Large Scale Central

POC's Turntable Part 3 ... The Latching Mechaniam

[b] This is the third part of the POC’s turntable post. I thought about bumping the first two parts up to get everything together but decided that it’s wouldn’t be comely to bounce my own posts up over newer posts so the links are here for those that may want to refresh their memory. http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=13654 http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=13655 ****************************************************************************************

The mechanism is quite simple and resembles prototype installations I’ve seen. The redwood planking was cut to size to perfectly accommodate the brass strip between the rails and provide flangeways and is 1/8" thick. I plan additional planking later but what you see is all that’s essential for this part of the project.

This view shows the latch in the open position.

The bottom strip is just a 3/4" x 4" piece of sheet brass. You can buy this size in many hobby shops, some hardware stores and from Micro-Mark. I made the latch itself from the same size brass but the next size up in thickness for additional rigidity. The travel is approx. 1-1/2".

The latch here is in the closed position and locks the turntable in good alignment. The fit is fairly tight but a little slop is okay and even desirable as long as the rails align okay. It needs some clearance to move easily.

The only moving part aside from the turntable itself is the latch. As mentioned it is 3/4" x 4" brass strip. A piece of square brass tubing was soldered on top to give something to push against to move the latch and then painted. Be sure the handle doesn’t stick up above the rail head and you’ll have no clearance problems. I kept it removable to allow cleaning underneath and also to allow for lubricant should it be needed later. I’m not lubing mine unless it becomes necessary. While I was at it I added a simple backstop for the turntable end that ended in midair to avoid the potential for “little” tragedies. :wink:

The posts are 3/8" cedar dowel inserted into 23/64" holes. No glue. That pretty much completes the POC’s turntable at Port Orford. Yet to be done is the fueling rack which will be serviced directly by Bunker C tank cars and lots of additional planking. This will provide the equivalent of another industry (tank cars) as well as a place to fuel the engines.[/b]

Richard:

BIG Thanks for sharing your turntable construction!

First time I’ve seen the prototype-like alignment ‘tongue’ used in a model. It provides a very straight forward method of ensuring alignment, and your construction of it is really simple and rugged. I especially like the ability to remove the tongue for cleaning and / or lubrication.

Putting the moving tongue on the fixed track leading to the bridge really makes sense where you only have one TT lead track. The prototype one I’ve seen (scratching head wondering where??) had a moving tongue on each end of the bridge, but it also had several tracks to service.

I have a location that requires a TT, and hope to get it built and installed by next spring. I’ll certainly use your model for ideas and guidance.

Thanks Again, & Happy RRing,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Coming from an engineer that’s high praise indeed.

I’m glad you mentioned about the tongues being on the turntable ends as that is indeed what was normally done and just for the reason you mentioned. I of course put the tongue on the approach track because I used but one track. I can’t say that this was never done on the prototype but the arrangements I saw were on the bridge too because of multiple tracks as you stated.

Best wishes on your impending turntable project. BTW how’s your robotic fire fighting apparatus doing? I was fascinated by what your firm was doing.

Richard,
Shades of Dunsmuire.
Very nicely done, where did you ever find Redwood, I thought you
were in Cedar country :)=)
I also built the tongue into the approach track on my TT as I only had one track
incoming.
Beautiful turntable by the way.
Rick

That might make a neat “winter project” . Right now all I do is “eyeball” the alignment.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/chat/emoticons/good.gif)

this looks like something to be copied.

Richard,

An addition to the fueling should be a method to produce steam to heat the tank cars. Bunker C is only one very small step above tar and needs to be heated to flow. I learned this from my grandfather who was an engineer on the Pennsy between Hoboken, NJ and Philly, PA. …lllloooonnnnngggg time ago.

Bob C.

Thanks for the comments guys. :slight_smile:

Bob Cope said:
Richard,

An addition to the fueling should be a method to produce steam to heat the tank cars. Bunker C is only one very small step above tar and needs to be heated to flow. I learned this from my grandfather who was an engineer on the Pennsy between Hoboken, NJ and Philly, PA. …lllloooonnnnngggg time ago.

Bob C.

Yes that’s true. I remember reading of a new railroader’s experiences on the SP’s narrow gauge regarding trying to get the oil to flow. He had to resort to a blow torch to help. A very funny episode including finally spilling oil all over the place.

I’m very limited in space there but your suggestion is a good one. I’ll have to see if I can fit something half way believable in.

Richard Smith said:
Thanks for the comments guys. :)
I didn't comment I only showed ya' my smilin' face! ;)

Just remember to turn your locomotive with the heavy end over the table. If you do otherwise, you might come to grief.

Richard,

If a dedicated facility of some nature is not possible, maybe add a steam connection to the locomotive. D&RGW I believe powered a pile driver in that manner.

Bob C.

David Russell said:
Richard Smith said:
Thanks for the comments guys. :)
I didn't comment I only showed ya' my smilin' face! ;)
Well even your smilin' beak is purty good! I think the corn I spread about helped with the favorable response. ;)

Richard,
Wonderful work! I noticed you’ve blackened the nails/brads on the TT planking. Is that for aesthetics only?
Thanks,
Joe

Nice looking work Richard.

That looks great Richard. I have to build a turntable one of these days. Maybe this winter. I like the way you did yours.

Joe Bussing said:
Richard, Wonderful work! I noticed you've blackened the nails/brads on the TT planking. Is that for aesthetics only? Thanks, Joe
No that's just from natural weathering of the brads used. The deck boards are stained dark mahogany and will turn silver grey after a season or two lessening the contrast.

Thanks Dave & Shawn. :slight_smile:

Once again, nice work.

Thanks Ric. Am I still (hopefully) in your someday plans to stop by maybe?