of guys on this forum to get answers from. I use RR-Track software that a friend gave me. It takes a little getting use to but I’ve used it to design an indoor layout that I plan on starting sometime in the fall after I get the area insulated and sealed up. The layout will be 15’ wide by 28’ long. It will give me something to do during the winter months when we can’t play outside because of the snow.

Keep us posted on your project with lots of pictures, we all like lots of pictures.

Chuck

Welcome Matt,

I use AnyRail and CADrail for commercial track planning. Both have a trial version, CADrail has a real learning curve, AnyRail is much easier. Both of them are accurate i.e. the tracks actually line up, something that is hit and miss with the other programs. Nope, I didn’t try all of the progs that are out there, but a lot of them. Usually takes 30 minutes to decide if it’s OK or just a PITA.

Hi Matt - I’m also an RR-Track user. I think it works pretty good for sectional track. It supports flex track but I’ve not had much luck with that. Part of my railroad is an indoor point-to-point. I’ve planned to expand it for years to add some operational interest for winter, but never seem to get it done.

Welcome Matt. Trust me as a fairly new member to this board, You won’t find a more helpful group of guys. Even the couple of old sore-heads aren’t to sore. The wisdom dispersed here is worth paying attention to.

Welcome,
Keep us posted on your progress.
Ralph

yeah, welcome aboard, Matt…

Cool another Innie. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Welcome to the Dark Side (well, until you turn the lights on over the layout, that is!)

Matthew (OV)

Victor Smith said:
Cool another Innie. Look forward to seeing the progress.
Hey I have an "Innie" ....wait no I don't Roosters don't have belly button's

Ha ha, can’t wait for the input and more of the already great advice! Progress and pictures will be posted as the project begins and progresses…

Matt

Also, it seems like I am out of luck having a mac with the layout planning software. Oh well, back to the old school paper and pencil

I’ll say it before “Rooster” says it. IS IT DONE YET!

Matt; sometimes that is the best way, yes I’m an Engineer with an AutoCAD program with all the bells and whistles, but I can not use the @#@# thing and I use Pencil and paper. Of course that is only a rough outline as you will change things as you build. Don’t let the whiz kids bug you, do your own thing!

Paul

Matt said:
Also, it seems like I am out of luck having a mac with the layout planning software. Oh well, back to the old school paper and pencil
I guess there are no search engines on MACs either since they are so intuitive :lol: :lol:

OK here’s a freebie for the MAC

http://www.railmodeller.com/Downloads.html

Cheers

HJ

E. Paul Austin said:
.................. yes I'm an Engineer with an AutoCAD program with all the bells and whistles, but I can not use the @#*@#* thing and I use Pencil and paper. ................
Hmmmmmmm I just had my Sunday smile! ;) :P :D