Large Scale Central

Port Orford Yard sterted...at last!

[b] Been busy as the proverbial bee lately since we’ve had a bit of respite from the rain(s).

Might not look like much but there’s about 4 days solid work there.

At least you can get an idea of the track configuration now. There will be a cross over between the two left side tracks to provide a runaround for locomotives terminating their trains here.

These are the two tracks for inbound trains as mentioned above viewed from behind.

And the 3 track yard. Actually two tracks. The one closest the depot will be the team/freight house track. I had to finish the depot (there’s a posting on it in the Model Forum) in order to know where exactly to place the track. Usually I custom crunch the structure to fit the space but this time I wanted a certain size depot so I had to reverse the process. I’ve got a lot of roadbed to go yet on the approaches to the yard area including the approach track to the turntable. Of course there’s rain forcast for tomorrow and the next couple of days. Sigh![/b]

Nice to see your work continuing. Nick

I like it. Looks like quite a bit has been done since I was there. About how long is the entire layout? Do you run a shuttle service from one end to the other?..:wink:

Looking good Richard which is reward for the hard work. I like the depot very smart indeed. I can see from the pics why Tac likes to visit. lol

Looking good Richard. Hopefully the rain holds out for you. Cant wait to see more.

So Richard…will this be the end of the line? Looks good…as always :slight_smile:

Neat - I didn’t realize you had made it that far! That’s quite a run now.

a lot of work in 4 days… looking good…

I can easily believe thats four days of work, and then some. I know what yer talking about when it comes to precipitation, I could have completed my mainline yesterday had the rains stayed at bay!

Nice work Richard.

Nick Kelsey said:
Nice to see your work continuing. Nick
[b]Thanks Nick.[/b] You need to get out our way some day. Haven't seen much from your RR lately.

Ken: The layout’s about 220-230 feet long and Larry: yes, the end of the line. About all I’ll want to maintain.

Bart I’ve seen that you’re making a lot of progress on your line, a lot more than me for sure. The members of the procrastination club are losing faith in you. :wink:

Many thanks to you all for your comments.

Alan Lott said:
Looking good Richard which is reward for the hard work. I like the depot very smart indeed. I can see from the pics why Tac likes to visit. lol
Tac isn't fooling anyone. It's the fish & chips at Crazy's that's the attraction here. Ig is obviously the one that prefers the railroad! ;) :) :D

I think it’s time for a panoramic view, but I don’t think you can get far enough away to get it all in! How about a video tour or at least some shots along the way?

Bruce Chandler said:
I think it's time for a panoramic view, but I don't think you can get far enough away to get it all in! How about a video tour or at least some shots along the way?
Yeah ....anyhow ...

Looking great as usual Richard, but I’m with Bruce, a panoramic view or maybe a ‘ride along’ video from end to end. :wink:

Wait 'till I get the track down and I’ll see if I can make a video (if I can figure out how to use the new mini video camera). My “videographer” unfortunately lives in Virginia. The rest of the RR has been pictured with boring regularity over the years in still photos. I don’t want to put the entire website to sleep. hehehe!

I’m looking forward to this build. I agree with Randy…we need a “ride along video” from end to end. Glad to see you are building again!

NEVER boring Richard!

[b]Here’s an itty bitty tidbit in the meantime…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/richard_smith/2011/Sixes-2011-Jun26-Web.JPG)

A useful end for a surplus Bachmann boxcar. It has a potbelly stove inside but nothing more. It’ll be a shipping point and milk depot for local farmers as well as handling shipments from a planned adjacent livestock auctioneer.[/b]

Richard, Richard, Richard,

Here all this time I thought you had just been laying back in the Huckleberries verifying various grape vintages. But it turns out you have actually been working, and doing a spectacular job as usual.

The Depot is very nice and has some realistic size to it. Most large scale buildings if really looked at, would be lucky to hold 2 people and a box of apples without over crowding.

What kind of success are you having with your short (look like 3-4 inch) blocks in your track ladder. I have found that down here anything less than 8-10 inches will dry and split down the middle. And since the track holding screws are in the middle it is a major problem.

Glad to see you back at it.
Take care
Rick

Rick, Rick, Rick, :wink:

I have indeed been laying amongst the huckleberries waiting for the monsoons to stop and trying not to get nibbled on by the deer.

The blocks are mostly from ripped down PT 2x4’s and are only 2" long. 1/8" guide holes are drilled through the block centers before screwing them down. Track is attached with 17ga or 18ga brads, driven with pliers and a small hammer through the holes in the molded tie plates on the Llagas Creek track I use. Small (about a no.54 drill) holes are drilled here too into blocks through the tie plate holes to secure the track. No problem with splitting at all here. The predrilled holes help mightily to prevent any splitting.

One problem you might have there is the heat drying out the wood and encouraging it to split. If you caused the slightest crack(s) while nailing into the wood the heat will soon open those cracks up wide so it’s important to avoid any splitting however slight right at the start.

Hope your open house was a smashing success!