Large Scale Central

Port Orford Yard sterted...at last!

I hope you update the article (PDF) about your entire railroad.
It’s one of my favorite reads. I have it saved and burned to disc for posterity.
Your rr is a one of a kind.

Richard,

Yes “pilot” holes are the only way to go but even then I suffer some splitting even using the longer blocks. As you say it has to do with our nearly 90 degree seasonal temp. swing and the summer that last’s from May to November. However even as I type this I am sitting here looking out the window at the freeking rain coming down.

I imagine you’re getting it too, don’t you just love it? Hasen’t been wet enough this year we have to have some more.

To fasten the track down I have gone to “fender” washers and lathe screws installed loosly between the ties so the entire track can float around. Since I have gone to this method (went back and converted the entire railroad) no more track related expansion problems.

I have , on the new sections, gone to a different method of track support. I use a 1X4 edge trim in place of the 2X4 leaning rail and let it stick up 3/4 inch the track is then laid directly on top of the screen/weed cloth and fastened to blocking within the main structure. Gravel/ballast/dirt is then installed in a 1/2 inch layer. buildings sit on 1/2 inch cement board bases.

This has been in use for over 2 years now and has pretty well eliminated the warp and split problems I was/am having with the ladder method.

Anyway hope to get up your way sometime this Summer.
Rick

Thanks John it’s nice of you to say that. You can thank Steve Conckle however, one of the moderators on MLS, for the PDF file. I think he did a magnificent job of compiling my many incomprehensible posts and putting them into some semblance of order. He has promised a Part Two of the file at a later date.

Rick: We’re looking forward to seeing you and Pat. You can get some relief from the heat most days here. This is the only place I’ve ever been where you need ear muffs to view the fireworks on the 4th of July. hehehe!

I also hope Steve updates the PDF, it has always brought a lot of enjoyment around here. Is Port Orford where the the ferry terminal is?

agreed…excellent read even without full frontal nudity on the centerfold

Ric Golding said:
I also hope Steve updates the PDF, it has always brought a lot of enjoyment around here. Is Port Orford where the the ferry terminal is?
Nope. Just a dock for fishing boats and a couple of charters mostly. Except for a jetty there is no protection for the port from the ocean's tantrums so the boats are lifted onto the dock via one of two cranes.

When lumber was shipped out it had to endure a cable ride out to the ships anchored a bit off shore. There weren’t even bridges on much of Hwy 101 up here until into the thirties. The old stage road required fording rivers at several places. Not a trip for wimps.

We’re modern now though, we’ve got a traffic light! :slight_smile:

David Russell said:
agreed......excellent read even without full frontal nudity on the centerfold
You must have gotten the abridged edition. ;)